Search the forum,

Discuss Hot and Cold Water Reversed Throughout House - But Fine After Shower (TRY #2) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wallymik

Hi,

Ever since we moved into and refurbished our new house, the plumbing has been strange to say the least.

The faucets in the kitchen and in every bathroom do this weird thing where the water comes out a little warm when we set the tap to maximum cold, and a little cool when we set the tap to maximum hot. The even weirder part is, after one of us has taken a shower, the problem goes away (hot is steaming hot, cold is frigid). But if it's been a few hours since the last shower this remains a problem. All our faucets are the single-control type where you turn one way for hot and the other for cool, but are different makes (Grohe, Hansgrohe for the bathrooms and Gessi for the kitchen).

Our builder is simply mystified and says we have to live with it. I can't accept that - there must be a solution.

Has anyone seen this before? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
WM

(NB I did post this earlier but was told to re-post as a member)

Sounds like a problem with the shower mixer.

Try running a cold tap near the shower and see if the mixer tap get warm.

If so, the mixer cartridge has a problem.

Ask the builder to get the plumber back.

Your shower mixer needs non return valves fitting.
Forget your builder, get a plumber.

Our builder is simply mystified and says we have to live with it.

if you are in the UK, your builder HAS to fix it. - Consumer Rights Act 2015

There are numerous reasons for the issue. Long dead legs on the hot supply, cold supply running parallel with C/H pipes, non return valves, demand from of parts of system, etc Its time consuming to identify cause and costly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot and Cold Water Reversed Throughout House - But Fine After Shower (TRY #2) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Hello, We hade a problem with our hot water not working in one of our bathroom's (all other outlets were working) Therefore we got the Thermostatic Shower Valve changed and everything was working again. However a few days later, both hot and cold no longer works for the bath and the hot...
Replies
Views
Hi I've seen a previous thread that is closed now regarding this subject but the end result I could not see. Our Shower runs hot for 30 seconds then cold. I have changed the thermostat and it still runs cold after 30 seconds. If we run the hot tap it is better but at best, luke warm. We have a...
Replies
Views
The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the whole house is working as normal. Hot water is working as normal on the ground floor. However, there is no hot water to the first floor bathroom. This...
Replies
Views
Hi all Hope you can help We have a Gloworm Ultracom 38CXI combi boiler. During the Summer the taps and mixer shower run hot water consistently hot for as long as need be, but now during the Winter when the radiators are on the taps and mixer shower will run hot for only a few minutes and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock