Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Boiler install at the weekend. Cheapest chemicals and TRV's? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi guys I have a combi swap to do at the weekend (for my landlord). He wants the cheapest of everything, what are the cheapest cleaning chemicals and inhibitor available and also will be using cheapest TRV's I can get. Any recommendations?

Thanks

No Nonsense stuff from Screwfix. Cheaper still if you have a Plumbfix membership. Don't know if it's any good, but it's cheap...

Most merchants do trv and l/s packs and inhibitor/cleaner deals, they can save money sometimes....saying that a lot also do boiler flue chemicals and valves as a bundle.

the plumfix NN chemicals are cheap, look like fernox bottles...... it would be interesting to know who meks them. sentinel chems are quite cheap at screw/plumbfix at the mo also. you can get a trv for about ÂŁ5 from both screwfix and toolstation, probably the cheapest your gunna find.

If you are putting a filter in, magnaclean have a variety of offers of filter packaged with free chemicals.

Our aqueous logic is probably our cheapest, but don't want to post prices in open forum.

Be careful of the very cheapest trvs. We had one recently, also sold by one of the leading *cough* Internet suppliers under a different name. It was touted as a bi-directional valve, but if you put it on an open vent system on the wrong end, it would bang like a privy door when the plague is in town.

Had to take it off the shelf in the end.

Will not be putting in a filter but that sounds like a good deal.

I spoke with a Fernox rep last night who said an "A " Rated condensing boiler could be de-rated to "C/D" within weeks of installation
without the use of a quality inhibitor, due to scale.

I spoke with a Fernox rep last night who said an "A " Rated condensing boiler could be de-rated to "C/D" within weeks of installation

Maybe because he was the fernox rep? :) :) :)

That's interesting and good to know but I doubt my landlord will be interested.

I'd not bother with the trv's and make sure you put a filter in if its to be cost effective.

Surely the saving in heating bills isn't going to off set the cost of all the things that go wrong with the boiler because you don't have a filter to protect it.

Cheap filter screwfix Nonsense looks just like the magna ! dunno if its as good ?.

It has a real short magnet. I haven't fitted one as it looks like tescos own brand of filter with te big no nonsense sticker but I was pulling one apart in plumbfix jut to have a look

I'd not bother with the trv's and make sure you put a filter in if its to be cost effective.

Surely the saving in heating bills isn't going to off set the cost of all the things that go wrong with the boiler because you don't have a filter to protect it.

Somehow central heating managed to last from Roman times to 2005 without magnetic filters. :)

Somehow central heating managed to last from Roman times to 2005 without magnetic filters. :)

But the Romans didn't fit boilers that wasn't built to last so the greedy manufacturers can get a lifetime income out of supplying parts to the tat they sold you in the first place

The Romans were so good at making stuff that the stuff outlasted the Romans.

A modern boiler won't outlast the life of your kids hamster

That's interesting and good to know but I doubt my landlord will be interested.
To be honest you might as well not bother putting most own brand in. If your landlord is that tight that he wants to save ÂŁ4 and risk his heating system then he deserves to have BG come and give him a quote for ÂŁ900 for a powerflush in two years time (give him my number). Not getting personal Army, it just seemed that in my day we cared about the quality of work and products we put in whereas in all walks of life now there is always someone who will do the job cheaper with little or no thought about long term consequences.

If or when the cheap and nasty stuff you buy goes wrong who do you think the tight fisted landlord is going to moan at ? I wouldn't dream of doing it if I was you . Absolute recipe for disaster in my opinion

Cheap filter screwfix Nonsense looks just like the magna ! dunno if its as good ?.

The no nonsense filter is good on the whole. Lacks an air bleed on top and it likes to trap air which is annoying as you have to crack the main lid to release the air. Otherwise just like the magnaclean but with a drain off on the bottom and a shorter magnet on the inside.Half as long I think.

To be honest you might as well not bother putting most own brand in.

Could you expand on that from a technical point of view?

I am no chemist, but I did spend quite a lot of time trying to understand what the active ingredients in inhibitors and cleaners were, and what was in the cheaper alternatives, and where (if anywhere) the corners were being cut on the cheaper brands.

As far as I can tell, Aqueous Logic aren't cutting any corners in their chemistry, but they spend very little on sales and marketing. Its interesting to note that some of their technology is now licenced by one of the brand leaders

If you have some technical knowledge that would shed any light on this, I would love to hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler install at the weekend. Cheapest chemicals and TRV's? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock