Search the forum,

Discuss Bristan easy fit taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ed209

Just had a call that some easy fit kitchen mono had popped of its base and flooded kitchen, now getting concerned as I fitted some of these for a customer before Christmas also they had a load of Bristain easy fit mono basin taps in PTS about a month ago that they were selling off cheap and I bought one but not fitted yet

Wonder if there's a problem with them

Last edited by a moderator:
theres a problem if you post the same thread everywhere, kill off one mate. Otherwise if you install correctly I wouldnt worry.

That's not so good. Ive fitted a few mixers recently coming with the base section being bolted to the ware and a little grub screw holding the tap in place. I thought it was a silly idea. Not sure the make as the customer supplied them.

Hi Lame
Can't seem to be able to delete my other post only edit how do you do it

Clicked edit no option for delete pressed cancel say you sure you want to disregard message click yes but it doesn't go

After hitting the edit button I have to scroll down, click in the little circle, then click delete.

I'm using Tapatalk on iPhone 6 not so user friendly since latest update, still can't delete and can see no little circle

I am concerned that my local PTS sold them off ridiculous cheap think they were about £15 normally about £65 makes you wonder

I can't say the one I fitted I would describe as "easy fit" took a lot longer than normal but it was my first

The apprentice had the same thing. Popped off and flooded a kitchen. Dunno why unless he didn't install properly.

Going to call or email Bristain see what there response is and if they have had any incidents reported to them

First they know of this happening after a long pause talking to someone else

Heard a rumour that Homeserve were fitting a lot of these but suddenly stopped after loads where just popping off

I thought these bristan easyfit taps were a stupid idea when they first came out and never saw the need. You only have to hold tap tails while doing up the nut at the beginning to stop tap trying to fall over etc when installing. Or on kitchen mono mixers you can remove the spout first on some if you wanted to....Just another o-ring to deteriorate and start leaking.

I work for a big insurance company and switched to the easyfit taps, we've had quite a few blow offs some were installer error most common one is not greasing up the threads before fiting the tap into the base and the other is the tap wasn't seated on the base correctly.

But we had loads that were unexplained. First time I fitted one took me ages now after a couple you really can fly through them in 5mins.

Personally I wouldn't fit one in my house as don't trust them.

Quick update on this thread for any who are interested. One of our installers (who has fitted a fair few kitchen taps) had one fly off within 5 minutes of leaving the customer's property. Tap initially held perfectly fine under mains pressure. Grub screws must have unwound themselves under the pressure as I could see the marks on the metal where he had got the grub screws very tight initially.

Major design issues, the first (and last) easy fit tap we will fit. The design flaw on seeing the tap myself is that the fixing grub screws locate into a bevelled section of the tap. High water pressure pushes the tap upwards causing the grub screws to start to unwind as they move up the bevelled section. Simply changing the design to a milled slot for the grub screws to recess into would sort this issue entirely.

Hopefully Bristan will be covering the repair costs to my customer's new kitchen and goodwill for our reputation damage as she was a referred customer from another one of ours.

Currently in touch with Bristan regarding claiming for damage to the customer's house.

Luckily they blew off as he was about to leave rather than at his next job or their house would have been flooded.

Last edited:
I'm fitting a set today for the first time. Probably shouldn't have read this thread :p

+1 to lock tight fitted 10 non have blown off yet

It think they are pretty pony. Fitted a few sets for a housing association I worked for. One fella on there had a couple of sets pop off. I'm thinking it's more of the installer though.

How can the insurers or bristan say the Tao was not seated correctly... Sounds like a pony excuse to avoid paying!

If a customer asks me to fit any it would be on the understanding it's there risk after reading this thread!!!

I fitted a set 6 months ago and they blew off yesterday, both grub screws had loosened.
There is a real problem with these and i would not recommend them.

I spoke to Bristan today and they admitted problems with easy fit.

Fitted probably 10 or so of these.. No problems just yet. Although definitely going to make a conscious point of checking the grub screws though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bristan easy fit taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock