Discuss Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please!

Get a short piece of copper pipe with a stop end on to slide over your hot blowlamp nozzle when used in case it gets knocked over.

handy if you got the rothenberger blowlamp with the tip that goes red when soldering!!!!!! much prefer the bernzomatic!!

do everybody else's do this or just mine?? the bernzomatic tip stays coldish all times, but the rothenberger jest goes red hot straight away when i solder a joint!

Mine only gets red (glowing) hot if I turn the flame right down.

It always gets hot though! It's a blow torch.

I use Mapp gas BTW.

mine goes red whatever i try to do!!! i always use mapp gas with it, the bernzomatic tip doesent get red or hot tho!

allways carry an extra roll of solder in the van, don't know how many times that one has bitten me

mine goes red whatever i try to do!!! i always use mapp gas with it, the bernzomatic tip doesent get red or hot tho!

Mine doesn't mate. If I'm sweating a joint and want to be careful with it, I'll wind the gas right down. Only then will the end start to glow red.

when you fit a bath dont use the L shaped brackets there useless and you will get alot of movement from the bath, instead level the bath put a pencil line around the top of the bath ease the bath out of place and apply PINK GRIP adhesive about 10mm below your line, use plenty of it then throw your bath in place, give it a good wiggle to ensure it grips, if any goes on the bath dont rub it off, let it cure an it will just break off in go, (same goes for expanding foam if it gets on your hands dont rub it, let it cure an peal off in one go)

Good skills or if youve a bit more time on your hands batten out the back and side walls so the lip sits on it.

when you fit a bath dont use the L shaped brackets there useless and you will get alot of movement from the bath, instead level the bath put a pencil line around the top of the bath ease the bath out of place and apply PINK GRIP adhesive about 10mm below your line, use plenty of it then throw your bath in place, give it a good wiggle to ensure it grips, if any goes on the bath dont rub it off, let it cure an it will just break off in go, (same goes for expanding foam if it gets on your hands dont rub it, let it cure an peal off in one go)

I pity the poor fitter, who, in years to come, goes to remove one of your baths!

As for the "L" brackets, the problem with them is potentially splitting the wooden batten if you screw through without first pre-drilling. Also so many fitters (for ease of installation) put the bracket facing upwards (and then tiled over). Makes it a right pain if bath is to be removed without disturbing the tiles above!!

Why not put one bracket at each end (of the long side near each end) then one each on the near side, four brackets = bath reletively secure without the need for any adhesive, dont forget to use the lock bolts on the legs (they help stabilise as well and (before you tile) a sufficient but small amount of clear silicone between the bath edge and wall.

This silicone will be thin enough to secure but not enough so as to make it impossible to remove the bath without destroying the wall behind.

The finishing silicone then becomes a waterproofing and decorative layer and although it will also provide some mechanical grip that is not is what is intended, thus this top layer does not become stressed and fail causing a leak path.

www.iiplumbing-services-derby.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

L
Looking for tips on being faster at work. I am working on new builds and pressure is being put on me to speed up production. I am working at a...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Have you ever / would you ever; Work for a Plumbing Supplier / Electrical Wholesaler - POLLTIME! PLEASE SHARE THIS WITH FRIENDS VIA FACEBOOK...
Replies
Views
How has 2022 been so far? How's the economy affecting you? Any tips? This email has been sent to all members of the forum. I thought we could...
Replies
Views
Hello all, first time poster so if there is any additional information I can provide that may help, please let me know. Our kitchen mixer tap has...
Replies
Views
H
  • Article
Lecturers in Plumbing within Construction 36 hours, 52 weeks per year , part time hours will also be considered £32,732- £39,096 per annum...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock