Search the forum,

Discuss kinked, crimped and coiled 8mm pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking pipe size not BSP tap size, but sure you knew that.

:D hoping you would spend a bit of time thinking wtf, cant pull the wool over your eyes ;)

:D hoping you would spend a bit of time thinking wtf, cant pull the wool over your eyes ;)

I`m sure you will one day Shaun, I don`t pretend to know it all even with +25yrs experience of water & pumps. lol

Last edited:
Out of pure curiosity. What would it cost me in the region of for an upstairs repipe and the extra 7-8 metres of water section to be fitted in copper by a plumber. I know there must be many variables, just wondering for a medium sized 4 bed.

Can you chaps help please :)

I'm just working out where my 3 22mm pipes will enter the garage where the boiler and cylinder will be sited. I've looked into the calculations for notching and or drilling joints and trying to work out the best path. The rear of the garage is a simple breeze block so gather the boiler would have to be on the outside wall...

My question is, as the joist above the rear garage wall runs proud. It means that if I drop my pipes by notches, then they will enter the garage through the ceiling about 3-4 inch from the wall. Easily sorted with a few 90's, however I'm just wondering if that will hinder the flow much with it being so close to a few 90's so early on

Can you chaps help please :)

I'm just working out where my 3 22mm pipes will enter the garage where the boiler and cylinder will be sited. I've looked into the calculations for notching and or drilling joints and trying to work out the best path. The rear of the garage is a simple breeze block so gather the boiler would have to be on the outside wall...

My question is, as the joist above the rear garage wall runs proud. It means that if I drop my pipes by notches, then they will enter the garage through the ceiling about 3-4 inch from the wall. Easily sorted with a few 90's, however I'm just wondering if that will hinder the flow much with it being so close to a few 90's so early on

Use two 45 and make an offset

Thanks Shaun, I can't see a way around it without hacking the joists and adding even more bends to get them beneath the joists, which I'd obviously like to avoid.

One thing on the joist calcs, it mentions minimum and maximum distance from the ends as to where you can notch. Is there any issues doing one big notch at Max depth (23mm) for two of the 22mm's? With a bit of underlay between them

Depending on the thickness and depth of the joist, that should've done. Most flow+ returns for heating are run like this.

Thanks phoenix, they are 8inch joists @ 2.6m across, apologies for the curious cross measurements.

Calculator I used gives me 2 or 3 mm extra over the depth of the 22mm to avoid the boards above. One cut was done near the end of the joist 50mm from the minimum safe by the original fitter for a piece of 15mm, so I thought rather than cut a third notch, just expand that one given its already there

Thanks Shaun, I can't see a way around it without hacking the joists and adding even more bends to get them beneath the joists, which I'd obviously like to avoid.

One thing on the joist calcs, it mentions minimum and maximum distance from the ends as to where you can notch. Is there any issues doing one big notch at Max depth (23mm) for two of the 22mm's? With a bit of underlay between them

Do it like this, ignore the sizes

figuur1.27-page11.jpg

I'll drop the pipes down in that case and let my plumber cut and put some copper 45's in to make it look neat and tidy.

Drop the pipes 3 - 4 inches below the ceiling

Evening all.

I have yet another question about bath taps. I know there's no reason to use 22mm to the bath if using a combi, I also know to use 22mm if you have a vented cylinder. Is there likely to be a noticeable downside to running the final 2m in 15mm from my 22mm feed pipe assuming I use 1/2 taps? Thinking pressure, but will it be that noticeable on a pressurised unvented system

no you will be fine get as far as you can with 22mm (easily) then 15mm from there

Radiators.... Old ones to be exact. I gather they're worthless and I should take them to the tip? I only have 3 mediums to go

Yea worth nothing unless you have a ton and yes or to a scrap man

Stage 1 complete! I have removed the 2nd rad in the large room, soaking myself in the process as i only needed to cap two pipes - luckily it was only mains pressure (I would have had to drain otherwise).

I have also ran the extension to the rad feed ready for this to be soldered by my plumber, and placed the hot water feed parallel with 22mm copper then onto a 22x15x15 tee (to main bathroom and en suite shower)... my only query at this point was that i had to create an S bend in the 15mm going to this tee, it's tight but hasn't kinked, though it wouldn't enter the tee easily, so i removed it from the 22mm pipe to fit the 15's, then reconnected to the 22mm which seems to have done the trick - I imagine this will hold with superseal inserts pushed fully home even though there's a pressure from the pipe S bend on the fitting? (The S is spread between 1 beam cavity).

Thankfully the main bath feed went down one beam cavity - the shower had to cross multiple beams for which there was existing notches from an old pipe route, these are either just below (2mm) or rest on the floorboards, but are definitely not squashed by them - although i expect plastic pipe on boards won't have the same issue you get with the banging copper variants.

Last edited:
Post a pic up of your s bend thing if you can

Not really, easily - the boards are back down.

With the sounds, it could be a potential issue? the 15mm pipe exits the top of the beam and heads at roughly 35 degrees towards the tee, then bends another 35 degree when it gets to entering the tee.

20160120_201047.jpg

Shaun, I decided to remove the boards again and fit a 135 elbow on the off chance the angle was too tight, rather be safe than sorry for the sake of £3.50

You can also see the new 22mm feed in the top right of the picture, I need to get my plumber to attach that the pipe with the bend in. Nice bit of tight soldering required :)

Last edited:
two problems i see is

no felt on timbers (copper pipe) so will make nosie when heating

jg ring is too close to timber if pipe is pulled changes of it pushing the ring in

and whats with the yellow glove finger?

What a mess. That soldered tee doesn't look good. Perhaps leaking

Haha the rubber finger was a way to keep the pipe sealed as I'm not sure when the plumber can attach. As you can see here it'll be a pain to do... Luckily the 15mm running to the feed can be removed now, the 15mm return will have to be capped at a later date otherwise it'll be too difficult to relocate before the new system is fitted.

Regards the ring being too close, I did think that but upon locking the joint, that ring also locks, or appears to? I can shorten the 15mm going to it easily enough, that will pull the 22mm out where I originally fitted it... Or further up the run a clip could solve that issue.

Underlay... I hadn't bothered as these pipes are just ever so slightly too high, not because of the notches but because of the join art the bend being too proud. When my chap puts a tee in there I'm hoping that will address that issue and sink the pipes a few mm into the notches

What a mess. That soldered tee doesn't look good. Perhaps leaking

It's not great is it. That joint luckily isn't leaking but will be removed when the T gets installed to the downstairs feed... Where the yellow finger is :)

You really need pipes notched in centre of each board. And it is much better to put only one pipe in below each board. That way you have no damage to joist and plenty of joist to screw board to, but also plenty of space between each pipe for soldering and bending pipes to tees

That would have been the ideal, I've not actually cut any notches apart from the hot water feed with the 22x15x15 jg connection. I'm just trying to make the best of what was done originally.

Question... When I convert the feed and returns to the rads to 15mm, the plan is to use holes mid beam as there are a couple of points where notches won't be possible. Can you buy stubby bits to get the makita between the beams to drill? Gathering angled holes won't be good for the joists

use a side drill/ angle drill and stubby augers

Thanks Shaun...

Here's a picture of the landing area... The white hot water pipe doesn't look great and I can't fit the clips I've bought. Will it be OK or would you dig the notches a bit more and fit clips to neaten it up. I used notches that must have been used for a previous installation.20160120_201127.jpg

use a multi tool and clip it and use nail ons (talon make some good ones)

I would repipe everything if it was my house. I probably would do new notches in proper places if floorboards not being replaced with sheeting.
Notching elsewhere isn't going to weaken already notched joists

I'll get some of those bought. I've a bag full of the clip in type which sit a little too proud.

It takes some planning this plumbing lark! I'm going to have to cut more floor boards out, where the 8mm hits the manifold's next. It looks like they were installed before the boards went down. All good fun!

I would repipe everything if it was my house. I probably would do new notches in proper places if floorboards not being replaced with sheeting.
Notching elsewhere isn't going to weaken already notched joists

The only part that's staying is the 22 you can see in that run. With one piece being lengthened to the new boiler site. I'm not too concerned about the 22mm, more worried about the 8mm I've got running to the majority of rads. I've deleted a rad in the larger bedroom now and bought a type 22 to increase the size of the remaining one - that deletion removed about 10 metres of 15mm, tied to the end of that 15mm run you can see in the picture, which is also going eventually.

Here's a bit of 65% efficient nostalgia for you... Since I've now learnt to tag pics from my phone :)

20160120_213752.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to kinked, crimped and coiled 8mm pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock