Search the forum,

Discuss Gas pipe behind plaster board wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeebeedee

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Not in its own purpose made duct ie dot and dab.

At risk?

What made you discover this situation?

Common sense. Do you really think a dry waller (dot n dabber or whatever you like to call him) gives a toss if the pipe is covered in bonding and there is certainly never a gas man standing watching him.

Gas pipes in walls should be banned :angry:

if its existing its NCS, if you started to deem this AR you could turn off 80% of new build houses.

if its newly built then smash the wall out and tell the spreads to do it again.

if its existing its NCS, if you started to deem this AR you could turn off 80% of new build houses.

GIUSP 5.12..... AR (i just checked to make sure)

90% of the new build in the country are done wrong and they know it.
What gets done?
FK all.

GIUSP 5.12..... AR (i just checked to make sure)

90% of the new build in the country are done wrong and they know it.
What gets done?
FK all.

i agree. i got chucked off 1/2 of a new build job (job was split in two) because i refused to turn on the first 14 properties when i discovered the pipework had not been covered. New builds are a joke, builders are a joke.

At the risk of sounding contentious if the dry wall isn't sealed to the ceiling space then it's vented through the ceiling space and is no different to pipes run under floor boards. Thus no cavity?

Who are we to wonder why our is but to do or die.

The builders don't care, GSR don't care, most engineers don't care and nobody will until a couple of houses blow up.

I think this illustrates the issue with plumbers first fix!

I still maintain that if dot dab isn't sealed at the ceiling/wall plate then it can not constitute a cavity!

Only way to be sure is to surface lay or chase and fill.... Simples.

I'd be more worried about Mrs Jones wacking a nail through it to hang her picture on!

I'd be more worried about Mrs Jones wacking a nail through it to hang her picture on!

How would a solid bead of dry wall adhesive prevent that?

Unless you fit it in a purpose built deflector trunking then Mrs Jones just better watch herself haha

I really don't like the idea of gas pipes buried in walls but money talks in this industry as it does in every other walk of life.
We are the minions at the bottom of the pile with no say on anything no matter how loud we shout.
The big corps will always get their way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I phoned gas safe about that and they told me that it's fine it's only if it's a timber framed building that it needs to be protected.
seems stupid I think any pipe in a cavity should have to have protection to stop someone drilling or nailing through it.

I phoned gas safe about that and they told me that it's fine it's only if it's a timber framed building that it needs to be protected.
seems stupid I think any pipe in a cavity should have to have protection to stop someone drilling or nailing through it.

I have rang gas safe for a couple of things over the last few years when it comes to ambiguous 'grey' areas only to be told to use my discretion!

That's what you call governance!

I think the best thing gas safe do is take our money and send us TB's

MK

Even if they were to stop it now, how many pipes gave been legally and properly chased, wrapped and cemented in only to get drilled through in later years?

i kangoed through a two inch incoming steel gas pipe gas board come dug a hole out side put some denso round the pipe cut through with a hacksaw then bunged the end with a ball of rolled up denso wrapped the end and buggered of to get the bits

Ignorance is legally no defence when it goes wrong. Builders and gas fitters should be able to work together to ensure the pipe is properly encased in plaster. If I came across this? The ECV would be turned off and an AR highlighted on the paperwork.

The biggest danger is sparks from near by switches in the same part of the wall. Plasterers should fully dab top and bottom of the board to seal for air testing so it's not vented in theory.

If I was going to drill or nail a pipe I'd rather it be behind the plasterboard than chased and plated.

Exactly, where this pipe cam in and was buried in the wall was by the window in the perfect place for mrs jones to say ooooooooo them drapes would look lovley with my curtains

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 19
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas pipe behind plaster board wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock