Search the forum,

Discuss Flux on Uniform... Grrrr in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad_stoke

Gas Engineer
I always wipe my hands on my shirt if I have flux on etc. Then after the wash my shirts, sweatshirts and trousers all go red or have patches of red(orignally black) lol.

Anyone have the same problem? Lol.

(for all you sarcy gimps... no I dont want carry a Hand towel around everytime I use flux on a fitting) lol.
Any resolution?

Last edited:
Soon as I see it I couldn't resist lol

Easy solution - just lick your fingers after you have used the flux.

At least that way - you won't ruin your clothing.

If you don't like the taste or the ulcers - just stick your fingers in your ear.

Or just bring a rag.

Easy solution - just lick your fingers after you have used the flux.

At least that way - you won't ruin your clothing.

If you don't like the taste or the ulcers - just stick your fingers in your ear.

Or just bring a rag.
Do you by any chance look like this after licking your fingers.....
844a9fe5e090a14ed22ee8278994587c.jpg

place a free condom on your flux finger and just peel off once finished soldering...throw away though..as could be painful if mixed up later on.....:ack2:

... no I dont want carry a Hand towel around everytime I use flux on a fitting) lol.
Any resolution?

What about the flux brush!? And I take it, you don't clean your fittings after soldering!?

Last edited:
I've always wondered why my work clothes get red patches on them sometimes :)

funny but people must have known something 30 years ago when they all wore boiler suits when working, modern man has only himself to blame :)

funny but people must have known something 30 years ago when they all wore boiler suits when working, modern man has only himself to blame :)

There's two subbys at work who wear matching boiler suits. They look like ghostbusters!

For the nasty jobs I wear a boiler suit. Not so keen on it now they've banned rigger boots though

We had a roofer kicked off site last week. He was running across a university roof in shorts and trainers when a health and safety guy pulled into the car park.

Use the Traditional flux like I do. It will wash off in a hot wash. Fairly harmless flux to pipes also.
Then all you need to worry about is all the silicone & Jet Lube & Boss White, etc, that you smear over your clothes!
It does make sense to wear overalls, but I would find them too warm in normal weather & inside homes. Also look too much like a common tradesman or a farmer if you wear overalls.

Riggers have no ankle support and are difficult for paramedics to cut off. Zipped rigger boots are allowed on power stations but not on the off shaw Riggs. Which is stupid as the idea is if you fall over board then they can be kicked off and you can swim to safety. But hse decided that it's better to loose 15 lives since the ban came in then come up with an acceptable solution like a zipped boot.

A lot of guys have started to wear cat supremecy boots which I have to say are a lovely boot but they aren't cheap and they offer no scuff protection over the toe so they wear through quickly in the likes of our trade. The soles aren't great for mud either there designed for wet metal grip rather then boggy sites.

im no laundry expert but I think red patches are from bleach not flux.
i.e blame it on the missus

Yeah i had that, i kept having a go at my wife not taking care of my work clothes
then realised it was the flux

The way you said "they've" I thought you were going to say the HSE have banned them lol. There isn't actually many contractors that have banned you wearing them. I have contracted for (and still do) Morgan Sindall, McLaren, Bouygues, RG Carter and Croasrail, in fact i think the only job I've been told I cannot wear them was when doing some steam pipe welding for a hospital estates team.

I think the ban comes from the likes of scaffolders not wearing the correct size etc and falling breaking their ankles making it look as though they lack support.

Was refused entry to two power stations and a police station in them so don't bother any more.

Shame I really like them as it goes

Was refused entry to two power stations and a police station in them so don't bother any more.

Shame I really like them as it goes

Yeah I know loads of lads that don't wear them no more because they think one day they'll be refused onto site. Personally I've started wearing cat lace ups now. The riggers are good for welding and hot works though!

£124 for the supremacy boots keep toying with it but can't justify

its all down to the brand of clothes you wear.

i have had two brands that the black doesnt goes a reddy pinkish hue when in contact with flux.

most brands do go reddy pink. its down to how the black dye is manufactured (which pigments are used)

for the life of me i cant remember which brands dont react, so each time i get new workwear i am ordering different ones til i find them.

so far i have ruled out the following as they do go red

dickies
fruit of the loom
gildan
de-walt

if anyone can add to the list, im sure we will re-discover the brand that stays black.

We have uneek polo shirts and they go red/pink

Fruit of Loom stuff goes pink for sure.. So have your shirts printed pink to start with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flux on Uniform... Grrrr in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock