Discuss green deal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

roguetrader

Gas Engineer
im signing up to be a green deal installer ive paid NAPIT to come out to check one of our installs they also check to see if your set up right before they make you an accredited green deal installer, my name is down with plumb center for their 5 day course to be a green deal accessor.
just wondering if anyone is else going for it and what do they think.

Just another government flash in pan IMHO. Same as the old home energy packs they started which loads paid to train up for then it got scrapped apart from the EPC's.

it has cost a few quid £680 for green deal installer and £1350 for the accessor course but plumb center said they will refund the £1350 after 10 installs

waste of money imho , there trying anything to meet the co target and nothings working because its all pants

[DLMURL="http://www.warmerenergyservices.com/uploads/files/The%20green%20Deal%20a%20new%20way%20to%20pay.pdf"]The green Deal a new way to pay[/DLMURL]

How to pay for a Green Deal
Most Green Deal improvements are expected to
reduce your heating bill because you will be using
less electricity, gas or oil. Repayments are made
through your electricity bill – because everyone
has one of those.

Your Green Deal Provider will help calculate the
repayments, including interest, that you will need
to make. While the repayments should be no
more than what a typical billpayer should save, the
actual savings will depend on how much energy
you use and the future costs of energy.

If you move, the new occupier will benefit from
the improvements, so they will take on the
repayments.

It's just like a second mortgage imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to a meeting yesterday, about becoming a green deal installer. Im still considering it but it does seem a bit of a ball ache to be honest. Theres a load of extra paperwork to complete and you need to pay nigh on £400 to get all the systems in place. Then you have to pay someone to come and inspect an install, and verify your paperwork to become accredited this is another £400/£500. Surley there should be some kind of grant system in place for the accreditation process? It turns out that the main people to benefit from all this will be the ones on benefits and their private landlords, as the average working family will not qualify for any of the measures except external insulation on solid walls??? and the social housing sector have their own set up.

i am doing it and have had three jobs on it but six weeks on still not been paid backlog in payments ect not an advisor just an assesor got that for 300 i pass on the data i collect to the accesor and using his software estimates energy savings and approves work on the basis if that or not that way if the sums dont add up long term it falls on him not me i charge 99pound for the assesment and that goes towards the costs inccured for the assesor to be honest if i had my time over i would have given it a miss just seemed a good idea at the time but good luck to anyone who wants to do it

if you all going to be assessors can you at least learn how to spell it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I am off out to get smashed, sleep over baby sitter called grandad is in charge of kids, pints of Peroni ahoy, play nice while I am gone!

if you all going to be assessors can you at least learn how to spell it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deer mR j0hnsson

i Am plesed 2 tel u thaT aFta carRyiNG oUt yoR grean dEel aSsezmunT da gUvmeNT wiL g1V u sum StuF. inSTulashuN 4 da L0ft an sUm udDEr f1nGs liKe SoLer pANellS.

u HAve 2 PaY diS baK ovEr 25 yeerz.

FanK u

It would have been a good idea if we could of carried out the bulk of without needing another qualification or cost to do the work. As with most things now it seems just another way of getting money from hard working people. I think we have all just about had it with stuff like this.

we are heating qualified mcs seems to be paperwork only for money to government imho

I still struggle to see how they can guarantee how a householder will save money on their bills.

Some customers will use their new timers and programmable thermostats as they are told.

Others will simply leave on manual and leave turned up to 22 + degrees.

I can see another PPI style claim era coming very very soon :ack2:.

I still struggle to see how they can guarantee how a householder will save money on their bills.

Some customers will use their new timers and programmable thermostats as they are told.

Others will simply leave on manual and leave turned up to 22 + degrees.

I can see another PPI style claim era coming very very soon :ack2:.

Yep agree Also by law your meant to give them apr rate on lending and green deal is not telling folk that. I see big claims just big cause of the apr rate not being explained and shown.

Green Deal payments are added on to the electricity bill at an agreed rate over an agreed amount of time. Certain items are paid over certain number of years. A boiler for instance is paid back over 10 years (hence why some of the manufacturers are upping their warranties - as Green Deal providers have to warranty the installed item over the life of the green deal loan).
Whether you get the green deal is dependent on what savings can be made over your energy usage and the savings made by installing new measures (e.g. cavity wall etc).
For example, If your energy bills are say £100 / month and by installing loft insulation at a cost of £300 it cuts it down to £95 then your saving is £5 /month. At £300 install cost it would take 5 years to pay back the cost. If this is shorter than the expected lifetime of the measure then it will be eligible for the Green deal finance.
There's a lot of misinformation out there about the Green deal, most of it from the press who are assuming a lot of stuff which still hasn't been decided upon in Government. The jury is still out as to whether it will work as far as I'm concerned, but one things for sure, someone is making money out of this and it sure as hell isn't us.

yes but the total amount cannot be more than the customer is already paying so for instance if they pay £100 per month now once the measures they are installed they would still pay £100 per month until the measures are paid for..... or thats how I read it? ;-)

yes but the total amount cannot be more than the customer is already paying so for instance if they pay £100 per month now once the measures they are installed they would still pay £100 per month until the measures are paid for..... or thats how I read it? ;-)

This is the bit that I don't get.

The deal passes with the property, so the next owner "inherits" both the improvement measure, and the higher energy bills.

Lets say a family live in a house, they have 3 teenage girls, and granny lives with them. They use tons of hot water and the heating is on a lot because granny feels the cold and is always at home.

Their fuel bill is therefore large, and the calculation justifies solar thermal hot water and ASHP. Big costs, but big savings.

Then they sell the house to a single bloke who is a long distance lorry driver, who spends a lot of time away from home, likes a coolish house, and just has a quick shower.

Is he then saddled with paying back measures that made perfect sense for the first owner, but no sense at all for him?

wouldnt buy a house with debt attached personally, and you wouldnt get a mortgage to cover any debt existing, so looks like the vendors will have to clear the debt to sell and as has been stated in the press the loans companies involved want all the interest owed on the outstanding years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wouldnt buy a house with debt attached personally, and you wouldnt get a mortgage to cover any debt existing, so looks like the vendors will have to clear the debt to sell and as has been stated in the press the loans companies involved want all the interest owed on the outstanding years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I might, but I would certainly use it to knock down the price. I think its one of these "bright ideas" that really hasn't been thought through.

The only people I can see it really working for is private landlords who intend to keep the property for years - they get free infrastructure upgrade at the tenants expense. For everyone else - too many unknown variables.

The biggest problem as far as I can see it is that the only people who qualify are those on benefits, so the only people who will be better off are those who cannot or choose not to work and their private landlords. the qualification criterior puts people into three groups the cant pays (detailed above) the can pays ( you and me who work) and social housing the only measures that the can pays qualify for are external rendering. i suppose we could look at it as an extension of the benefits system.........bet Mark Group are rubbing their hands together though the directors stand to become very rich off the back of the green deal

The only people who will gain some benefit is the utilities providers e.g. british Gas etc. They are Green deal providers, will train their guys to be assessors then use their employees as installers. We were solar PV installers a few years back, spent loads getting qualified, busted a gut on the paperwork and constant updating of the quality manuals. did just enough installs to possibly break even. Green Deal is another warmfront scheme in disguise. It will benefit the corporate companies, the training establishments and the competent person schemes. Don't waste your money on this, But good luck if you have, I hope it works for you

That is not correct. There are three parts to a green deal assessment. The energy performance certificate which shows typical savings, based on standard occupancy. Then there is the occupancy assessment. This tailors the EPC results for the current occupier and the result is a Green Deal Advice Report (GDAR).

The GDAR (amoungst other things) shows the client how their potential savings compares to the typical savings stated in the EPC. Now as the loan stays with the property (intheory) and so could cover multiple occupants over the life of the GD plan. The loan amount/repayment rate is based on the typical savings shown by the EPC.

This means that higher than typical energy users will save more and actually have a net saving on their fuel bills (including loan repayment). BUT lower than typical energy users can actually end up with a net increase in their energy bills.

Then you have to factor in ECO, which are the subsidies. This is split in to 3 groups:

- Affordable Warmth, so those who would normally have got CERT funding for insulation.
- Carbon Reduction, aimed at hard to treat properties or off mains gas areas
- Communities, Aimed at the areas considered to be the 15% worst off in the country.

I agree about the paperwork. When I was just doing domestic EPCs I would need 2-3 sides of A4, business energy audits I would use 2-4 sides of A4. For a domestic green deal assessment I need 19 sides of A4 and may have to keep my paper work for 30+ years.

It certainly won't be for everyone. I'm a lower than average energy user so even with the subsidy it is not worth getting solid wall insulation on my property.

I did say there were three parts to a green deal assessment. The third is the assessor has to give advice to the household on how they could save energy costs through no-cost measures. So human behaviour, setting controls correctly etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to green deal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi need some advice on this odd story, I had a Bosch boiler installed just over 2 years ago by Governments home energy scheme. The company passed...
Replies
Views
N
Hey DIY enthusiasts, Just wrapped up a drain installation and wanted to share some quick tips for a smooth project: 1. Plan Smart: Think about...
Replies
Views
Nasir Ahamed
N
I'm remodeling our master bath. We have two 30 inch vanities with a 24 inch open space between them. Drain pipes go down into the basement of...
Replies
Views
H
Hi! If anyone is able to give any advice it's hugely appreciated! I'm in the UK if that makes a difference. I have a condensing combi boiler...
Replies
Views
S
Has anyone signed up to the WarmBox boiler installer network? They pay more than Boxt and on the day of installation so wondering if anyone else...
Replies
Views
Scott Dods
S
Back