Search the forum,

Discuss Deposits - your thoughts and what you do as a professional. in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,
I'm really here with the agenda of getting other peoples thoughts on charging deposits. To date I usually charge a third of my labour to hold a date for a customer. I've had no issues until recently where 2 of my prospective clients have tried to negotiate a lower deposit or change the date to 2 weeks before the work is due to start. The reason for the latter is that now I am booking several months in advance, the client feels he does not want to part with the deposit (around £1200) so far in advance . I am pretty firm on how I feel about this but I just wondered if anyone else has had this experience and their feelings on the matter and how you dealt with it.

Half upfront unless it’s materially heavy then all the materials upfront

I agree with your customer. You don’t need the deposit months in advance.
I take it about a month in advance, the exception being when I’m ordering goods with a long lead time in which case I take the full value of goods at time of order.
In reality it a customer pulls out of a job or pushes dates back (hardly ever happens), you are able to pull a job forward to fill the gap.

FWIW - I can see the customers point of view on this one.
Give them a estimated start date and when you're committed 2 weeks out, then ask for the deposit.

I personally wouldn't pay a deposit on anything that was scheduled months away without a confirmed start date.

Mind you, during the 'pandemic', I was ordering materials and equipment for some jobs, 6 months in advance, so the jobs could be completed and finished on time.
But that was only for customers I have had long working relationship with.

Say i was doing a boiler swop.
10% b4 any goods ordered
say 50% when boiler on site / on wall not working.
the rest on completion.

been doing this way for 40 yrs no problem.

Reply to Deposits - your thoughts and what you do as a professional. in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock