Search the forum,

Discuss flux brush after soldering in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do many people use a flux brush to wipe fittings just after.soldering to help the solder run around the fitting?

Nope. Just dip the solder in the flux if needed. Wipe with wet rag once cool

I just keep dipping the solder wire in flux and adding it to the joint as I heat it

If you don't overheat the joint and use a quality flux. You shoudnt need to add more flux.

I just remembered that a chap I worked with last year used to solder his joints that way. I kid you not!

Chap did not put any solder in the joint though only on the outside.

Thought the technic was.used.to help make sure solder.had.run all the way around?

no as the solder should of already run/ entered the joint

Watched him do it a few times on his jobs and blow me not one leak. Have not tried it myself.

Yes it does hold pressure, wish I had filmed him doing now. Could have gone plumbum viral :stuart:

No,i am a proper plumber i use my fingers,flux the pipe,assemble,solder,wipe with wool or a dry rag,wet rag when cool

I used to do that when I first started just to be on the safe side, but soon realised that it was pointless

I'm with gas man on this, I use my finger, flux the pipe, push all the fittings together and whipe the excess off and stick it back in the tub

I can't stand this. It seems like a way to "polish" up what is in fact just bad technique. A side effect is that the flux brush ends up disintegrating with the hot brushing and all the bits end up in the flux pot like loads of dead midges.

It grinds my gears when I see students doing it.

Flux oxidises copper so unless you wash your fittings afterwards they will all go green the next day.

I'll be honest. That one gets on my wick if i see it, usually followed by a mouth full of abuse depending what kinda mood i'm in.

I'll be honest. That one gets on my wick if i see it, usually followed by a mouth full of abuse depending what kinda mood i'm in.
And what if your in a bad mood - physical violence ??? [emoji12]

No,i am a proper plumber i use my fingers,flux the pipe,assemble,solder,wipe with wool or a dry rag,wet rag when cool

the way I was taught nearly 30 years ago.. never fails to give a good joint and still do it that way now but talking to younger guys they use cleaning fluxes etc and wipe with flux brush afterwards but I dont see the point, as someone said, waste of flux.
I have modernised my technique with the use of a 1/2" paintbrush to get the flux on ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to flux brush after soldering in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock