Discuss disconnecting reconnecting gas cookers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjgas

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
is it legal for a householder to disconnect a gas cooker bayount to clean behind and to reconnect same cooker

As above it is legal.

However it always confuses/ worries me how a removal man can disconnect a cooker / then transport 300 miles and then reconnect and say it is safe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As above it is legal.

However it always confuses/ worries me how a removal man can disconnect a cooker / then transport 300 miles and then reconnect and say it is safe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i was told he cant he can disconnect but reconnecting requires a gas safe engineer i cant work out why as i feel the chance of a leak are greater when dissing than connecting as without the hose plugged in you have an open end

Last edited:
The reason for a bayonet fitting was to assist to clean behind the cooker.

A long lost skill of the modern woman :56:

I've always thought this strange as above. recently installed a cooker and after checking fittings etc. with LDF it was only the tightness test that showed up that the gas cooker bayonet had a slight leak because it had't seated right, a simple problem for me to sort out but how does the householder or removal man know if thats happened because of course they dont do a tightness test.
my advice if asked is always to get a gas safe engineer to do the job properly although it may be legal for them to do it, when theres a problem down the line the customer will say "well he said it would be alright" Blame culture

I've always thought this strange as above. recently installed a cooker and after checking fittings etc. with LDF it was only the tightness test that showed up that the gas cooker bayonet had a slight leak because it had't seated right, a simple problem for me to sort out but how does the householder or removal man know if thats happened because of course they dont do a tightness test.
my advice if asked is always to get a gas safe engineer to do the job properly although it may be legal for them to do it, when theres a problem down the line the customer will say "well he said it would be alright" Blame culture

If it only showed on the tightness test and not LDF I would assume its a very small leak and would never reach LEL and its not a case of "He" said it would be alright" Its Gas Safe and the HSE that says its alright.

That said I too recommend that an engineer reconnects as he will also check safety devices and do a tightness check at the meter.

I used to walk into my grans years ago and say "gran yer pilot light is out. The kitchen is reekin of gas".......oh so it is son open the back door for a minute:lol:

I used to walk into my grans years ago and say "gran yer pilot light is out. The kitchen is reekin of gas".......oh so it is son open the back door for a minute:lol:

I see where you are coming from Tamz mate.
On a personable note, I always work to make things as safe as possible BUT above all I always make sure I am within the latest rules and regs so if anything does happen (God forbid) at least I am covered.
I can stand up in court and say ,I followed the rules.

So why worry if someone unplugs the cooker, cleans down the back and plugs it in again. It is not your concern and is allowed in the rules.
Even the biggest halfwit could manage that and if the bayonet passes so what and you know as well as i do, if they were down the back of the cooker with a *** in there mouth it wouldn't even glow.

That reminds me. I must phone the electrician in the morning. My hall bulb has blown :frown:
What a society of dipsticks we have bred who need a written instruction and method statement to do anything and if they get it wrong it is someone else's fault.

Great Britain at what?

I have come across cases where the bayonet connector is seized and when you disconnect it ****es out.
Joe public may not know what to do in that circumstance.
You are relying on a fitting self sealing and as with everything they can fail.

Im not sure where you are going with your argument. yes it should be fail safe but you and I know its not always.

All I was saying was as a tradesman we have to cover ourselves (why do you think we have to have insurance by law)?

We are not in the job to be friends with people but to carry out a service professionally and my professional opinion is to recommend a GSR does the job.

Would a member of the public know the clearances required, ventilation, safety device checks?
Why stop at cookers, I know a few people that can put a fire in or a boiler, just because they light up does not make them safe.

Don't know what all the fuss is about here. It is quite legal and all above board for a householder to pull out there cooker, disconnect the bayonet, clean behind and then re-connect it to same fitting. End of story!

If the bayonet is passing, then as tamz mentioned it would be unlikely to come to anything if it is re-connected within a short space of time.

As above it is legal.

A removal man cannot transport a gas appliance to another locality and legally re-connect to a new supply.

We are not talking about people fitting cookers or any other appliance. Only unplugging the hose for cleaning purposes. They are allowed to do that under the regs.

Whether or not they are capable of doing it is another matter.

isn't that what a bayonnet is designed for ??? so whats the big fuss

now another question is it legal and safe for labourers who ar ripping out kitchens to disconnect cookers and also kitchen fitters to reconnect the same cooker seeing they are not the house holder

No. They should be getting an rgi in as it is work but in reality they will just do it.

now another question is it legal and safe for labourers who ar ripping out kitchens to disconnect cookers and also kitchen fitters to reconnect the same cooker seeing they are not the house holder

A point demonstated at a property i went to were they had a new kitchen and through a hole cut in the back of the unit what did i see, a ballofix on the gas feed to the hob

that is what i thought i am in a bit of a dilema the new subbies i am working for are doing just that now when i tell them they should not be touching the cookers they hit me with the customer can do this so what is the differance when i tell them this is work carried out on a appliance they look aT ME SIDE WAYS AND TELL ME DONT LET THE FOREMAN HEAR THAT SHOULD I REPORT THIS TO GAS SAFE OR LET IT GO

you can always report this anonymously to gas safe and HSE, if you feel it would put yourself in a difficult position with your employers. but this does need reporting. very dangerous are they even doing a tightness test on the supply, i doubt it.

the gas regs state someting like, no person shall carry out work in relation to a gas fitting unless he is competent to do so.

the important word is work, meaning that the removal of the cooker hose my a member of the public for cleaning behind there cooker is not Work related. But a labourer removing a cooker from its position to perform Work is working and so must be competent to do so.

so unless the labourer is a GSR engineer then he should not touch the appliance. I have come across very simular problems on many mods jobs and no matter how you spell it out to the main contractor you will not stop it as its down to money.

i think there was a tech bulitin about this matter 3-4 years ago, but i cant remember the number.

a job i worked on this year was like this. I even had one property where while i was about to do a tightness test the kitchen fitter dissconnted the cooker hose and when i dropped the test on it had a straight drop. I went into the kitchen and noticed the hose had been removed, i tested the baynett and it was leaking. If i had not have been there the kitchen would have soon filled up with the kitchen fitter working inside. :(

So why worry if someone unplugs the cooker, cleans down the back and plugs it in again. It is not your concern and is allowed in the rules.
Even the biggest halfwit could manage that and if the bayonet passes so what and you know as well as i do, if they were down the back of the cooker with a *** in there mouth it wouldn't even glow.

That reminds me. I must phone the electrician in the morning. My hall bulb has blown :frown:
What a society of dipsticks we have bred who need a written instruction and method statement to do anything and if they get it wrong it is someone else's fault.

Great Britain at what?

We are great at letting in any Tom dick or Harry into Britain and paying for them with our tax money

A flat a fridge a bed and a washing machine and a load of benefits!

I know a guy who divorced his wife 26 years ago and moved in with his ma, lives in a village and put his name on the list for a house. Now a single guy is not top priority for a house but you would think in 26 years he would have moved up the list a bit. He is actually farther down the list than when he first applied but there are half a dozen immigrants moved into the village and got a house. The system is all wrong.

A flat a fridge a bed and a washing machine and a load of benefits!

I know a guy who divorced his wife 26 years ago and moved in with his ma, lives in a village and put his name on the list for a house. Now a single guy is not top priority for a house but you would think in 26 years he would have moved up the list a bit. He is actually farther down the list than when he first applied but there are half a dozen immigrants moved into the village and got a house. The system is all wrong.

Very very wrong tamz remember working in London and saw a lot of immigrants living in Chelsea in top end rented property and they certainly was not paying the rent

you's think anybody told this punter they could clean behind their cooker lol

cant see the gas pipe in these pics for grease , its running at low level right in the corner between the wall and concrete floor . after the tee for the cooker (gas runs r-l) there was a leak, (6mb/2min) wasn t seeing any bubbles from the ldf so i pulled the pipe out from its grease plug , ssssssssss lol pipe corrroded through , only thing holding it together was the grease, tenant goes we ve been smelling gas , asked if they reported it , nah , even though they use the kitchen for smoking in , as well as having the heating programmer in there , bolier and cooker.
got the bit pipe i cut out in the van , take a pic later and post it up, not just a wee pit, proper hole about 3mm dia.

Attachments

• Photo0527.jpg
    Photo0527.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Photo0528.jpg
    Photo0528.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Photo0529.jpg
    Photo0529.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Photo0530.jpg
    Photo0530.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 27
They obviously like a fry up in that house.
Soap and water costs very little. There is no excuse except laziness.

aye they sure do Tam , a few pies as well by the size of em

come accross old dearies who ve worked all their days and kept their cooker spotless for 40-50 years , and i mean spotless , still looks like its brand new and they ve been using it nearly every day and still baking cakes and bread , and yet go into a benefit scroungers place who ve had a brand new cooker of the social less than a year and its caked in grease , the oven doors hanging off , injectors are clogged , bits of the hotplate burners are missing.
i digress but i do love the style of some of the 60s gas appliances, canon gas miser fires will be all the rage oneday i m telling you's , don t be throwing any those in the skip lol

If it only showed on the tightness test and not LDF I would assume its a very small leak and would never reach LEL and its not a case of "He" said it would be alright" Its Gas Safe and the HSE that says its alright.

That said I too recommend that an engineer reconnects as he will also check safety devices and do a tightness check at the meter.

My point was that the housholder or removal man doesnt do any check never mind a tightness test and although its HSE that say its okay the customer will still blame the gas engineer that tells them its okay to carry on. In my case it was a minor leak but whos to say what leak if no checks are done,?

My point was that the housholder or removal man doesnt do any check never mind a tightness test and although its HSE that say its okay the customer will still blame the gas engineer that tells them its okay to carry on. In my case it was a minor leak but whos to say what leak if no checks are done,?

I am on your side mate and I dont think the public sees any difference if they are allowed to disconnect and reconnect to clean behind why not disconnect at your old house and reconnect at your new one?
There are rules in place for everything we do and all we can do is advice best practice to the customer.

Hi may sound daft but just moved into new house and have a gas cooker is it ok just to connect myself

Please register with us and start a new thread to receive answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to disconnecting reconnecting gas cookers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock