Search the forum,

Discuss Frost stat and pipe stat boiler inside garage in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Inverness

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
New built home. Has a combi on a 2 heating zones. The issue boiler located inside garage has a frost stat and a status ct100 pipe stat. The boiler is running through the night and the radiator on the 2nd zone that room is roasting hot.
Any suggestions? The pipe stat is on 40 degrees can this pipe stat go below 40 degrees? Any suggestions

The frost stat and pipe stat should be wired in series, and shouldn't be operating the boiler at all unless the frost stat has clicked in around 5 degrees. Then the pipe stat should turn it off again when the pipe temp has got up to 40.
What makes you think the fault lies with the frost protection? Could it be a room thermostat or motorised valve problem?

And re the Salus ct100, I think the dial markings below 40 do allow you to turn it to say 30deg if you want to, but I don't think that's related to the problem you describe.

Last edited:
Its a brand new house Barratts homes.
I think the design is suppose to do this but the customers are not wanting the boiler running over the colder nights for longer than it needs to hense high energy costs.
Is there anything I can do so if the frost stat does kick in it's only on until it reaches 15 degrees instead of 40 degrees?? Thank you

I think the pipe stat is wired in away when it detects the colder temperature it opens up the zone valve and closes when it drops. This is my understanding.

Its a brand new house Barratts homes.
I think the design is suppose to do this but the customers are not wanting the boiler running over the colder nights for longer than it needs to hense high energy costs.
Is there anything I can do so if the frost stat does kick in it's only on until it reaches 15 degrees instead of 40 degrees?? Thank you
OK, I misunderstood, if it's just that it needs to go off at a lower temp, you could try turning the Salus one down to min if you dare!
The pipe stats I've seen, seem to mostly have a min temp. of 20deg. Screwfix do a Drayton one that goes down to 20.

Are you sure the pipe stat is wired correctly and doing its job? I wouldn't expect a room to be 'roasting hot' just through frost protection!

Last edited:
Thanks..
The salus ct100 only has 40-65 but before 40 there is dots which I'm assuming could go as low as 15 degrees but anyone know? I've checked the manual and nothing..

Thanks..
The salus ct100 only has 40-65 but before 40 there is dots which I'm assuming could go as low as 15 degrees but anyone know? I've checked the manual and nothing..
The number and size of dots imply it might go down to 20. I believe it is a mechanical bi-metallic mechanism, so you might be able to hear it click on and off, in which case a bit of experimenting off the pipe might indicate its temp. range.

Reply to Frost stat and pipe stat boiler inside garage in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no issue, however, when running the heating the pressure drops. Im looking for some ideas on what could be causing this. I have no sign of pipe leaks...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock