Discuss disconnecting reconnecting gas cookers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjgas

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
is it legal for a householder to disconnect a gas cooker bayount to clean behind and to reconnect same cooker

As above it is legal.

However it always confuses/ worries me how a removal man can disconnect a cooker / then transport 300 miles and then reconnect and say it is safe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As above it is legal.

However it always confuses/ worries me how a removal man can disconnect a cooker / then transport 300 miles and then reconnect and say it is safe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i was told he cant he can disconnect but reconnecting requires a gas safe engineer i cant work out why as i feel the chance of a leak are greater when dissing than connecting as without the hose plugged in you have an open end

Last edited:
I've always thought this strange as above. recently installed a cooker and after checking fittings etc. with LDF it was only the tightness test that showed up that the gas cooker bayonet had a slight leak because it had't seated right, a simple problem for me to sort out but how does the householder or removal man know if thats happened because of course they dont do a tightness test.
my advice if asked is always to get a gas safe engineer to do the job properly although it may be legal for them to do it, when theres a problem down the line the customer will say "well he said it would be alright" Blame culture

I've always thought this strange as above. recently installed a cooker and after checking fittings etc. with LDF it was only the tightness test that showed up that the gas cooker bayonet had a slight leak because it had't seated right, a simple problem for me to sort out but how does the householder or removal man know if thats happened because of course they dont do a tightness test.
my advice if asked is always to get a gas safe engineer to do the job properly although it may be legal for them to do it, when theres a problem down the line the customer will say "well he said it would be alright" Blame culture

If it only showed on the tightness test and not LDF I would assume its a very small leak and would never reach LEL and its not a case of "He" said it would be alright" Its Gas Safe and the HSE that says its alright.

That said I too recommend that an engineer reconnects as he will also check safety devices and do a tightness check at the meter.

I used to walk into my grans years ago and say "gran yer pilot light is out. The kitchen is reekin of gas".......oh so it is son open the back door for a minute:lol:

I used to walk into my grans years ago and say "gran yer pilot light is out. The kitchen is reekin of gas".......oh so it is son open the back door for a minute:lol:

I see where you are coming from Tamz mate.
On a personable note, I always work to make things as safe as possible BUT above all I always make sure I am within the latest rules and regs so if anything does happen (God forbid) at least I am covered.
I can stand up in court and say ,I followed the rules.

So why worry if someone unplugs the cooker, cleans down the back and plugs it in again. It is not your concern and is allowed in the rules.
Even the biggest halfwit could manage that and if the bayonet passes so what and you know as well as i do, if they were down the back of the cooker with a *** in there mouth it wouldn't even glow.

That reminds me. I must phone the electrician in the morning. My hall bulb has blown :frown:
What a society of dipsticks we have bred who need a written instruction and method statement to do anything and if they get it wrong it is someone else's fault.

Great Britain at what?

I have come across cases where the bayonet connector is seized and when you disconnect it ****es out.
Joe public may not know what to do in that circumstance.
You are relying on a fitting self sealing and as with everything they can fail.

Im not sure where you are going with your argument. yes it should be fail safe but you and I know its not always.

All I was saying was as a tradesman we have to cover ourselves (why do you think we have to have insurance by law)?

We are not in the job to be friends with people but to carry out a service professionally and my professional opinion is to recommend a GSR does the job.

Would a member of the public know the clearances required, ventilation, safety device checks?
Why stop at cookers, I know a few people that can put a fire in or a boiler, just because they light up does not make them safe.

Don't know what all the fuss is about here. It is quite legal and all above board for a householder to pull out there cooker, disconnect the bayonet, clean behind and then re-connect it to same fitting. End of story!

If the bayonet is passing, then as tamz mentioned it would be unlikely to come to anything if it is re-connected within a short space of time.

As above it is legal.

A removal man cannot transport a gas appliance to another locality and legally re-connect to a new supply.

We are not talking about people fitting cookers or any other appliance. Only unplugging the hose for cleaning purposes. They are allowed to do that under the regs.

Whether or not they are capable of doing it is another matter.

now another question is it legal and safe for labourers who ar ripping out kitchens to disconnect cookers and also kitchen fitters to reconnect the same cooker seeing they are not the house holder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to disconnecting reconnecting gas cookers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock