Discuss green deal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still struggle to see how they can guarantee how a householder will save money on their bills.

Some customers will use their new timers and programmable thermostats as they are told.

Others will simply leave on manual and leave turned up to 22 + degrees.

I can see another PPI style claim era coming very very soon :ack2:.

Yep agree Also by law your meant to give them apr rate on lending and green deal is not telling folk that. I see big claims just big cause of the apr rate not being explained and shown.

Green Deal payments are added on to the electricity bill at an agreed rate over an agreed amount of time. Certain items are paid over certain number of years. A boiler for instance is paid back over 10 years (hence why some of the manufacturers are upping their warranties - as Green Deal providers have to warranty the installed item over the life of the green deal loan).
Whether you get the green deal is dependent on what savings can be made over your energy usage and the savings made by installing new measures (e.g. cavity wall etc).
For example, If your energy bills are say ÂŁ100 / month and by installing loft insulation at a cost of ÂŁ300 it cuts it down to ÂŁ95 then your saving is ÂŁ5 /month. At ÂŁ300 install cost it would take 5 years to pay back the cost. If this is shorter than the expected lifetime of the measure then it will be eligible for the Green deal finance.
There's a lot of misinformation out there about the Green deal, most of it from the press who are assuming a lot of stuff which still hasn't been decided upon in Government. The jury is still out as to whether it will work as far as I'm concerned, but one things for sure, someone is making money out of this and it sure as hell isn't us.

yes but the total amount cannot be more than the customer is already paying so for instance if they pay ÂŁ100 per month now once the measures they are installed they would still pay ÂŁ100 per month until the measures are paid for..... or thats how I read it? ;-)

yes but the total amount cannot be more than the customer is already paying so for instance if they pay ÂŁ100 per month now once the measures they are installed they would still pay ÂŁ100 per month until the measures are paid for..... or thats how I read it? ;-)

This is the bit that I don't get.

The deal passes with the property, so the next owner "inherits" both the improvement measure, and the higher energy bills.

Lets say a family live in a house, they have 3 teenage girls, and granny lives with them. They use tons of hot water and the heating is on a lot because granny feels the cold and is always at home.

Their fuel bill is therefore large, and the calculation justifies solar thermal hot water and ASHP. Big costs, but big savings.

Then they sell the house to a single bloke who is a long distance lorry driver, who spends a lot of time away from home, likes a coolish house, and just has a quick shower.

Is he then saddled with paying back measures that made perfect sense for the first owner, but no sense at all for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to green deal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi need some advice on this odd story, I had a Bosch boiler installed just over 2 years ago by Governments home energy scheme. The company passed...
Replies
Views
N
Hey DIY enthusiasts, Just wrapped up a drain installation and wanted to share some quick tips for a smooth project: 1. Plan Smart: Think about...
Replies
Views
Nasir Ahamed
N
I'm remodeling our master bath. We have two 30 inch vanities with a 24 inch open space between them. Drain pipes go down into the basement of...
Replies
Views
H
Hi! If anyone is able to give any advice it's hugely appreciated! I'm in the UK if that makes a difference. I have a condensing combi boiler...
Replies
Views
S
Has anyone signed up to the WarmBox boiler installer network? They pay more than Boxt and on the day of installation so wondering if anyone else...
Replies
Views
Scott Dods
S
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock