Discuss Contract work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
So I do quite a bit of work where payment might take 30 days.

I spend money on materials, eg £145 shower today.

How do you deal with this? Just wait or ask for materials costs if over a certain amount.

This month on my visa, as that how I buy everything, so far is just over £1200.

Cheers

What you Ray??!!!

Why don't you stock Bristan showers!!! I needed one today,

I might apply for an account. What if I get rejected? I'll have to cut links with UKPF out of embarrassment!

Why don't you stock Bristan showers!!! I needed one today,

Can't get a competitive price Rocket. No point in us supporting a manufacturer and promoting it to our trade customers when any householder can go online and buy it for more or less the same price we can.

We try to support manufacturers who support trade pricing differentials, so you lot can make a margin without constantly being told "I can get that online for fourpence" :)

Before u start the job rocket ask for cost of materials up front so it's only your wages you need to wait for, and all your materials are paid for, a lot of my customers use online banking so it's handy for a quick transfer ,save waiting for cheques etc

It is one of those things unfortunately, people don't like paying any money upfront so we have to stomach the material cost and hope we get paid. Or as Ray says set up an account with your merchant and then you don't have to pay it right away. As a one man band if you do boiler swaps or bathrooms regularly and you don't have any credit accounts you will probably need a working capital of about 8-10k in your account to allow materials on a few jobs before any payment is received.

Part and parcel of running a business unfortunately. £145 in the scheme of things is not a lot, but cash flow is very important to prevent these kind of arrangements causing to many problems.

For private jobs I get materials up front but not on smaller jobs, no pay no go simple as that. I did a bit of work for a letting agency which was a pain as I don't have, don't want and probably wouldn't get a trade account so I had to stump up the cash to cover it, I had many sleepless nights because of it but they were good payers so I wasn't overly worried it was more finding the money for my other jobs, when it started coming back in it was brilliant.

oh the delights of contract work !!!

dont do it anymore thank god however wait till your 30 days payment is up and you don't get paid , you make the phone call only to find that the employee who deals with pay is on holiday . Oh but thats ok she will be back monday and will process it for your next 30 day payments .

get an understanding merchant imho

oh the delights of contract work !!!

dont do it anymore thank god however wait till your 30 days payment is up and you don't get paid , you make the phone call only to find that the employee who deals with pay is on holiday . Oh but thats ok she will be back monday and will process it for your next 30 day payments .

get an understanding merchant imho

Or hit them with late payment charges as your allowed to they soon pay up then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Contract work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I have a tank Bradford White 50 gallon gas hot water heater for a 1700 sq ft home with 2 1/2 baths, HOWEVER, I am only one person living...
Replies
Views
My central heating is run off a heat pump ( air to water ) quite expensive to run , So I’m plainning to fit a wood burning with a back boiler to...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I keep reading about how you should use a smart thermostat. Set it to the temp to want the home to be and hey presto it takes care of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm really here with the agenda of getting other peoples thoughts on charging deposits. To date I usually charge a third of my labour to...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I've been running an UFH installation/ repair business for 7 years now and one of my main frustrations is finding the parts for the UFH...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock