Search the forum,

Discuss disconnect a back boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ian260281

hello - I have just bought my first house and wish to drain and disconnect the pipes feeding the backboiler as the chimney breast has recently craked and I need to fit a log burner, therefore digging out the backboiler.

there is a drain tap next to the fire breast.

there is a pipe feeding and returning the HW tank.

if i drain the backboiler next to the fire breast, will the pipes fill back up? I can not find a supply?

would i be right in thinking the system is closed loop, or will it have a fresh water supply which i need to turn off?

I was planning on draining the BB then disconnecting the pipes when i dig the old fire breast out - i will then cap the pipes off. I guess i could do this at the HW tank but there is very little space to get in round the back of the tank.

any advice would be very much appreciated

cheers,

Ian

Sounds like it may be a direct system. The same water will go through the boiler as in the cylinder, fed from the cistern in the loft.

there is a cold water tank directly above the HW tank, this feeds the bottom of the HW tank.

I currently heat the water via immersion.

how do i tell if the BB pipes going into the HW tank are open to feed the boiler or a coil of pipe filled with water only from the BB?

cheers,

ian

If you've only got one tank in the loft it's likely that it will be a direct system. If there is no drain cock on the cylinder it's normally a good indication as well, the drain off will be on the back boiler.

so if i drain it at the BB, it will drain the whole HW tank?

best bet is to drain HW tank, turn off cold supply, cap off the two pipes coming out of the HW tank then fill the HW tank back up?

ian

so i will need some blanking caps to do this? is 21mm the standard for HW?

do these fitting work on a taper to create the seal or do i just tighten them up real good?

so if i drain it at the BB, it will drain the whole HW tank?

best bet is to drain HW tank, turn off cold supply, cap off the two pipes coming out of the HW tank then fill the HW tank back up?

ian

Assuming it is a direct system yes. The pipes coming out of the cylinder will normally be 28mm or 1".

The pipes coming out the cylinder will be 22mm or more likely 3/4" as it will have been in a long time

From the sound of it the cylinder is a primatic type where the primary or heating circuit is fed from the cold water tank through a device inside the cylinder which allows water to enter the heating system but maintains the separation between the two. You can get problems with heating and hot water systems mixing if the heating side gets too hot and you get boiling which forces water past the internal air gap.
If you are just capping off the primaries at the cylinder there should be no problem.

From the sound of it the cylinder is a primatic type where the primary or heating circuit is fed from the cold water tank through a device inside the cylinder which allows water to enter the heating system but maintains the separation between the two. You can get problems with heating and hot water systems mixing if the heating side gets too hot and you get boiling which forces water past the internal air gap.
If you are just capping off the primaries at the cylinder there should be no problem.

sounds much more like a fortic tank Fortic F1 if you ask me

sounds more like an old direct cylinder to me typical set up direct cylinder cold water storage take feeds the cylinder and the f and r to the back boiler probably in galvanised steel pipework start draing and youll see the balvale start to fill then you know its that one that needs to be turned of or tied up

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to disconnect a back boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi We have a vented oil-fired heating system with a coal fire back boiler, this is going to be changed to a sealed pressurized system tomorrow and I believe, they are decommissioning the back boiler. I have only discovered today there is no access to the water jacket, so will it be good enough...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a bathroom for a regular customer. She is of old age and is starting to get a little clumsy and her son has asked me to look at the old gas fire/back...
Replies
Views
when I removed the back coal saver I can now see the mental back boiler. I could not see the back boiler when I put the coal saver in place last year . Do I recover the metal back boiler in fire cement or is their something better. The fire cement at the bottom of the photo is where I block...
Replies
Views
L
I can see the small leak in back boiler, have tried all sorts of products to seal it. have drained the radiators but pressure from water in actual and pipes boiler keeping it wet!! any ideas please to seal, its my only heating.
Replies
Views
LyndaB
L
Hi There was no shut off valve on the tank feed to the hot water cylinder, and I needed to move a couple of hot water pipes, so I shut off the mains water, turned boiler off (Remeha avanta) and opened the hot kitchen tap to drain the cylinder. After doing the work etc, Everything up and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock