Search the forum,

Discuss How do I become Gas Safe trained and registered in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

panamajack

Can anyone give me a step by step guide on how to become gas safe registered, including what course to go on and how to register, please?

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone give me a step by step guide on how to become gas safe registered, including what course to go on and how to register, please?

Thanks in advance.

I take it you have no experience in gas or related trade?

The ACS is desinged for people who are experienced installers or people with a related trade qualification wishing to also gain gas quals.

Therefore you need to complete a full gas qual at level 3 (NVQ or new diploma) or related qualificatio such as plumbing or H&V. Then you will also need to provide signed evidence of working with a registered gas installer of 240 days work on a variety of gas works including boilers, fires, water heaters, cookers, pipework, testing, purging etc etc etc

This help?

I take it you have no experience in gas or related trade?

The ACS is desinged for people who are experienced installers or people with a related trade qualification wishing to also gain gas quals.

Therefore you need to complete a full gas qual at level 3 (NVQ or new diploma) or related qualificatio such as plumbing or H&V. Then you will also need to provide signed evidence of working with a registered gas installer of 240 days work on a variety of gas works including boilers, fires, water heaters, cookers, pipework, testing, purging etc etc etc

This help?
be hard pushed to find any water heaters these days dont think ive touched one for four years i didnt bother taking it as an element when i renewed although im sure theres some lurking around
i used to love them as well diaphrams and pilots provided a lot of work
realy ive never seen why they were a seperate element any way

Last edited:
letsbe realistic, go to college, get on an apprentaship scheme, do your 4 years at college and work alongside a professional during this time, stay with the company 5 years plus then go and work for yourself.

Be aware, I saw 4 new plumbers vans in my area this week alone, there aint enough work out there at present, and the housing market doesnt need more ÂŁ70,000 a year hopefuls.

still want to do plumbing, good luck, go to college and take their advice.

or you could go the quick route spend thousands, get your gas safe, get your acs and then find no work....

everyone wants experience.....

be hard pushed to find any water heaters these days dont think ive touched one for four years i didnt bother taking it as an element when i renewed although im sure theres some lurking around
i used to love them as well diaphrams and pilots provided a lot of work
realy ive never seen why they were a seperate element any way

true they are all but gone...... strictly speaking your suppose to have some expereince of them before taking initial ACS but in reality its hard.

if you take your reassessment all your elements should be renewed anyway, usually a one off fee, yours should still be on your card regardless

letsbe realistic, go to college, get on an apprentaship scheme, do your 4 years at college and work alongside a professional during this time, stay with the company 5 years plus then go and work for yourself.

Be aware, I saw 4 new plumbers vans in my area this week alone, there aint enough work out there at present, and the housing market doesnt need more ÂŁ70,000 a year hopefuls.

still want to do plumbing, good luck, go to college and take their advice.

I am sorry but I do not buy into the above advice, as there are a lot of Qualified people out there frightened to allow anyone else into this proffession.
I am City & Guilds level 2 + 3 certified (both 6089), we also had to do the unvented certificate, water regs assesment cert etc.

When it came to work through the Gas portfolio (which I will add, was discussed with this person in detail before I even went to join the Level 3 course at college due to the financial impact etc), I was let down by this said tradesman when it came to working through / signing off my Gas work, so now I am in a very difficult position to be able to get to Gas Safe registry.

The reasons behind it were that the other plumbers in town were placing too much presure on him - and advising him that there is not enough work in the town for them as it is (as you have basically stated above - so you have also inadvertantly said the same thing).

I feel that the UK Gas Qualified plumbers should seriously be taken to task over there 'Boys Club' antics, as price fixing is illegal - which is what you are all doing by limiting who can become Gas Qualified.

Competition is clearly something that the UK Gas Qualified Plumbers are scared of - as is clearly shown by the lack of people willing to help another get through the course.

Also - are we not seeing a move that it is the company that is registered more and more today, which I would then question how this is going to help the original postee get qualified?
He / She will still have to find someone to sign off their work - which is like pulling teeth in todays environment.

I agree we have seen an increase in people thinking that they can earn the marvelous figures in salary, but your part of the problem that is adding to this issue by limiting the numbers of Qualified people coming through the trade.
To add to the comment you made about monetary gains however - you could earn substantially more if people were prepared to work for a living. How often do we see so called tradesmen start late in the morning, pack up at 4.30 as their day is finished?

If there were more Gas Safe qualified people coming through, then the trade would not be seen as so lucrative to others. Competition would be on an equal playing field etc etc.

I feel the qualified among you already know this - hence why they make it extremely difficult for anyone to get into the Gas side of the trade.

Jay

PS - sorry that my first post is like the above, but there are always two sides to this debate. One of which has left me where many others have ended up.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think its more a case of gas is dangerous
if you shadow a plumber no one i know has ever drowned as a result of your making a mistake but if you do something while shadowing a gas engineer then the consequences are that much greater
thet cant be watching you every second and their public liability is unlikely to cover work you are doing while with them
tell me what benefit there is for a gas engineer to let someone in their area train up and get qualified and then take their work doesnt really make much sense now does it
if you sign up for a course if you dont research said course and knowing full well you need to build a portfolio of gas evidence dont ensure you have a engineer willing to help you then tbh thats your own silly fault isnt it

welcome,
firstly, you must live in a small town by the sounds of it.

secondly, i think you are too focussed on the industry of 'gas' and not applying enough thought to generall business practices.

whatever you forte you will have to worm your way into that business sector or you will be left by the wayside and find it difficult to make a turn over even if it means playing dirty. there is a no open arms approach to any trade or business.

price fixing does not apply here because of too many variables, ie one man bands. however, the prices charged are in relation to the price standards for that area. under-cutting each other drastically is dangerous because we can all charge ÂŁ1 per hour. the loosers are the ones with the most out-lay ie, mortgage, kids etc. and those who have been in business for a while can under-cut anyone trying to get into there area if they start trying to pinch business by underpricing.

one more thing, if you cant get there in your own town because it is too small, why not move.?. you cannot expect to be accomodated just because its what you want to do. a local high street with half a dozen supermarkets on it wont work will it?. and they will soon put up protest if another wanted to muscle in.

i think its more a case of gas is dangerous
if you shadow a plumber no one i know has ever drowned as a result of your making a mistake but if you do something while shadowing a gas engineer then the consequences are that much greater
thet cant be watching you every second and their public liability is unlikely to cover work you are doing while with them
tell me what benefit there is for a gas engineer to let someone in their area train up and get qualified and then take their work doesnt really make much sense now does it
if you sign up for a course if you dont research said course and knowing full well you need to build a portfolio of gas evidence dont ensure you have a engineer willing to help you then tbh thats your own silly fault isnt it

If this is directed towards me - then you obviously have not read or understood what I have written, and I would not openly say I am silly - based on what your are writing above :confused:

I researched the course and knew exactly what I had to complete, I had the committment from said person - who then forefit the obligation towards me, and fell to pressure to people who are obviously as scared as you are to have some competition.

I also offered to stay working for the said person for a minimum of 2 years beyond any training support he was giving me ,as a way of giving him something back.
On top of this - I also agreed to pay for all out of pocket expenses that he would incur by having me in tow, and I was also paying for all my own college materials etc.

So I had done everything I could - so now what is your point here, as I am at a loss to understand your logic when you call me silly?

You obviously have a somewhat questionable concern over the training of others - and by simply stating that Gas is dangerous, and water is not - is simply unjustified - especially when you add the part about someone getting trained to remove some workload is basically not logical?

Are you going to tell me here and now that All Gas Safe (or Corgi in the old days) qualified people are Safe - if you are, then I am sorry but I will strongly dissagree. I have seen many installations that are dubious to say the least, but they got the Ticket so they must be safe - Yes?

How many of these said people were getting struck off the Corgi listing through poor workmanship and dangerous installations (how many more should have been struck off if the number of assesors was at a level to be able to catch out the relevant people)?

How many are still installing poorly installed appliances?

Fortunately I have at least walked away with the NVQ 2 & 3 qualifications, so I did not loose everything - only the actual option to go through the Gas side completely, but please don't try and condone this practice on the back of Gas being dangerous.

You are obviously one of the same like minded people who are worried about being in a trade with some quality competition - which is a shame.

To your quote relating to the water side not carrying the inherrant dangers of Gas, could I not blow someones home up if I were to install an unvented system incorrectly - or decided to overide some of the safety devices on the system - and look, no gas here is there, just super heated water due to the extra pressure in the vessel - but you knew that already, but ommitted to show this risk..

It's a shame really that so called proffessional people stoop to this level, for fear of losing out to say someone who could quite possibly be a bonus to them.
There is a lot of talent out there which is being condemed before they can even get off the starting line, through ignorance, self preservation and greed.

Also, you forgot to mention that a lot of gas installations are carried out by non Gas Safe registered people - which is then signed off at the end by a Gas Safe registered person.
So your statement to shadowing a gas qualified plumber having potential ramifications is not justified imho.

All gas work (within the legal realms we are talking about on here), gets finally tested prior to signing off - if it wasn't, then the Gas Safe person has negated the requirements of the task in hand.

We could go on for years with this type of debate - as there are fores and againsts on both sides.
I will never argue to the fact that we should ensure we have qualified people carrying out work - be it gas, general plumbing whatever the task in hand, but I do agrue the fact that the ones who were fortunate to get into the Gas side, should be in a position whereby they call the shots who is worthy to get into the Gas installation side today!

The governent need to act swiftly to this - as we are soon going to approach an era of total lack of skilled people, through the affore mentioned ignorance and greed.

We are seeing this now in my opinion, poor quality installations on both sides. The fast track courses who say they will train you to become a plumber in the quoted time.
Unskilled workers undercutting us all the time.

I did my years at college and got shafted at the end - there is no way that you can say this is justified, and try to turn this around to say it is my fault.

In the years ahead of us, we will once again be calling on trades to come to the UK - in order to meet the demands. We see it everyday - but people like you are so blinkered, that as long as it is not in your back yard - then it's all good.

If this influx begins to affect you - I would hazzard a guess here, and state that you will most probably be one of the first to stand up and say how unfair it is, that the government are letteing this happen. Oh how ironic that would be!

I personally believe this is already the reason behind why the Gas Safe people are closing the doors on others - as it is the only way in which they can keep earning - it has nothing to do with the safety side (which I agree is a concern, no argument from me here) - it simply boils down to who would be prepared to work that little bit harder to get the money at the end of the day.
Whilst the Gas safe option is limited - then you are all safer than if this monopoly was taken away from your control, and you can all keep the costs of repairs etc far higher.

I am sorry but I do not buy into the above advice, as there are a lot of Qualified people out there frightened to allow anyone else into this proffession.
I am City & Guilds level 2 + 3 certified (both 6089), we also had to do the unvented certificate, water regs assesment cert etc.

When it came to work through the Gas portfolio (which I will add, was discussed with this person in detail before I even went to join the Level 3 course at college due to the financial impact etc), I was let down by this said tradesman when it came to working through / signing off my Gas work, so now I am in a very difficult position to be able to get to Gas Safe registry.

The reasons behind it were that the other plumbers in town were placing too much presure on him - and advising him that there is not enough work in the town for them as it is (as you have basically stated above - so you have also inadvertantly said the same thing).

I feel that the UK Gas Qualified plumbers should seriously be taken to task over there 'Boys Club' antics, as price fixing is illegal - which is what you are all doing by limiting who can become Gas Qualified.

Competition is clearly something that the UK Gas Qualified Plumbers are scared of - as is clearly shown by the lack of people willing to help another get through the course.

Also - are we not seeing a move that it is the company that is registered more and more today, which I would then question how this is going to help the original postee get qualified?
He / She will still have to find someone to sign off their work - which is like pulling teeth in todays environment.

I agree we have seen an increase in people thinking that they can earn the marvelous figures in salary, but your part of the problem that is adding to this issue by limiting the numbers of Qualified people coming through the trade.
To add to the comment you made about monetary gains however - you could earn substantially more if people were prepared to work for a living. How often do we see so called tradesmen start late in the morning, pack up at 4.30 as their day is finished?

If there were more Gas Safe qualified people coming through, then the trade would not be seen as so lucrative to others. Competition would be on an equal playing field etc etc.

I feel the qualified among you already know this - hence why they make it extremely difficult for anyone to get into the Gas side of the trade.

Jay

PS - sorry that my first post is like the above, but there are always two sides to this debate. One of which has left me where many others have ended up.

Jay K - how did you achieve your 6089 without passing your ACS? Its part of the course?

Registered gas installers and/or gas safe plumbers do NOT set the standards for gas fitting in the UK the HSE do so dont have a go at gas fitters, you take your issues up with the HSE or read the regs

Your issues about 'price fixing' are absurb and born about you and others being paranoid. Nobody i have ever met in the trade have tried to stop others getting in the trade, it can be difficult at times but its not our fault and its difficult with good reason. There shouldnt be short cuts. we are not under training in the industry, far from it, there have been enough young people come into the trade over the past 10 years so we are not worried all the so called old timers leving the trade with no new blood because that is incorrect.

welcome,
firstly, you must live in a small town by the sounds of it.

Not really small - but I understand where you are coming from here.

secondly, i think you are too focussed on the industry of 'gas' and not applying enough thought to generall business practices.

whatever you forte you will have to worm your way into that business sector or you will be left by the wayside and find it difficult to make a turn over even if it means playing dirty. there is a no open arms approach to any trade or business.

There are two ways to look at what you are saying - to which I do not want to get into a debate, as I fear you may well be a gas engineer - so we would not agree here.

price fixing does not apply here because of too many variables, ie one man bands. however, the prices charged are in relation to the price standards for that area. under-cutting each other drastically is dangerous because we can all charge ÂŁ1 per hour. the loosers are the ones with the most out-lay ie, mortgage, kids etc. and those who have been in business for a while can under-cut anyone trying to get into there area if they start trying to pinch business by underpricing.

I dissagree here slightly - the pressure of others dictating who can come into a growing location is monopolizing a market for your own personal gains. It has nothing to do with Safety - it is to do with Money in your pocket.
Price fixing does occur in areas - not by each working to the same price persay, but to limit the competition is enough to demand higher prices for your work.

one more thing, if you cant get there in your own town because it is too small, why not move.?. you cannot expect to be accomodated just because its what you want to do. a local high street with half a dozen supermarkets on it wont work will it?. and they will soon put up protest if another wanted to muscle in.

I am not asking - nor have I ever asked anyone to accomodate me, and I have always stood on my own two feet and paid my dues. I have never been on the dole - and I would rather work in an agency than have to claim social.

And as for moving - just to abide by some shallow Gas Qualified person who is scared to accept there is going to be an additional competitor in the area - why?

Also - the important fact to this part, it is not just around my neck of the woods that this type of behaviour is happening, it is country wide.

Unfortunateley, these views are all to often seen today - and I only hope that the younger generation get a better shot at things before it is too late.

As I have said earlier - it is a shame this behaviour is happening, which needs to be addressed before we see serious issues moving forward.

tbh mate with your stroppy attitude i cant see you getting anyone to take you on
no one owes you anything and the simple fact is you were sold the course and relied on getting one engineer to agree to take you on now i really dont see the rest of the gas engineers ganging up to block you that is totally paranoid
do like everyone else has had to do and get on with it lifes tough

I have never witnessed or heard these views before. I work with many many gas engineers and companies and all of them are more than willing to help the right people into the trade. They do expect high standards and may ask alot but thats only to be xpected. If your experience is different i am sorry to hear it but dont tie all fitters with the same brush. You seem angry at your experience but its not due to the goverment or RGI's.
My advice would be not to get bitter and have a go at RGI's but to put your efforts into trying to get th expeirence you need somehow, others have managed it.
You are very misled over a monopoly, many, many, many people have come into the trade recently, in fact more new people often from school leaving age but a range of ages are now newly trained

Jay K - how did you achieve your 6089 without passing your ACS? Its part of the course?

The ACS was not a prerequsite to pass the course - there was an option that was available that the company could sign to state that the individual will not be working on Gas in the field, this negated the partaking of the actual gas part in the Test centre. You still had to carry out the same exams in college as everyone else - both theory and practice in the College booths.

The Level 3 was not simply Gas when we took it, it had two years for us, first year was Complx hot and cold water systems etc, with the final studying the gas in the college only.

Registered gas installers and/or gas safe plumbers do NOT set the standards for gas fitting in the UK the HSE do so dont have a go at gas fitters, you take your issues up with the HSE or read the regs

It is not the standards / regs I have the issues with, hence why I have the Water regs ticket etc - it is the ones who state they do not get in the way of people coming into the gas side of this industry, when clearly the contrary is evident.
Show me where I have written I have issues with the Regs - you will not be able too. I fully appreciate the need for this - but I do not advocate the added pressure of insecure people who are worried about competition.

Your issues about 'price fixing' are absurb and born about you and others being paranoid.

I doubt this very much - I got shafted yes, paranoid no. I know all too well what the costs are to carry out the work , how much the kit costs, servicing costs for the equipment etc - so where is the paranoia?

Nobody i have ever met in the trade have tried to stop others getting in the trade, it can be difficult at times but its not our fault and its difficult with good reason. There shouldnt be short cuts. we are not under training in the industry, far from it, there have been enough young people come into the trade over the past 10 years so we are not worried all the so called old timers leving the trade with no new blood because that is incorrect.

Shame really that people pick up on small parts of the written English. Where have I asked for a shortcut?
Obviously you live in an area that welcomes people open armed, to be able to increase there level of qualifications - pity it is not all over the UK.

The gas is part of the 6089 level 3. It is only if the candidate CANNOT get evidence that the appendix A form can be singed to waiver the need an not a simple case of if they choose not to give you the expereince. If that was the case i would take it up with C&G's.
You dont have an issue with the regs, thats good because its nothing we can control.
You have had experience with 1 employer it seems, why tie all with same brush?
What part of the Country are you talking about?
If you think we are all insecure fitters then so be it. We cannot change your opinion although i disagree totally. Shame you see the trade so negatively. You speak so lowly of all RGI's, i wouldnt take somebody on with such a low opinion of the trade, its often a case of low self esteem, trying to blame others

tbh mate with your stroppy attitude i cant see you getting anyone to take you on
no one owes you anything and the simple fact is you were sold the course and relied on getting one engineer to agree to take you on now i really dont see the rest of the gas engineers ganging up to block you that is totally paranoid
do like everyone else has had to do and get on with it lifes tough

Erm I am sorry if you think this is coming across stroppy, but the written language is all too aften taken this way, which I apologise for - but I do think you need to re-read the first post I made.

Fortunatley for me, I am not looking to get into the Gas side anymore, I have had to get on with it after my sequence of events.

The local plumbers actually placed pressure onto the company who was going to help me, not to follow through to fruition what was agreed with me - so you are not able to deny this, you were not there. With this - I am openly stating they were preventing me from getting through the gas side.

Also - how many people should I have had in the background to allow me to get my work signed off - I am intrigued to hear this - Is one not enough?

We do not need any qualifications to work as a plumber - as you will already most probably be aware - if I have been working int he industry for a period of 5 years, I am deemed to be a competant plumber who, I may add - can sign off Portfolio work for college.

I added comments to what I read about the original postees feedback, based on what I had to endure - as all to often we see the same advise given?

I am sorry if this is not how you see it - but obviously you have been treated fairly, which I can only state is a credit to who followed through with their commitment to you.

I think we need to agree to dissagree here - as I have differing views to you which are fine.

working a a plumber for 5 years means you can sign off plumbing work in a candidates port folio. You may be aware that this was brought it to improve the system on the previous NVQ which was any cleint or colleague could sign. They thought that this was open to curruption and tightned it up. Not becuase they see the plumber as an assessor of the work carried out, it is just a witness testomony saying the work has been carried out. It does not garauntee standard of work but that the work was carried out. The assessor does that job.

Did you say you agreed to all the local plumbers not letting you get the required evidnece? why would other get involved or even know you needed it, they would be looking after their own work wouldnt they? im surprised plumbers have all got together to pressure a single employer to make him not give you the evidence? sounds very odd, and you say you agreed? Did you contcat the awarding body? have you contacted summitskills?

The gas is part of the 6089 level 3. It is only if the candidate CANNOT get evidence that the appendix A form can be singed to waiver the need an not a simple case of if they choose not to give you the expereince. If that was the case i would take it up with C&G's.
They invoked this due to the inherrant obstacle I ended up with - why would I therefore take it up with City and Guilds - I do not understand what you mean here, as I feel they did nothing wrong - it was the person who was going to sign off my work?

You dont have an issue with the regs, thats good because its nothing we can control.

As said - no issues with regs, we all need them for obvious reasons.

You have had experience with 1 employer it seems, why tie all with same brush?

Not only one - there were quite a few involved in the pressurising side of this issue.

What part of the Country are you talking about?
East Midlands

If you think we are all insecure fitters then so be it. We cannot change your opinion although i disagree totally. Shame you see the trade so negatively. You speak so lowly of all RGI's, i wouldnt take somebody on with such a low opinion of the trade, its often a case of low self esteem, trying to blame others

Err, low self esteem? Now I am intrigued - I see two sides to this debate, and because I have had a bad experience - I suffer low self esteem.
I think if you turned this around - you may be nearer the point. I feel there is an inherrant underlying core of people who are and are willingly trying monopolise the trade.
Conversely - we could also spin this part around and say RGI's have low self esteem?

Maybee I was wrong to include everyone, to which I may stand corrected if I ever see a different side - but what I deal with around here is the way - as well as what a lot of my old college friends are facing.

But thank-you for my diagnosis.

Did you say you agreed to all the local plumbers not letting you get the required evidnece? why would other get involved or even know you needed it, they would be looking after their own work wouldnt they? im surprised plumbers have all got together to pressure a single employer to make him not give you the evidence? sounds very odd, and you say you agreed? Did you contcat the awarding body? have you contacted summitskills?

I am not sure I understand what you are referring to here, I did not say I agreed with the manner in which I ended up.
When it came to signing the work evidence portfolio - I was left high and dry, which therefore left me on a course with no way of getting work signed off - thus not able to complete the portfolio for the gas side.

He has openly admitted it, after I had a long conversation with him late one evening. Obviously I asked why - hence I know the reason for it.

I had to re think my options back then - so I moved into another area away from where I first wanted to go.
Also - I did not come into the trade as someone following the money train, as I know it is not as lucrative as what some would make you think.

I do not follow the question with the governing body / summit skills, they could not help against my situation, also it is a long time ago now and I have changed my direction away from becoming Gas compliant as it was a quest that would most probably never happen ( which from reading the comments on here is most probably all my fault).

Point 1 - you would take it up with the guilds because as i have said, the standards are you HAVE TO build gas evidence if you can. If your empoyer signed an appendix A form to say you couldnt when you could it defo is a guilds issue. Phone summitskills or C&G and tell them. If they couldnt give you the evidence then what they have done is correct and you have no argument.

Point 2 -Not just refering to regs but were the regs come from, the HSE, they say what is required. I am pointing out that RGI's may appear difficult but often they are only carring out te duties under the regs. Thats not their fault. You ma appreciate this already, not saying you are or are not but if you didnt realise i have informed you of these facts

Point 3 - Pressurising an employer, as I stated this is really odd, Ive never come across this in years. Most employers dont deal with other employers apprentices?? I cannot see why they would use their importent time in dealing with somebody elses trainee?

Point 4 - East Midlands, I have worked there in the past and didnt witness this behaviour, I may have been lucky?

Point 5 - I didnt say YOU had low self esteem but people i have experience of who have come across in this way and that has been in the past becuase they have low self esteem, it comes across as self pity, may not be how you feel or want to appear but this is how I would see it if adressed to me directly. You have jumped into a defensive reply, why would that be? You however have said all RGI's are insecure, therefore making an assumption and stating it as fact. IMO you are wrong but if you continue with this approach towards people on this forum who may be able to help you I doubt you will get much support or help, I dont think you will see it this way.
If RGI's wanted to monopolise the trade why would the trade have trained more in he last 5 years than had been trained in the previous 20? Your opinions dont add up with the figures
The courses are changing and this is in part due to complaints from candidates who have gone through similar courses to you, employers and clients. the changes are going to tighten up who can train nor make it easier.
The expeirence required for gas only changed about 3 years ago, before then experience didnt need to be proved, it wasnt RGI's that changed it.

New point - it is often the thoughts of new entrants that the existing tradesmen set the standards or implement them in their own way to manipulate them, i see it all the time, there are other factors affecting changes in standards, requirments, courses, qualificaitons etc, HSE, Goverment initiatives, awarding bodies, sector skills councils and governing bodies with a contract for ensuring the standards, such as CAPITA, BPEC and corgi.
Shame you have such a low opinion of your colleagues in the trade. As you say it will remain unless you see a different side. I cannot therefore help you see a different side by some simple responses to your issues. You dont seem to want to listen to anything other than someone giving you the signed evidence you require. This appears to anyone reading it as just a selfish and self centered. I have had several people PM me on here and have helped them with their issues. They have come on asking for help and not slagging off RGI's

Point 5 - I didnt say YOU had low self esteem but people i have experience of who have come across in this way. You have jumped into a defensive reply, why would that be? You however have said all RGI's are insecure, therefore making an assumption and stating it as fact. You ae wrong but if you continue with this attitude towards people on a forum who may be able to help you I doubt you will see it that way.

If RGI's wanted to monopolise the trade why wuld the trade have trained more in he last 5 years than had been trained in the previous 20
the courses are changing, the expeirence required for gas only changed about 3 years ago, before then experience didnt need to be proved, it wasnt RGI's that changed it.

Can i just clarify something here - Where have I asked for anyone to sign anything for me. I have long since required this, as i knew around these parts it would never happen - I added comments to the contrary of something that I read and I now realise I should not have done so, as it always gets turned around to the individual.

The defence is purely as there are comments on here that are implying I could basically not have had this happen - when I have been on the receiving end of it. If the wording has come across different to how I have intended it - I can only apologise for how it has been interpreted, but I have faced a side of this trade that is evident and always will be unless we all open up to it.

You are quick to put things into my wording or add comments to state is probably my own fault it happened - but on the contrary, you are not open to the fact that this may actually be happening.
We do not live an eutopian life - and as someone has already stated on this thread, sometimes if you need to use dirty tactics - then it is an option basically.

I do not use dirty tactics - nor would I, so before you condem me for having an opinion based on things that have transpired - look deeper into what I have actually written, then maybee it could actually show that this does go on, and is not just some peoples figment of their imagination.

Shame you have such a low opinion of your colleagues in the trade.

Be honest here if you can, would you be so different if you had met the same challenges - are you going to state you have never felt this way about anything.

You dont seem to want to listen to anything other than someone giving you the signed evidence you require. This appears to anyone reading it as just a selfish and self centered. i have had several people PM me on here and have helped them with their issues.

Can I ask you where I have asked to get assistance with this - I have not done so - nor would I come on here to do so. I feel you are holding onto this part that you feel I am after something - please, I am not asking for anything. Also - what am I supposed to be listening too - someone basically stating this does not happen because they have been fortunate.

You may well be a completely different caliber of person to whom would never have done this, to which I do not know.
But please do not try and pass this over in the premise that i am asking for someone to sign off a portfolio - as this is simply not true.

I accepted a long time ago, that the conditions of my qualifications would not fulfill where I wanted them to go. I have added a converse side to some comments posted - to which I feel is being twisted into me trying to get something out of it - why, I do not know.

I feel as said earlier - we will have to agree to dissagree. I have had past experience that you have not, so I can never expect you to understand what went on.

I am also sorry if you feel I was angling for something - this was never mentioned, neither would it have been.
The only part that I feel could have been reworded was the All part - but from my experiences, I hit a wall within the area I live.

Obviously this was also my fault too. There is a lot of hostility towards people coming into this trade, which is evident by some wording in one of the previous threads - but you choose only to see the trade side (which I have studied for and am part of) - but I also have had to endure the not so professional side along the way, so added the other side to the thread (which I wish I hadn't done now).

I will always be open - which is sometimes not the best route, but I will always show the full picture and not try to hide a part we do not like to open up to.

I feel I should bow out before this gets any worse. You have your opinion - and I have mine based on what I had to endure. I apologise if this does not meet your own views - and I will say that I have not added comments to try and gleen assistance for my own gain.
I foolishly made comments to state an opposite side following some comments made by another about wannabe ÂŁ70k year plumbers, as I personally did not come into the trade for the money - but hit a wall.
I also added the wrong wording I feel - as it invoked the wrong side I was trying to show.

Ok I have totally lost the thread of this. I thought you were complaining over your situation and the fact that the employer would not sign or give you gas evidence you were entitled to? I dont see why it cannot be taken up with the awarding body. I dont quite understand what has gone on but this latest reply has not clarified anything for me. Maybe somebody else could respond and help clear things up for me.

Guys... I'm bored.... This thread began by someone asking for guidance. No-one here is being helpful

well tbh if sonmeone hasnt got the gumption to research for themselves the various methods of training in gas and how to get registered i doubt their ability to master the acs as the acs testing must rank as the most stressfull thing ive ever done
there seems to be a never ending amount of
how can i become threads
incase anyone is still unsure
THERE IS NO SHORTAGE OF PLUMBERS OR GAS ENGINEERS
unless you have someone who is prepared to guide and nurture you in either trade you will struggle and for gods sake look on jobs plus and show me the job paying 70000 a year
stop paying out 5000 plus and expecting to be a competent anything you will be a novice and will never pay a mortgage
this may sound harsh but it is the real truth not what atraining center will tell you
and as for becoming gas safe registered secure the services of an engineer first or forgt it

well tbh if sonmeone hasnt got the gumption to research for themselves the various methods of training in gas and how to get registered i doubt their ability to master the acs as the acs testing must rank as the most stressfull thing ive ever done
how can i become threads
unless you have someone who is prepared to guide and nurture you in either trade you will struggle and for gods sake look on jobs plus and show me the job paying 70000 a year
stop paying out 5000 plus and expecting to be a competent anything you will be a novice and will never pay a mortgage
this may sound harsh but it is the real truth not what atraining center will tell you

and as for becoming gas safe registered secure the services of an engineer first or forgt it

ditto the above.
Read anyone of the countless 'how do i become' threads for any further info

how can i become threads
Agreed with all the above and with out shouting off my own brilliance I started out plumbing seriously 6 years back, did the college bit got the nvqs by being self employed and did the gas quals by bullying peple i know to help me. binn there seen it done it and NO Sympathy to people saying its hard how do I become a plumber/gas fitter ? Get off your backsides and help yourself, if a 50 year old git can do it why cant you lot out there, there is only one thing stopping you and thats your lack of commitment!!!!!!!!!

Right.... I'm not going to shout off, or go on about how hard done by I've been.

Truth is that I've only been ACS qualified for the past 8 months, and I went the quick way through a fast track course.

I had work placement with 2 local gas engineers and through EON... I did at least 35hrs for 18 weeks.

I did my exams (which are not easy, but are logical if you work safe) and passed them all.

I asked Eon at the beginning if there would be job at the end for me and they said that they couldn't tell me.... but then the recession hit and they stopped setting on. I had no choice, I had to go self employed.... which was the best thing I could have done.

I waited for my ACS certificates to be delivered, then I contacted gas safe with my registration details, and paid my fees. Within a month I was on the register and able to work. in the first 3 months I had 2 inspections from gas safe, which I passed.

For all of the people out there who say there is no work, then I would challenge that... I have worked hard to get my name about, in both the press and through local mail drops. My van has been branded well and my stationary looks very professional.

I now get 50% of my work through repeat business and recommendations. There is work out there, you just have to be prepared to work hard to get it. I don't undercut, I just take jobs that many people won't touch, and often get other jobs from it.

I don't make a fortune, and would not recommend anyone just looking to make a quick buck - but I make enough to live on, pay my mortgage and go on holidays with.

I do this work because I enjoy it, not for the money. Yes it is competitive but, if you work hard marketing yourself there is plenty of work out there.

Hi Okean,

You have a good atitude. you challenge people saying theres no work. Not sure thats what people mean, theres always work for some but it doesnt jump at you as youve found out, youve worked for it. I have been asked before now 'if i get my TC2 6129 will it garauntee me a job?' Thats the view we are challenging.
Plus, anyone can get work if they are cheap enough, so people can forget the 70k a year. So all in all id say you are agreeing with us

Yep I agree with you.

but, if people out there want to do this job as a career I wouldn't put people off - just inform them that it is hard and never plane sailing. Do the job because you love it, not because you want to retire in 10 years... because that won't happen.

When I've got more experiance i would welcome a placement student... afterall someone gave me an oportunity, its the least I could do for someone else.

All good fun :eek:

jkay you sound let down ,i have been a plumber/gas fitter for 40 years.there is no cartel set against new plumbers/gas fitters,as a trade we have never stood together and the goverment have never moved towards proper legistration of operatives in this industry,proved to me recently by fast track plumber with bpec unvented cert who broke just about every rule you could,bpec C@G not worth paper they are printed on now,gas is much more dangerous than water in most instances.so at least that is regulated,you will have to jump through hoops to get where you want to go .but so did we, stop moaning and get on with it

I could not agree with you more. Existing gas safe fitters are controlling the industry.
This amounts to a cartel. The present system of training with a qualified gas fitter harks back to the days when British Gas had a monopoly on the gas business. It is out moded and needs urgent reform. Will the Gas Safe authority act?

I could not agree with you more. Existing gas safe fitters are controlling the industry.
This amounts to a cartel. The present system of training with a qualified gas fitter harks back to the days when British Gas had a monopoly on the gas business. It is out moded and needs urgent reform. Will the Gas Safe authority act?

grow up mate its necesary for new starters to spend as much time as humanly possible with an experienced fitter to avoid killing someone its not done to hold people back its done to prevent pwople dying

cant agree more. i had the same problem with my 30:06 remmington semi-automatic rifle. had to join the army to learn how to load and pull the trigger. now the police are saying they are the only ones authorised to use them and i cant get a liscenxce?. i mean, whats that all about?. a rifle has never killed anyone on its own. gas does though.

One gas safe engineer told me that he could not help me because his insurance would not cover me and i can't get my own insurance because I am not GSR.

grow up mate its necesary for new starters to spend as much time as humanly possible with an experienced fitter to avoid killing someone its not done to hold people back its done to prevent pwople dying
I would love to train with a good engineer.But I can't find one. Unless I pay ÂŁ1000 (one thousand quid) to a GSR company to produce a portfolio.
BTW. If GSR engineers are so well trained how comes at least one is struck off every week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How do I become Gas Safe trained and registered in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock