Search the forum,

Discuss Good soldering matt /alternatives in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Stanios

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all,

Are there any good matts or other alternatives to standard "monument" stuff?

On my third matt while they do last about a year the biggest issue is they produce more smoke than the pipe being soldered! The smell is quite nasty too.

I'm on the bes cheap ones around 1.50 but stapled two together so far it's working out ok

A piece of Ceraboard insulation sheet (similar looking to asbestos) will do as a flat sheet where suitable.

I use a metal dustpan if i can fit it in, like last week when I wanted to solder a 22mm fitting right under a new expensive bath I just fitted.

Oz, you love a wind up!
:p:p:p
But will you last for years after grinding asbestos dust?

I would not have posted the comment on the Public Forum.
Personally, I know of 3 Plumbers that have died of asbestosis.
The last one only a week ago.
Poor buggers, cutting asbestos flues, sewers, roofs and flat sheets with angle grinders for years early on in their careers.

It's a real shame that so many people were exposed to the dangers without any warnings from the manufacturers.

Collateral Damage: I think not - totally avoidable

But set 15 houses on fire mind lol
You joke but I had a heat mat/fire related incident once. I was putting a tee in under a kitchen sink for a water dispenser and used my mat as normal to protect the wall at the back of the sink. Fired up my blowtorch and the heat mat burst into flames! I grabbed my pump pliers and ripped the flaming mat out, ran through the house and chucked it outside. I had been doing a lot of oil work leading up to that job and my mat had somehow got kerosene spilled on it the back of the work van. I hadn't detected the smell because everything at that point had a whiff of oil about it so didn't really notice - until my fire proof mat was on fire in a confined space.

Reply to Good soldering matt /alternatives in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with elbows), the last cm before the open end is pretty much straight, but as a result of the bend it is not perfectly round. I mean it is pretty much...
Replies
Views
Hi, So i have lived in my house for 20+ years, (1990 build) its a detached property, corner plot with various manholes in the garden. In the last year I've noticed i can hear when my neighbor flush their toilet through my downstairs toilet - this is a relatively new thing, so am assuming its...
Replies
Views
About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the issue. When I first made contacted enviromental health I was told the following Could be my drains and to have my drains checked. Could be the sewers...
Replies
Views
First of all, apologies, it seems this topic has been posted but don't believe my specific issue is covered. So been living in my Victorian house for almost 10 years, no issues. Have 2 bathrooms, 2 loos that all go to a large underground soakaway, I believe. I can only see one soil vent pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this could be as a result of us noticing the sound more when there is less environmental noise). Unfortunately, it is severely disrupting our sleep, so we...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock