Search the forum,

Discuss I am looking at doing a plumbing heating and gas course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Benjamin Hobson

Hi all,
i am about to leave the Royal Marines next year and I am looking at getting into plumbing/gas.
i have found a course I like the look of just wanted some advise on if this is the right way to go?
it is with brookehouse training ltd and is a multi-skilled gas engineer level 3 including plumbing, central heating, gas, appliance fault finding and a guaranteed workplace in writing to build my portfolio.
qualifications gained will be BPEC water regulations (bye laws), CITB intermediate gas certificate and CITB ACS assessments.
is this enough to get a start in the industry and to become gas registered?

thanks for all replys in advance

There are a lot of threads about private courses on here.I have seen very few positive comments and many comment about how expensive they are and that the qualifications offered are not what the trade is looking for.There are a number of threads on here specifically about Brookhouse Training.I have just read through one from March 2013 which gives a balanced review.

Welcome benjamin.
Start with check in plumbing courses in the plumbing forum.
And hopefully this will get you up and running with some advice interest.
Good luck and hope you enjoy it here in the UKPF

Just an extra question, how long are you looking at to build your portfolio up? Is 6 weeks enough as that's what they say?

It may also be a good idea to see how many other gas and plumbs are operating in your catchment area .

Hi, there are quite a few, but the training provider offers a work placement in your area guaranteed, I'm also willing to travel daily

Yes I understand that, but I think if you look hard enough and come across well that shouldn't be a problem, what I wanted to know was how long you think it will take to build a portfolio? Is it a certain amount of jobs? Hours?

Yes I understand that, but I think if you look hard enough and come across well that shouldn't be a problem

#6, there are quite a few in my area is what you said now that to me is a problem! Please take your Rose tinted glasses off for one minute.

How's that a problem? I'm not looking to set up a business? I'm looking to do the course and get work, which surely means the more in my area the better? Also I was on about a work placement in my area so again surely that's a good thing?

Righto, most people who come on here are looking to qualify and go self-employed straight away hence some of the replies you`ve been getting, now we know different may I suggest you go and talk to some of these guys in your area about the course and employment afterwards.

Yes fine but this "six weeks" to building a portfolio management means you have a lot to do whether it's just plumbing OR gas related.
For someone who is "looking" to complete it in compressed timing, you'd be best to adhere to hammers4spanner like he has explained.
Within your grasp
Try and get the latest and as much practical knowledge as possible.

You will get a placement easy i would imagine as training centres will take your money and pretty much pass you if you look safe enough .

Its the getting a decent wage after i would worry about .

What area are you ?

It may also be a good idea to see how many other gas and plumbs are operating in your catchment area .

That sounds like a new75mm Hammers4spanner .lolz
Merry Christmas mate and happy new year.

Hi all thanks for the response, to clarify I am not the kind of person to think that I could do an 18 week course and then set up a business, my plan is to get 5 years experience under my belt before I even think about that, just want a change in career and not expecting £40k a year I'd be happy with £20k - £25 and I'm sure I could get that with my attitude towards work.

Hello Ben, and welcome, You mention work placement in your area ? (Where Are You) I am located just outside Plymouth , large area for guys in the Marines, Not a good area to try for employment in the plumbing industry, unless you have got a few years experience , and that is the key factor, opportunities in other areas of uk could be better, Numbers in this area average around 600 , and not a lot of construction work going on just yet (Things in Pipeline) And this reflects on wages, I like a lot of other Plumbers in this location get numinous calls, emails asking for help to do what you are hoping to do, offering to work for free, just to gain experience, Don't just jump into this trade there are other opportunities in construction, do some more research B4 you decide and part with quite a large amount money, But good luck with what decide to do.

Hi jts plumbing yes I am based in Plymouth now but won't be looking for work there, thanks for the info though

Knowing what i know now and if i was say 34 years old in another job i would be looking at brick laying . Shortage of brickies down where i am and with a new town being built guaranteeing 20 years worth of work. The lads i know hit grand a week laying blocks, not for everyone but good wedge and in demand.

Let me put our experience simply.

We only do renewables, we don't do gas, oil, or lpg. Looking to the future, we are going to need more and more experienced heat pump (Ground and Air Source) and air con people.

You'll still need plumbing / heating basics - water regs, heating and G3, then add in Heat Pump and f-gas qualifications and in 5 years time you'll be choosing which employers to turn down :)

Benjamin
First you need some certification which I am sure you are aware off, next you need employment which will enable you to use it.
You ELC will fund a number of courses to provide training with resettlement funding. All you need is the determination and lots of luck. Best of that you will need plenty as this industry is saturated
Try C&G 2399

Last edited:
Hi quality, thanks for the advice, I get £2500 from ELC and resettlement so have to pay around £4000 myself, which is obviously better than the full £6700

Let me put our experience simply.

We only do renewables, we don't do gas, oil, or lpg. Looking to the future, we are going to need more and more experienced heat pump (Ground and Air Source) and air con people.

You'll still need plumbing / heating basics - water regs, heating and G3, then add in Heat Pump and f-gas qualifications and in 5 years time you'll be choosing which employers to turn down :)

Thank you for the advise, I will definitely look into that after I complete this course
Again thank you

I know everyone says the industry is saturated but it is in a lot of industry's, if you put the hard work in and are determined you can get a job in any saturated industry, there is a lot of luck and right place right time involved, but the more you try the more the percentage goes up. I am fed up with my job and have always been interested in this trade. I have thought long and hard about it and wouldn't give away a £37000 PA wage without been pretty sure I could make it work

F gas, Heat pumps is where you need to look.
To even think about about earning a gas safe engineer your looking at 2 - 3 years

You gotta weigh things up, a 20k a year job can be gotten without having to put yourself through hardship of training up as a plumber. You gotta take a hit in terms of low wages and the years you will throw at this trade. Unless you enjoy plumbing immensely there is little logical reason to make that sacrifice.
Hammers mentions bricklaying worth a think - quicker to master, quicker returns

Nothing is impossible the world is your oyster best of luck to you Ben!

Last edited:
F gas, Heat pumps is where you need to look.
To even think about about earning a gas safe engineer your looking at 2 - 3 years

So would I not be gas safe after this course? It says on completion I would be? Surely they can't say that if it's not true? This provider has been doing this for the military leavers for 10 years and must be legit as they are still doing it?
Getting confused now

Being gas registered and gas qualified are different . Ones the governing body overlooking how we work so to speak so that we are safe.

You gotta weigh things up, a 20k a year job can be gotten without having to put yourself through hardship of training up as a plumber. You gotta take a hit in terms of low wages and the years you will throw at this trade. Unless you enjoy plumbing immensely there is little logical reason to make that sacrifice.
Hammers mentions bricklaying worth a think - quicker to master, quicker returns

Nothing is impossible the world is your oyster best of luck to you Ben!

Thanks, if I wanted any job though I would stay in the marines on £37k a year but I have to enjoy a job so yes I could get a job for £20k easily but I want a challenge, as long as I'm getting a wage that pays the bills extra money doesn't matter that much to me at the minute

Thanks, if I wanted any job though I would stay in the marines on £37k a year but I have to enjoy a job so yes I could get a job for £20k easily but I want a challenge, as long as I'm getting a wage that pays the bills extra money doesn't matter that much to me at the minute

It may not matter much just now ! but losing 20K a year is a lot of money when your back in civey st, I am assuming your not married, not got a mortgage, and maybe going to move back in with parents, Trying to live on £400 a week (20k) pay for accommodation , food, running a vehicle suddenly 20K is not a lot and that is if your clearing 20K, single guy earning 20K after deductions will be lucky to take home 15K

In five years you'll be a professional.
Hi all thanks for the response, to clarify I am not the kind of person to think that I could do an 18 week course and then set up a business, my plan is to get 5 years experience under my belt before I even think about that, just want a change in career and not expecting £40k a year I'd be happy with £20k - £25 and I'm sure I could get that with my attitude towards work.

HIBen
ex RN here, started plumbing in my 40s now 56 and knees failed, wrist broken and back beggared. Be very aware the short course will teach you the same as a 4 year college course, but without the ability or time to get practical experience. A 6 week placement, if it happens and lots never do wont give you a lot, so what small or large plumbing firm will want to take you on?

I did 4 years day release at college, so around 100 days training and exams so a bit more than your course but the benefit of time to put things into practice and I did that through running a property development/renovation business for myself. then I also had some rents coming in to allow me to build my customer base. No one would have taken me on locally, so my only choice was to get out there on my own, plumbing initially, then gas, followed by oil and lpg. Specializing in AGAs and rayburns was another string to my bow. So now net some £50k plus after parts/appliances removed but before fuel, and other costs. Live happily on that myself but costs of van tools etc isnt cheap.

the fact your about to be an ex cabbage head gives you a great work ethos discipline etc, but that wont get you a job, folks want experience, knowledge and skill to make you worthwhile to them. You would be best to hit BG to see if they would train you up for free. I wouldnt bother with brick layer but I wsould look at airconditioning, as my cousin is now sitting pretty on millions as he got in there as computers needed cooling, and still do.

You can probably get into plumbing if your determined but just be aware we need more kit and tools than any other trade and everything about our choice of work seems to cost more than everyone elses :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to I am looking at doing a plumbing heating and gas course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock