Discuss Bristan easy fit taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can the insurers or bristan say the Tao was not seated correctly... Sounds like a pony excuse to avoid paying!

If a customer asks me to fit any it would be on the understanding it's there risk after reading this thread!!!

I fitted a set 6 months ago and they blew off yesterday, both grub screws had loosened.
There is a real problem with these and i would not recommend them.

I spoke to Bristan today and they admitted problems with easy fit.

Fitted probably 10 or so of these.. No problems just yet. Although definitely going to make a conscious point of checking the grub screws though!

I've fitted two or three previously that I remember. None for at least 4 months with no problems so far.

But I did fit one this morning but I don't think it was Bristan. But exactly same set up except it had one of those horrible fixing kits that are like a sharp ended pivoting bar instead of the horse-shoe-shaped plate and rubber washer. Customer supplied it. No idea what it was. I will contact them and warn them, can even link them to this thread.

I won't fit another.

Last edited:
I spoke at length to Bristan technical today, they said if the base plate is 180 degrees out then the grub screws don't land in the grooves but it still fits together and will hold for a time.

Later versions appartantly make it idiot proof by having grooves on the other side but I need to see this for myself.

I have fitted 21 Easyfit taps since June 2015 of which 4 have blown off so far, one after 8 months, another after 11 months and another after 13 months. Out of 6 Monzas 3 have failed, and out of 8 Echos 1 has failed. I have also spoken to an installer who has had lots of Manhattans blow off. I have just posted a video to explain the problem to all 21 of my customers and have emailed them my concerns. I thought it was 3 that had blown off, but one of them emailed me right back saying his kitchen was flooded 6 months ago and his insurance plumber had replaced the tap. I was surprised he hadn't called me. Anyway, here's the video. I hope it's helpful:
https://youtu.be/chTGvh-Rsas

Don't see what the problem is tbh just use some loctite thread lock on the grub screws like I do haven't had one pop off

I know you shouldn't have to but it's the days where manufacturers don't think ahead / take responsibility

I was of the same thinking as you Hamish that by supplying my customers with Bristan taps I was fitting a quality product but unfortunately this has not proved to be the case.
My first issues was the ceramic cartridge dripping (not the easy fit range) after about a year, they did send replacement free but said this was a one off, of course I couldn't charge my customer for my time to replace them, then the same problem occurred approximately a year later with the replacement cartridges, my customer requested a different brand which they were willing to pay for but I agreed to fit FOC as I had recommended and supplied the Bristan taps.
In between the previous episodes I fitted some easy fit kitchen mono block taps , which to be honest was anything but easy fit, about three months after that got a phone call from someone that had just had a Easy fit kitchen tap go in to orbit and totally flood her house obviously she and I assumed the plumber that fitted them had not done so properly, but I soon saw the reason why, the grub screws had loosened, so refitted and put a bit of thread lock on but was still worried it could happen again and explained my concern, No charge.
I then contacted my customer where I fitted the easyfit tap to check it remove grub screws and thread lock them, no charge obviously.
Then came on this forum and discovered others had the issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bristan easy fit taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just fitted new cartridge to a 1901 basin tap. Instead of being a quick easy job it took quite some time due to corrosion of the shroud. There...
Replies
Views
P
Hi ,we have been in our house just over a year now and the bristan was already in place so not sure how old it is but; there was a major burst...
Replies
Views
I have read a few threads including one by Debbie Stano that were similar to my issue but that thread stopped a while back without any resolution...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, For those who like a long read but I could rally do with some advice. Might be a bit long this. For background. A...
Replies
Views
Hi I am not sure whether I have posted correctly earlier today, if so please forgive me as I am trying again just in case. I have a sink that...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock