Search the forum,

Discuss Capping steel gas pipe buried in concrete in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pauland

Our Gas guy has detected a leak and using a sniffer, the leak seems to come from a section of buried pipe.

This pipe is made from steel and we could probably get by capping off the pipe at or near a "T" junction ( removing the leaking pipe from the buried network ).

The Gas guy has suggested that it's not possible to cut the pipe and then cap it, but we'll need to unscrew the pipe from the T junction and put a cap in place of the pipe.

As you can imagine, access is going to be very tight - I'm wondering if it's even going to be possible to unscrew the pipe at all.

If the pipe cannot be capped off, we have a major job - rerouting gas pipe to the kitchen and living room.

I may end up digging channels in the kitchen floor to allow new pipe to be laid and it's not a task I'm looking forward to.

Anyone managed to cap a pipe in similar circumstances?

(Before anyone asks, I'm up for the donkey work, I'm just trying to make the Gas guy's job as easy as possible ).

I do trust him, it doesn't mean someone has a great idea, or some suggestion that turns a nightmare job into a simpler one.

Our Gas guy has detected a leak and using a sniffer, the leak seems to come from a section of buried pipe.

This pipe is made from steel and we could probably get by capping off the pipe at or near a "T" junction ( removing the leaking pipe from the buried network ).

The Gas guy has suggested that it's not possible to cut the pipe and then cap it, but we'll need to unscrew the pipe from the T junction and put a cap in place of the pipe.

As you can imagine, access is going to be very tight - I'm wondering if it's even going to be possible to unscrew the pipe at all.

If the pipe cannot be capped off, we have a major job - rerouting gas pipe to the kitchen and living room.

I may end up digging channels in the kitchen floor to allow new pipe to be laid and it's not a task I'm looking forward to.

Anyone managed to cap a pipe in similar circumstances?

(Before anyone asks, I'm up for the donkey work, I'm just trying to make the Gas guy's job as easy as possible ).

if he can't get to the T , get him to cut pipe , re thread , then cap

How on earth will you thread onto a buried pipe. Probably easier to cut grind and weld a plate on. But that's just stupid if you can get to a tee and thread in a plug.

How on earth will you thread onto a buried pipe. Probably easier to cut grind and weld a plate on. But that's just stupid if you can get to a tee and thread in a plug.

Theres a thing called digging ,

You need to dig enough out to get a power head on but your average Joe plumber won't have one so best to cut it with a recip unscrew the cut and plug

That's a big hole in a concrete floor. Pipe 40mm down, the the cutter add on another 125mm so u can get in square. Loads of fun.

You need to dig enough out to get a power head on but your average Joe plumber won't have one so best to cut it with a recip unscrew the cut and plug

Tool station sell hand ones ,

Thanks guys for all the comments.

I managed to dig out enough concrete for the gas guy to be able to cut the steel pipe with a reciprocating saw. He then put a blowtorch onto the screw joint at a T junction and much to my surprise he was able to twist out the pipe.

He then capped off the T joint and tested the system for leaks - there were none. He then put in a new section of brass pipe from the T joint, partially below the concrete. He wrapped that in tape.

So, for a job I thought could be a nightmare, it went quite smoothly.

Generally the pipe looked in reasonable shape, but as it moved from the T junction it became quite corroded. I think it's no surprise since the concrete wasn't as dense in one part of the floor and we've had a washing machine and dishwasher in that spot with various spills and thrills.

Anyway, one month from getting the gas cut off, we're warm again.

Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Capping steel gas pipe buried in concrete in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock