Discuss Head? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
pushing down on the water in the tank

atmospheric pressure is effectively the same on all installations.

Edit. In the UK. I'm not sure about places with really high mountains.

Last edited by a moderator:
atmospheric pressure is effectively the same on all installations.

yes and no i think :) as you get higher the air becomes less dense so this means less pressure????????

yes and no i think :) as you get higher the air becomes less dense so this means less pressure????????

Maybe if you went up Everest. But the air pressure in my attic and my cellar is essentially the same, but there would be a big difference in water pressure between tanks in those positions..

atmospheric pressure is 1.013 bar which is generally why we pressurise systems to 1 bar as this is equal to atmosphere and hence the system will not be under a negative pressure at cold start.

Imagine that instead of a CWST, you had a 30m high, vertical soil pipe. It would contain about 50 gallons of water, not dissimilar to a decent water tank.

You fit a 1/2" fill valve right at the top, and a 22mm tank connector a few inches up from the bottom.

When you first opened an outlet, (provided that it was level with, or below the tank con) you would have great pressure - more or less 3 bar. But as the volume of water in the column descended (because the 22mm tank con was emptying your tall, thin CWST faster than the fill valve could replenish it,) the pressure would drop lower and lower. If you had an appliance that needed 2.5 bar to work, it would stop working fairly quickly - when just 1/6th of the water had been used.

The very lowest point it can go is the level of the tank connector, which is why I was taught to measure head from that point.

Atmospheric pressure is on everything , us included. If memory serves ,its 1 bar at sea level.

Thanks to all who replied. So, I'm taking head measurement from water surface. Glad to see a healthy debate started - have learnt even more than I thought I would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Head? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock