Search the forum,

Discuss Can't get the handle off the tap. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

StephenH

Hi,
I have what I believe is called a Dual Control Deck Mounted Bath Filler tap. It's taps have become stiff to turn on and off. It's handles seem to be push fit - no provision for screw fitting. I think it may be a Pegler Haze tap. I wrote to them and they replied that - 'The handles are snap fit so just a sharp pull upwards to take them off.' Now I've tried this and I've even tried to increase the force by putting a screwdriver under the edge and applying some force like that, but nothing. I wondered if anyone had similar experience with similar taps - apart from the fact I may not be strong enough to do what is required, I'm also very tentative about how much force might be needed. Any advice welcome.

Many thanks

Stephen

Hi Stephen

If you can try and post a picture of the tap unless this is what you tap is

Pegler Haze Deck Bath Filler

There may be a small grub screw under a cover cap at the rear of the tap, or if it is a "clip" on type there may be a buildup of limescale on the spindle meaning it has become stuck fast.

Some lever taps I have tried to service have had the lever stuck so fast I have ended up having to replace the whole tap rather than being able to refirbish it!

Try squirting some WD40 under the handle to free up the connection, other than that it a careful application of loading the handle and pulling it off without unduly damaging the body or handle.

Hope this helps

Russ

Thanks iiplumbing.
That's the model of tap I'm using as reference, though I think mine is an earlier model - the general principle is the same. There is no grub screw at the back, I've had a mirror down there to look.
As it happens, I've just been down to the shop to get some silicon spray to give that a try. If that eases stuff a little I can postpone what might be the inevitable.
Thanks
Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can't get the handle off the tap. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I’ve cleaned the grooves and tightened the grub screw at the bottom, but this tap handle (on the right of the photo) just won’t stay put. When turning the water off it either drops back or comes off. I suspect the problem may be with the screw, which doesn’t seem to move much. How might I get...
Replies
Views
Hi, I know nothing about plumbing 🤦‍♂️ and am trying to sort out a leaking kitchen tap. It's a Franke Davos 'J' Tap. I turned off the water to the sink and took off the screws at the end of the handles (also the spout, although that may not have been necessary). I thought the handles should just...
Replies
Views
I need to replace the washer of my kitchen mixer tap as it is leaking. I was able to remove the spout once by unscrewing the screw on the back of the tap. However now I can't remove it again as it seems I must have used the wrong screw head and have rounded off the head. Please see attached...
Replies
Views
I have been trying to turn off my outside tap for winter. When I turn the valve under the kitchen sink, it fails to stop the outside tap from running. This valve does seem very stiff. I am assuming I have to turn the value clockwise since if I turn it anti-clockwise it actually starts dripping...
Replies
Views
I have a twin control, 2 way diverter and temperature knobs, Noken NK Porcelanosa mixer with really stiff controls. I'm trying to identify replacement valves but.... I can't find any way to remove the knobs. There are no obvious access points for grub screws, no covers or removable radial bars...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock