Search the forum,

Discuss Head? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, not that sort. :nono: Looking around on the internet, head seems to be measured either from the surface of the water in the cold tank down to draw off point, or from the bottom of the cold tank.

Which one is correct?

Surface is what I've been taught but I suppose the bottom of the CWSC gives you the worst-case scenario..

I was always taught to measure head from the tank connector, not the water surface.

pushing down on the water in the tank

atmospheric pressure is effectively the same on all installations.

Edit. In the UK. I'm not sure about places with really high mountains.

Last edited by a moderator:
atmospheric pressure is effectively the same on all installations.

yes and no i think :) as you get higher the air becomes less dense so this means less pressure????????

yes and no i think :) as you get higher the air becomes less dense so this means less pressure????????

Maybe if you went up Everest. But the air pressure in my attic and my cellar is essentially the same, but there would be a big difference in water pressure between tanks in those positions..

atmospheric pressure is 1.013 bar which is generally why we pressurise systems to 1 bar as this is equal to atmosphere and hence the system will not be under a negative pressure at cold start.

Imagine that instead of a CWST, you had a 30m high, vertical soil pipe. It would contain about 50 gallons of water, not dissimilar to a decent water tank.

You fit a 1/2" fill valve right at the top, and a 22mm tank connector a few inches up from the bottom.

When you first opened an outlet, (provided that it was level with, or below the tank con) you would have great pressure - more or less 3 bar. But as the volume of water in the column descended (because the 22mm tank con was emptying your tall, thin CWST faster than the fill valve could replenish it,) the pressure would drop lower and lower. If you had an appliance that needed 2.5 bar to work, it would stop working fairly quickly - when just 1/6th of the water had been used.

The very lowest point it can go is the level of the tank connector, which is why I was taught to measure head from that point.

Atmospheric pressure is on everything , us included. If memory serves ,its 1 bar at sea level.

Thanks to all who replied. So, I'm taking head measurement from water surface. Glad to see a healthy debate started - have learnt even more than I thought I would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Head? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I had a new bathroom fitted about 4 months ago and all was fine until about a week ago. But now when I turn the lever to run the rain head there is a 30s delay until water starts coming out , very slowly then builds up to the flow I would expect. ( I can hear water running and filling up...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
Hi, I thought I'd share my experience of dealing with Aqualisa about their Quartz Digital Diverter. When selecting the slider rail handset the water would also constantly drip \ stream water from the overhead rain head. When selecting the rain head the pressure was very reduced and the water...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that heats on controlled load over night. The large tank is in roof space of 60s built villa unit. Every few mornings, no hot water will come out of...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock