Search the forum,

Discuss Frost stat and pipe stat boiler inside garage in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Inverness

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
New built home. Has a combi on a 2 heating zones. The issue boiler located inside garage has a frost stat and a status ct100 pipe stat. The boiler is running through the night and the radiator on the 2nd zone that room is roasting hot.
Any suggestions? The pipe stat is on 40 degrees can this pipe stat go below 40 degrees? Any suggestions

The frost stat and pipe stat should be wired in series, and shouldn't be operating the boiler at all unless the frost stat has clicked in around 5 degrees. Then the pipe stat should turn it off again when the pipe temp has got up to 40.
What makes you think the fault lies with the frost protection? Could it be a room thermostat or motorised valve problem?

And re the Salus ct100, I think the dial markings below 40 do allow you to turn it to say 30deg if you want to, but I don't think that's related to the problem you describe.

Last edited:
Its a brand new house Barratts homes.
I think the design is suppose to do this but the customers are not wanting the boiler running over the colder nights for longer than it needs to hense high energy costs.
Is there anything I can do so if the frost stat does kick in it's only on until it reaches 15 degrees instead of 40 degrees?? Thank you

I think the pipe stat is wired in away when it detects the colder temperature it opens up the zone valve and closes when it drops. This is my understanding.

Its a brand new house Barratts homes.
I think the design is suppose to do this but the customers are not wanting the boiler running over the colder nights for longer than it needs to hense high energy costs.
Is there anything I can do so if the frost stat does kick in it's only on until it reaches 15 degrees instead of 40 degrees?? Thank you
OK, I misunderstood, if it's just that it needs to go off at a lower temp, you could try turning the Salus one down to min if you dare!
The pipe stats I've seen, seem to mostly have a min temp. of 20deg. Screwfix do a Drayton one that goes down to 20.

Are you sure the pipe stat is wired correctly and doing its job? I wouldn't expect a room to be 'roasting hot' just through frost protection!

Last edited:
Thanks..
The salus ct100 only has 40-65 but before 40 there is dots which I'm assuming could go as low as 15 degrees but anyone know? I've checked the manual and nothing..

Thanks..
The salus ct100 only has 40-65 but before 40 there is dots which I'm assuming could go as low as 15 degrees but anyone know? I've checked the manual and nothing..
The number and size of dots imply it might go down to 20. I believe it is a mechanical bi-metallic mechanism, so you might be able to hear it click on and off, in which case a bit of experimenting off the pipe might indicate its temp. range.

Reply to Frost stat and pipe stat boiler inside garage in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I am somewhat confused. My daughter has a combi boiler bought 2-3 years ago and has it timed to come on in morning for an hour and at night for a few hours using "auto"? mode I had been brought up to leave boilers on manual and set the thermostat low at night to prevent pipes from...
Replies
Views
Firstly I won't be touching or going anything... I only want advice if this is right.. my partners dad has a aga that is solid fuel unregulated heat source and a oil boiler. The problem the hit water cylinder doesn't have a stat thus why the hot water is roasting hot but there is a pipe stat on...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. Pilot light extinction problem on an old Myson Economist has been traced to a faulty overheat limit stat. It's a Ranco LM5P8037 which is now obsolete. It's a 2A 30mv 110 degree stat with a coil inserted into a pocket on the flow outlet. Will any other Ranco limit stat with similar...
Replies
Views
N
  • Question
I have a ideal logic max boiler ( installed in Nov 2021) in the garage, water tank and pump in airing cupboard in the house. I have a frost stat in the garage set at 5c and a pipe stat on the return pipe to the boiler set at 10c. So can anyone explain why my radiators are still heating up on...
Replies
Views
Bypassboy
B
I would like to add an additional radiator to our central heating system. We have an attached double garage converted to a man-cave and workshop (with dividing stud partition wall) currently not covered by the central heating. The former is not currently user friendly in winter, and we get by...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock