Search the forum,

Discuss Gas training in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjb

I am thinking about a change in career by doing a combined plumbing and gas engineering course, can any body recommend a provider or give me advice on whether the courses are worth the money.

A two week plastering course and three months plastering will make you a decent plasterer. Speed will increase with time and £300 in tools will suffice. A plumbing/gas course will take considerably longer, cost a great deal more and because it will take years to gain experience,employment is uncertain. If you have friends/family in the trade, who will employ you, work with them and study at local college. Otherwise research hard and think long before you spend money. Training centres are set up to make money for the trainers not the students.

They are not worth it mate, do some research on here for a start.

There is a guy on here called SteveWannadoGas why not PM him, he has / is going through this he might be able to give you some direct advice.

Last edited:
The 3 trades in most demand as subbies, plastering including exterior render, tiling, amtico or similar LVT installer.

Tillers & Plasters are like rocking horse poo around this area and the one's that you can find charge a lot more than Plumbers, only need small van/estate car , tool outlay less than 1K, No need to keep doing courses every 5 years, as a Plaster if you take to it you could be earning good money in 12Mths, Why does everyone want to be a Plumber ??????

Tillers & Plasters are like rocking horse poo around this area and the one's that you can find charge a lot more than Plumbers, only need small van/estate car , tool outlay less than 1K, No need to keep doing courses every 5 years, as a Plaster if you take to it you could be earning good money in 12Mths, Why does everyone want to be a Plumber ??????

Gawd knows

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been in the stone industry, a mason for many years, the job doesn't get any easier, so am thinking of getting into property development and the cost of boiler replacement is one of the biggest expenditures, so thought if I get qualified it will pay for itself after a couple of houses

I have been in the stone industry, a mason for many years, the job doesn't get any easier, so am thinking of getting into property development and the cost of boiler replacement is one of the biggest expenditures, so thought if I get qualified it will pay for itself after a couple of houses

Really??

A full bathroom install is more money...

Thats funny cos I have an old church building & was thinking of doing a short course in stone masonry & craving to save myself a fortune replacing the damage stuff, do they do one say about 6 weeks or so that would allow me to do it all ?

P.S. I already have a few of my own tools & a second hand apron!!

I have just installed a full bathroom including tiling with excellent finish , very modern for £1200. Try getting a new boiler fitted for that price?

How about being a pilot!? That's 100K +... just an idea...

Sorry, what was the question again? :sifone:

...thinking about getting on a combined plumbing & gas engineering course and getting into property development...

Seriously, gjb.
Do the maths:- 6 months training + 6 months loss of income + Tools, Insurance,Gas safe registration is going, if successful, to set you back 30K.
Maximum saving doing your own installs £500.
You're going to need a 60 unit property empire to break even.
Talk to people in the trade. On a full refurb. Labour cost of plastering normally exceeds that of gas work.

Why do folks think property development is easy? Another example of uneducated expectation. The only real way to make proper money in property is to buy property that cannot be mortgaged so you need a substantial pot of cash or a whopping overdraft. Then you cannot sell it on until you've owned it for a minimum of 6 months due to the money laundering act, even then you will need to open your books to the lender to prove the increase in value, then you've got capital gains tax, and an increase in land registry fee if it's a rental. Yeah it's dead easy! Then your up against all the amateurs that don't do the sums!

Just aswell I don't need to take out a mortgage then..and :nono: has that to do with my original question?

Just aswell I don't need to take out a mortgage then..and :nono: has that to do with my original question?
Just an advice...

you clearly think that you are the only one that understands the financials on property development? It certainly doesn't come across as advise, rather too condescending me thinks

you clearly think that you are the only one that understands the financials on property development? It certainly doesn't come across as advise, rather too condescending me thinks

Condescending! What in the same way that you think you can learn my trade in a few months & start installing correctly?

Excuse us if we get a bit up tight.

Now go do your research as to what is actually involved or loose some money to a mick mouse training company who will tell you all you want to hear about getting on the GSR and stop wasting peoples time.

I am out of here.

:waving:

Hi gjb, the likes of post #3 have given good advice and more can be found on this subject by using the little search box (top right hand corner).

Maybe these quick crash courses will suit you as you will be working solely in property that you own but generally they will not make you a full blown plumber capable of earning £*** a year. Perhaps St Google is your friend as I don`t think you have ever stated where you live and lastly when the mods see a thread going nowhere and members swearing they tend to shut it down.

Ooo, I didn't ask you to either read nor reply to my posting and I am certainly not as ignorant to believe that I can learn a trade in a matter if months or even years, I am a stone Mason and as such am only to aware of it takes a life time to truly know a trade.
You clearly are not a happy person if you only wish to berate others who are just seeking advice from those that have more knowledge than them.

Amongst the replies is a genuine desire not to see money wasted on courses that promise much and deliver little. Some are designed with inbuilt failure criteria and minimal feedback so the student blames himself for lack of progress, whilst course takes even more money for numerous resits before core subject is even taught. I wish you well and urge caution in equal measure.

A voice of reason, many thanks, already decided it is not the way to go, guess I will have to bite the bullet and employ a professional. Just like to do things myself, far more satisfying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas training in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock