Discuss Capping steel gas pipe buried in concrete in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
How on earth will you thread onto a buried pipe. Probably easier to cut grind and weld a plate on. But that's just stupid if you can get to a tee and thread in a plug.
You need to dig enough out to get a power head on but your average Joe plumber won't have one so best to cut it with a recip unscrew the cut and plug

That's a big hole in a concrete floor. Pipe 40mm down, the the cutter add on another 125mm so u can get in square. Loads of fun.

You need to dig enough out to get a power head on but your average Joe plumber won't have one so best to cut it with a recip unscrew the cut and plug

Tool station sell hand ones ,

Thanks guys for all the comments.

I managed to dig out enough concrete for the gas guy to be able to cut the steel pipe with a reciprocating saw. He then put a blowtorch onto the screw joint at a T junction and much to my surprise he was able to twist out the pipe.

He then capped off the T joint and tested the system for leaks - there were none. He then put in a new section of brass pipe from the T joint, partially below the concrete. He wrapped that in tape.

So, for a job I thought could be a nightmare, it went quite smoothly.

Generally the pipe looked in reasonable shape, but as it moved from the T junction it became quite corroded. I think it's no surprise since the concrete wasn't as dense in one part of the floor and we've had a washing machine and dishwasher in that spot with various spills and thrills.

Anyway, one month from getting the gas cut off, we're warm again.

Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Capping steel gas pipe buried in concrete in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys, first post here So I have been boxing in a number of heating pipes that are throughout my garage since the boiler was located there by...
Replies
Views
Morning. I have a leak. It’s coming from the connector pipe….the picture shows the pipe. It is a cold water pipe going in to the back of my...
Replies
Views
We have an old gas pipe in the understairs cupboard. The previous occupants had the gas meter moved, but this old pipe remained. This pipe goes...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi Some people (not plumbers) have advised me that it's not such a good idea to a) Have 4 x 90deg bends in a sewer pipe and b) Encase these pipes...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock