Discuss Installing a Wash basin regs? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DanW

I need the following in respect to installing a wash basin:

Building Regulations,
Water Beylaws,
Bs6700,
IEE Regulations.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks :)

Probably wants something to kneel on when fitting pipes to basin,nice for the knees and soak up any puddles :D:D

imho

most important reg is msitrwu section 1
thats the make sure its the right way up

If there is no pedastal for it to sit on, in order to gauge the correct height to hang the basin at you should be able to urinate in it comfortably.

like it lol never thort of that you mean between 800 - 900 mm ????

Thats what I love about this forum.
Lots of good advice that you dont find in a Treloar book:D

rocky

;)no, about 200mm from the floor;):D

didnt know you had false legs redsaw, old aquaintance of mine, who lost his in a farming accident used to boast his dragged along the floor when he stood up, made the females stare in the pub when he informed the world of this little gem (and he had his false legs on) :):):)

From my idea Bathroom if you are installing a washroom washbasin then washbasin can be either mounted directly to the wall using purpose built brackets, or they can me mounted into the top of a vanity unit. Mounting under a unit may be more fiddly to plumb in a confined space, however the advantage of increased storage space can make it worthwhile...

Last edited by a moderator:
For newbies

If you reason it out. Why would Earth bonding be required?

Well electricity seeks the easiest earth path. So if a washbasin has metal pipes and taps and somewhere in the house a faulty cable is touching those pipes then you have a route for the electricity to flow along. You touch the washbasin tap and you become part of the route if you are easier to go through than the Earth wire path.

That is why its not only Earth bonding that is required to be good but also the quality of all the Earth path has to have less resistance in than you do, because electricity will take the easiest route to Earth it can find.

I didn't think earth bonding was required anywhere other than at the meter, by the electrician. What's the point in earth bonding the copper at the washbasin when the mains is coming in via mdpe? or somewhere further down the copper line is a run of plastic?

I didn't think earth bonding was required anywhere other than at the meter, by the electrician. What's the point in earth bonding the copper at the washbasin when the mains is coming in via mdpe? or somewhere further down the copper line is a run of plastic?
could be wrong here but isnt water conductive eh??????

Yes does seem a bit soft.

But its not if you think about it. Supposing you have a short run of say copper pipe and then it changes to plastic. You have for all intents and purposes a bare copper wire. So if a live cable did touch it you certainly stand a better chance of being the easiest way to Earth. So they usually ask that all exposed metal surfaces be Earth bonded.

They usually quote an Earth fault, on an electric kettle placed on a SS sink top as an example of where a Earth fault current can come from.

could be wrong here but isnt water conductive eh??????
Yes - water does conduct electricity! So what would be the point of supplementary bonding if all the pipework was earthed by the water???? Perhaps the easiest route is the pipework. Of course, bonding isn't required where the electrical installation is up to current regs - RCD protected circuit.

Yes as you can see we all dont give a damn about the regs, when doing plumbing properly.

You will find that the only thing that matters is that the appliance works correctly - which it wont after you have done your first one (according to all the correct regs of course!!!!)

Plumbing is hard enough as it is without filling it up with pointless drivel. If the C&G taught you more practual plumbing it would be more useful . . .

I use my course books as draught excluders, and get info from real plumbers who have worked the trade for years . . .

And if I see Treyolar on the street, I will give him a slap for being so damn boring!!!

'Oy Treyolar - NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!'

[DLMURL]http://i.ytimg.com/vi/B-Iv9SnBGcg/0.jpg[/DLMURL]

If you are fitting a basin to a tiled wall and it is a half pedestal then you will need a fischer fixing kit.

And if you have the Bathroom Fitters Kit in the van drill a 30mm hole out of the tile to get access to the material behind (which will be either masonary or stud).

Fit the bolt through and you will be able to hang the sink.

http://www.*********.com/other/4.jpg
This is a Fischer Fixing Kit used to hang a basin.

You can drill a 16mm hole in a tile to fit that bolt above. But if you are drilling through the tile consider opening up the size to 30mm.

http://www.*********.com/jpgs/contemporary_bathroom.jpg
Hanging a sink like this will need some serious bolt action !

No pedestal increases the weight.

http://www.*********.com/jpgs/drillingtiles2.jpg

Above you can see we drilled a 30mm hole into the tile so the Fischer Fixing bolt slips right through to the wooden supporting beam behind.
Just screw into the beam.

So it makes sense when working out how high to hang the basin that you put the support in BEFORE you have the area tiled.....

http://www.*********.com/jpgs/sink3.jpg
Sinks can be heavy old things so make sure you have the right wall loadings !

http://www.*********.com/jpgs/kit2.jpg

The Bathroom Fitters Kit contains all seven critical drills that you will need for a project.

(Handy that !)

ref instal wash basin
part G building regs covers this

water bylaw have all been superseded by the water regs WRAS 2009

BS 6700 is the WRAS in effect

IEE regs 7671 2008 are covered in part P of the building regs and you now need to be certified competent

Part H of the building regulations covers waste pipework
Part H requires that adequate drainage systems be provided and also deals with pollution prevention, sewage infrastructure issues, and maintenance and adoption regimes for sewers. Technical design standards included cover sanitary pipework, foul drainage, rainwater drainage and disposal, wastewater treatment and discharges, cesspools, building over or close to public sewers and refuse storage. This part lays down standards for the provision of sanitary and washing facilities, bathrooms and hot water provision. It also covers safety requirements in respect of unvented hot water system as well

Part G of the building regulations covers sanitary installations
Sanitary conveniences and washing facilities page 5
Section 2 bathrooms the requirements page 8
hot water storage systems
Section 3 systems up to 500 litres and 45kw page 10
Section 4 systems over 500 litres or over 45kw page 14

Part P of the building regulations BS 7671 covers electrical installation including equipotential cross bonding of pipework

Water Regulations
The Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999 (the Regulations) BS6700 are national Government requirements for the design, installation and maintenance of plumbing systems, water fittings and water-using appliances in domestic and commercial properties in England and Wales.

The regulations are designed to prevent:
  • the inefficient use or waste of water
  • contamination of drinking water supplies
  • incorrect measurement of water supplied
The three main responsibilities arising from the regulations are:
  • Plumbing systems, water fittings and water using appliances must be installed and maintained to comply with the requirements of the regulations
  • Contamination of drinking water must be prevented
  • Advance notice of plumbing installation work must be given
These regulations are designed to replace all bylaws in England and Wales and are accepted by the law of the land as legal requirement and recommendations

hope this makes better reading for you AV

regards Keylock000

wras =Water regulations guide, have a look on the site . it'll give you advice on sizes etc, and what to put in line becos of the risk catagory, servicve valves and back flow devies ..

basin install examples to emulate (?):- BasinMaleTorso.jpg

Disregard Part P or IEE completely. I don't think plumbers have any obligation to earth bond anything unless they have disconnected the bond during the course of the work.

Supplementary bonding is not intended to be an earth path. It is intended to keep all equipment and exposed metal work at the same electrical potential. It does not supersede main bonding and is not an alternative. If not sure, get a spark but I wouldn't get involved unless requested by the customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Installing a Wash basin regs? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Could someone take a look at this for me please? Just had a boiler put in our property on a grant scheme. The boiler is great other than him not...
Replies
Views
Hi all This is only about my third/fourth post, so go easy. Also, I'm only an enthusiastic amateur, not a pro... I'm having issues with the...
Replies
Views
A number of issues have been raised from a boiler replacement. Boiler not operating and with no pressure. Tile damage Sprawling pipe layout in...
Replies
Views
I had a basin with separate hot water and cold water taps which functioned fine. Gravity fed system with hot water from cylinder and cold water...
Replies
Views
hi everyone , Im new on these forums , had my first post on the gas forum , so totally new to this one. I have been out to quote a bathroom...
Replies
Views
T
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock