Search the forum,

Discuss Good soldering matt /alternatives in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Stanios

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all,

Are there any good matts or other alternatives to standard "monument" stuff?

On my third matt while they do last about a year the biggest issue is they produce more smoke than the pipe being soldered! The smell is quite nasty too.

I'm on the bes cheap ones around 1.50 but stapled two together so far it's working out ok

A piece of Ceraboard insulation sheet (similar looking to asbestos) will do as a flat sheet where suitable.

I use a metal dustpan if i can fit it in, like last week when I wanted to solder a 22mm fitting right under a new expensive bath I just fitted.

Oz, you love a wind up!
:p:p:p
But will you last for years after grinding asbestos dust?

I would not have posted the comment on the Public Forum.
Personally, I know of 3 Plumbers that have died of asbestosis.
The last one only a week ago.
Poor buggers, cutting asbestos flues, sewers, roofs and flat sheets with angle grinders for years early on in their careers.

It's a real shame that so many people were exposed to the dangers without any warnings from the manufacturers.

Collateral Damage: I think not - totally avoidable

But set 15 houses on fire mind lol
You joke but I had a heat mat/fire related incident once. I was putting a tee in under a kitchen sink for a water dispenser and used my mat as normal to protect the wall at the back of the sink. Fired up my blowtorch and the heat mat burst into flames! I grabbed my pump pliers and ripped the flaming mat out, ran through the house and chucked it outside. I had been doing a lot of oil work leading up to that job and my mat had somehow got kerosene spilled on it the back of the work van. I hadn't detected the smell because everything at that point had a whiff of oil about it so didn't really notice - until my fire proof mat was on fire in a confined space.

Reply to Good soldering matt /alternatives in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock