Search the forum,

Discuss Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please!

If you use Hep and Speedfit push fittings and pipe and run short of one or the other you can use Hep pipe with Speedfit fittings and vice versa. However, make sure you use the correct liner/insert for the fitting being used. EG if using Speedfit fitting with Hep pipe ensure you use a Speedfit liner/insert and vice versa!

If you use Hep and Speedfit push fittings and pipe and run short of one or the other you can use Hep pipe with Speedfit fittings and vice versa. However, make sure you use the correct liner/insert for the fitting being used. EG if using Speedfit fitting with Hep pipe ensure you use a Speedfit liner/insert and vice versa!
No you can't. There is a small difference between the diameter of barrier pipe and fittings between different manufacturers. You should use a compression fitting with TS inserts for Speedfit and metal liners for Hep and use PTFE tape and only copper olives never brass ones. Use a quality compression with a deeper slip like Conex.

Came up with this one the other, call out to a bath mixer which would not turn off, 1/4 cerdisc insert had broke, could not isolate the tap as the floor had been laid to the panel, customer said it was ok, to leave as they would just keep turning the main stop tap off, after a coupler of minute thinking, I remembered I had a ballvalve washer kit in the van. Used one of the flat washers and screwed the tap insert back into the tap, stop the water completey.

I remember when I bought that ball valve washer box, and said to myself when the hell will i use those LOL.

Probably too simple for you guys but i find the humble heavy duty rubbish bag is excellent for catching any water in awkward places where getting containers/buckets are too difficult. I use them mainly between joists, where pipes are too close to walls and even when emptying rads. Obviously check them for holes first.

The diameter of all pex pipe is the same as 15mm copper the internal diameter is different therefore you can use any fitting with any pipe but you can only use the inserts from the same manufacturer as the pipe you are using.

If soldering a fitting close to felt (say in a roof space) and you aint got a solder mat, wedge a normal joiners saw between the fitting and the felt. This will deflect the heat while soldering and stop the felt catching fire.

If you come across the old type black alkathene pipe and you aren't sure what size it is (5/8" for example), cut a piece off take it to your plumbing supplier and he will recommend which size of coupling to use to reconnect to your new MDPE (blue pipe) if thats what you are using.

Yes you can but I should have stated to be used only in an emergency. You are right System3 there is a small difference in diameter and you have to force the inserts into the fitting. I have done it on 2 occasions on call outs in the wee hours sometime ago. If have since returned to these customers recently fittings showers/changing taps/general maint work etc and the fittings and inserts are good to this day! Thanks for pointing that out.

I've only used Hep on a couple of occasions, but do you not use plastic inserts for comp fittings and metal liners for push fit fittings?

When powerflushing a htg system and there's no outside tap to connect your mains fill too, connect your powerflush unit mains fill to the cold mains from the washing machine.

I've only used Hep on a couple of occasions, but do you not use plastic inserts for comp fittings and metal liners for push fit fittings?

Yes you use TS plastic inserts for compression fittings when using Speedfit. With Hep use the metal liners. Not used Hep very much, I prefer JG Speedfit as I find it far more user friendly and cheaper to buy.

In a perfect world I'd use soldered fittings and copper all the time, but it's way to expensive right now.

When using bungs on an open vented system to change a rad make sure you work on/open one tail at a time. Once that end is sealed/compressed only then open the other rad tail to work on.

Don't throw out your old bath towels. Keep them in the back of your van, they come in handy when doing minor repairs/maint work like changing taps, removing rads to avoid water thats lying in the pipework spilling onto carpets etc..

I always hang on to any used slip-on C/H pump valve nuts. When i go to change a pump and the nuts are siezed solid, i use a hacksaw blade in a holder to make a cut across the nut. Then prize the nut apart and off comes the pump. Slide on the new nuts, fit the pump, job done.

Not sure if this has come up already.

If you cut out an old stop tap with flared compression connections keep the nut and cone. When you're called out in the depths of winter to a burst on an outside toilet you'll be glad you did.

When working on 8mm pipework but find you have only got 10mm fittings (or rad valves).
Solder an 8mm straight coupler onto the pipe.
The outside diameter of an 8mm coupler is 10mm.

The outside diameter of the 8mm is the same as the inside of the 10mm, i always do it this way, saves on couplings.

Use a cutting of white 15mm Speedfit pipe as a spacer on pipe clips that need fixed further out from the wall. Works really well on the pipe clips for 32mm and 40mm waste pipe where a spacer isn't available to buy. Using longer screws going through two 75mm pieces of Speedfit pipe top and bottom of the pipe clip on the waste pipe I was fitting outside today, I was able to clear a gas pipe without using extra bends.
For copper pipe I use the Talon ones.

When fitting a shower pump and the head is low, make sure the shower head is clean (could be an old shower you're boosting) and check the shower hose isn't one of those nasty Homebase ones with the reduced internal bore.

use industrial wipes to remove silicone, and don't rush things or you'll end up in trouble !!

baby wipes are just as good just so long as they have citric acid in them and a good sight cheaper as well

those rubber smothing off shapeing silicone tools are pretty fool proof

can get industrial wipes for about £4, had mine for ages now

If you cut the nozzle at about 45 degrees with a little practice you dont really need to smooth it off much but those industrial wipes really are the business.

Just put a length of masking tape top and bottom of the joint, apply the silicone, smooth it off with a wipe wrapped round the end of your finger and then remove the masking tape. Perfect neat joints every time.

Yeh used to do that until i got fed up of applying the masking tape. When it gets to the point of sealing everything up i've usually had enough of bathrooms and swear i'll never do another.................... til one comes along.

I use the 3 piece smoothing tools available from Plumbfix....quick,easy and effortless.....and a spot on finish!!!!

when diagnosing faults but dont have the parts and need to book a re-call dont tell the custard the exact problem or you end up with some have a go hero saying he can fix it for cheaper or they try to order the part them selves off the net, remember they are paying for your knowledge its not free :)

Thought I'd read the whole thread before posting my tip just to make sure no-one else had posted it and found GQuigley67's question...

anyone any tips for filing chrome for soldered joints ?? takes to long using the old jeremy kyle

now before you all shout 'Shorty you don't know diddly-squat' I suggest you try this in your garage, I didn't believe it myself when I was told some 15 years ago, then we did it and tested to 10 bar and it absolutely works!!!

YOU DO NOT NEED TO FILE THE CHROME OFF of chromed copper pipe before soldering IF you use ACTIVE flux i.e. Laco or Everflux (passive or traditional yorkshire flux won't work)

Now here's the theory. Chromium is very porous, when it's used on steel (ferous) for a decorative finish it has to be plated over nickel (not porous and non ferous) otherwise it would give no protection to the steel and it would rust quick-smart. When copper (non-ferrous) is plated with chrome no nickel is used and as just said the chrome is porous so your solder goes straight through it.

Note; This will not work on stainless steel

When using a spanner in an awkward area put some string/cord through hole in spanner and tie off to something. If you drop it you just pull it out with the string/cord!!

Interesting shorticus, I'll try that although I have to say I have a bench grinder and it makes short work of grinding the chrome off.

Lighting your BBQ with your blowtorch is safer than using BBQ fluid!

Pipe splicers are handy for cutting copper pipe however if theres water in the pipework theres no going back. Alternatively a hacksaw slightly cuts into the pipe at first. When in doubt use a hacksaw!

If powerflushing a heating system and the cylinder is a prismatic type runaway. Or to aviod bursting the cylinders bubble disconnect it and loop the pipework. Personnally I'd leave it alone.

Radiator htg probs:

1. Upstairs rads not working (gravity sys): Check for water in F&E tank (ballcock may have jammed) or check htg pump is working.

2. Downstairs rads not working (gavity & sealed sys): Sys may need cleaned/flushed (cost eg £250.00 for 8 rads and £10 for every rad thereafter. Price incl VAT and chemicals, doesnt incl any valves that may need changing say £15 - £25 per pair depending if TRV or not) or new pump required which is more likely (approx £75.00 incl supply and VAT).

3. All rads up and downstairs cold at bottom but hot on top: Sys needs flushed and cleaned (cost as above).

4. If for some reason a rad stops working close all other rads, put on CH and push hot water through the rad that ain't working. If it heats up there maybe air in sys. If it doesnt heat up valves could be faulty (cost as above, plus time to drain/plug sys plus inhibitor if required).

Note: Vent your rads every 6 months or so and on sealed sys check your pressure gauge is around 1.25 bar. Rem htg inhibitor/protector in your CH sys doenst last forever, replenish every few years and the odd powerflush wont go amiss.

Please note prices subject to change. All work guaranteed till check clears LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:

100% fuzzy even if cust insists you should insist more tell them its all part of the service even if you take the rough off and bin it.

All work guaranteed till cheque clears... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock