Search the forum,

Discuss How do I become Gas Safe trained and registered in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
One gas safe engineer told me that he could not help me because his insurance would not cover me and i can't get my own insurance because I am not GSR.

I would love to train with a good engineer.But I can't find one. Unless I pay £1000 (one thousand quid) to a GSR company to produce a portfolio.
BTW. If GSR engineers are so well trained how comes at least one is struck off every week?

gas fitters do not make the rules, if you have issue with how the training and evidence is to be produced take it p with the sector skills council, the HSE and the awarding bodies. You cannot try to emotionallly blackmial other gas fitters into giving you what you want. they owe you nothing.

It is all self centered and full of self pity

gas fitters do not make the rules, if you have issue with how the training and evidence is to be produced take it p with the sector skills council, the HSE and the awarding bodies. You cannot try to emotionallly blackmial other gas fitters into giving you what you want. they owe you nothing.

It is all self centered and full of self pity
No.it's not self pity. This what I have been told by people running ACS gas training courses. I am not trying to blackmail anyone.
Gas fitters dont make the rules but they certainly have big say who can and who can't be a gas fitter. I cannot think of another profession with this arrangement.

No.it's not self pity. This what I have been told by people running ACS gas training courses. I am not trying to blackmail anyone.
Gas fitters dont make the rules but they certainly have big say who can and who can't be a gas fitter. I cannot think of another profession with this arrangement.

stop feeling hard done by mate gas fitters are out there to make a living not hold your hand gas is dangerous its regulated by law so there are obstacles to be overcome in becoming an engineer.if you want something do your research beforehand not after and then start moaning
its real simple you need a portfolio to prove you have worked safely on a variety of appliances and you need a competent engineer to oversee that work
if you didnt look into that to start with then that is your fault not the engineer
stop looking for big conspiracies gas fitters are not freemasons and havnt all ganged up on new trainees
you knew what was required when you started and if you didnt then thats your fault
there is nothing stopping you pursuing a career in plumbing

No Cartel.It's simple if you sign forms for a candidate for ACS and they pass,which they will if they have the knowledge,and where to refer to.(Do I need the hassle of,you signed the forms for this person and he/she has done X?)Whichever centre they take ACS at records your details and registration.Would you want to sign your name on the dotted?Ramifications?Do your time,RS boilers are easy,servicing,flues,cookers and fires aren't.Good luck

Gas fitters dont have a say, they just sign new entrants work off if they have done it. They cannot be forced into signing it if you have not done it

If GSR engineers are so well trained how comes at least one is struck off every week?

Jonathan Shaw: The information requested is set out as follows.

Table 1: Number of registered gas installers and installers deregistered
Registered installers-- Removed from register
1999 44,736------- 62
2000 44,221------- 10
2001 44,476------- 19
2002 43,117------- 27
2003 44,141------- 10
2004 42,930------- 29
2005 47,357------- 15
2006 49,744------- 15
2007 51,249------- 17
2008 54,926------- 6

Just to put the facts straight,as you can see 1 a week if pure propaganda
spread about by unregistered terrorists ;)
As you can see the new rules are working
However would agree some changes are required,as I have said in the past
Would add the large number at the begining was mostly electricians trying to sneak in the back door so they could do gas and electrical tests,one of the reasons reg tightened

Last edited by a moderator:
Jonathan Shaw: The information requested is set out as follows.

Table 1: Number of registered gas installers and installers deregistered
Registered installers-- Removed from register
1999 44,736------- 62
2000 44,221------- 10
2001 44,476------- 19
2002 43,117------- 27
2003 44,141------- 10
2004 42,930------- 29
2005 47,357------- 15
2006 49,744------- 15
2007 51,249------- 17
2008 54,926------- 6

Just to put the facts straight,as you can see 1 a week if pure propaganda
spread about by unregistered terrorists ;)
As you can see the new rules are working
However would agree some changes are required,as I have said in the past
Would add the large number at the begining was mostly electricians trying to sneak in the back door so they could do gas and electrical tests,one of the reasons reg tightened

great info puddle. This also proves that we have not restricted the amount of people training to become gas fitters as the total has gone up.

You say about changes, maybe one or two but i think the system is pretty good as it is and doesnt need any wholesale changes

ask yourself this.....

you have your acs and your gas safe reg....

a bloke phones you up, hes been on a 12 week course you dont know him from adam you have your on reputable business based on regular customers, (you.ve also done a full apprenticeship and served so many years with an employer) he wants to start a portfolio and wants you to guide him, he is from the same area, and wants to go self employed, will probably charge cheap rates to gain business, so is also going to be a competitor. I know what i would say, first of all, the customers arent going to be happy your letting a bloke do there work (stigma about trainees doing gas, would be different if they'd seen this lad with you over the last 2 years doing his apprenticeship with you) secondly you dont know this lad from adam, you have to trust him in customers houses, thirdly insurance purposes, and lastly they say they'll work for free, but there is a load of problems with this regarding tax and employment rules.... just not worth the hassle - serve your time like i have done even when i have just turned thirty :(

ask yourself this.....

you have your acs and your gas safe reg....

a bloke phones you up, hes been on a 12 week course you dont know him from adam you have your on reputable business based on regular customers, (you.ve also done a full apprenticeship and served so many years with an employer) he wants to start a portfolio and wants you to guide him, he is from the same area, and wants to go self employed, will probably charge cheap rates to gain business, so is also going to be a competitor. I know what i would say, first of all, the customers arent going to be happy your letting a bloke do there work (stigma about trainees doing gas, would be different if they'd seen this lad with you over the last 2 years doing his apprenticeship with you) secondly you dont know this lad from adam, you have to trust him in customers houses, thirdly insurance purposes, and lastly they say they'll work for free, but there is a load of problems with this regarding tax and employment rules.... just not worth the hassle - serve your time like i have done even when i have just turned thirty :(

Well put

The negative comments about RGI's put by JayK are totally unfounded. If we acted in the way he claims why would this forum ever exist? Why would we give advice to the less experienced? If we were running a cartel. I have lost count how many times I’ve seen posts from RGI’s welcoming and giving encouragement to people starting out in this industry, It’s a shame there are not the proper apprenticeships available like there was when I started out some 40 years ago but that is a sad fact of life, I wish I could pass on my experience in the same way I received it from the fitters I spent my early years with, before I was allowed to carry out work unsupervised.
Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How do I become Gas Safe trained and registered in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock