Discuss better control overcentral heating (including Kitchen under floor heating) (BRISTOL) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Halligat1

Boiler make and model: Worcester Greenstar 28i Junior (this has the old style mechanical timer (new))

Central heating thermostat make and model: DT92E Wireless Digital Thermostat

Under floor heating (kitchen) thermostat make and model: Siemens RCU10

Issue: would like better control over heating (especially kitchen under floor heating)

Kitchen: has the above electromechanical thermostat, with 2 wires (L and N). Main issue is control......ie; if current temperature is 12c and required temperature is set to 19c.....this will activate the ZONE VALVE to on (you can hear it and it starts to warm up). Boiler is set to timed control ie; on from 06:00hrs - 07:30hrs ......and 16:40hrs - 22:00hrs.

Q. Why should the ZONE VALVE be OPEN (ie; from 22.00hrs to 06.00hrs, using electricity when not needed (I guess the cost would be minimal) but more importantly i believe will reduce the life expectancy of the valve.

Q. On a few occasions I have also found where the temperature has been met on the thermostat, the ZONE VALVE makes a racket (loud humming / rattling noise valve doesn’t appear to be a branded make like the central heating valve which is a honeywell) once I adjust the thermostat to a temperature below whats been registered on the thermostat the 'click' is heard and the valve stops (so CLOSED).....is this a fault with the thermostat or valve?

I'm trying to get my head around the best way a central heating system should work (I know every home is different) is it best to have the heating come on several times a day. At the moment our main headache is the under floor heating for the kitchen, is there a better solution?

Note: our kitchen is open plan to the downstairs dining room/living room (we are considering installing a door to keep the kitchen separate from these two rooms)
Note: apprx one year ago we had an issue with the thermostat in the kitchen which was a ( 3 wired) drayton model (when the thermostat switch went to CALL this then tripped out the electric consumer unit), plumber visited and changed it for above Siemens version which didn’t make any difference, to cut a long story short we had an electrician visit who found one of the wires was shorting, he was able to use one of the other wires available instead of re installing a new cable which would have been a headache….hence we now only have 2 wires….phewwwwww….sorry to go on here !!!!!!!

any advice or pointers would be very much appreciated.

cheers
Tony

Re: better control overcentral heating (including Kitchen under floor heating) (BRIST

As I am new to 'Forums' and not seen any replies I'm not sure if I have added too much info so I have cut down my query to below (Kitchen underfloor heating and thermostat)...

Boiler make and model: Worcester Greenstar 28i Junior (with manual mechanical timer NEW)

Central heating thermostat make and model: Honeywell DT92E Wireless Digital Thermostat with RF

Under floor heating thermostat make and model: Siemens RCU10 (2 wires only)

Issue: would like better control over kitchen under floor heating

Kitchen: has the above electromechanical thermostat, with 2 wires (L and N). Main issue is control......ie; if current temperature is 12c and required temperature is set to 19c.....this will activate the ZONE VALVE to on (you can hear it and it starts to warm up). Boiler is set to timed control ie; on from 06:00hrs - 07:30hrs ......and 16:40hrs - 22:00hrs.

Q. Why should the ZONE VALVE be OPEN (ie; from 22.00hrs to 06.00hrs, using electricity when not needed (I guess the cost would be minimal) but more importantly i believe will reduce the life expectancy of the valve.

Q. On a few occasions I have also found where the temperature has been met on the thermostat, the ZONE VALVE makes a racket (loud humming / rattling noise valve doesn’t appear to be a branded make like the central heating valve which is a honeywell) once I adjust the thermostat to a temperature below whats been registered on the thermostat the 'click' is heard and the valve stops (so CLOSED).....is this a fault with the thermostat or valve?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: better control overcentral heating (including Kitchen under floor heating) (BRIST

The zone valve should not open unless both time AND temperature are calling for heat. I'd advise you to have someone experienced in controls wiring to check your setup.

Post here:

[DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

I'm sure we have members in or near Bristol

Thanks for the update Masood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to better control overcentral heating (including Kitchen under floor heating) (BRISTOL) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I'm considering having my heating system controlled by Honeywell Evohome. I have a question about the underfloor heating controller...
Replies
Views
Afternoon Fellas If anyone has time to help with this snag it'd be much appreciated. We have a wet-floor system controlled by John Guest UH3 and...
Replies
Views
I'm attending a wet underfloor heating system, it's an old one ..No flow meters, just adjustable valves on the returns with conventional...
Replies
Views
the majority of my radiators have thermostatic valves. Some of these work fine but some of them dont let you adjust the temp. ie. Setting one...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock