Search the forum,

Discuss Baxi 100 HE overheats and melts heat exchanger - an explanation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
as this post states only noticed the burner panel lifting on full hw max gas rate as stated by thread starter one to watch for - this customer was lucky from what the thread says the heat ex could melt .

These are brilliant photos. Thanks to Buckley Plumb. I wish we could find more examples and then I would be willing to go back to my MP. In fact I may just do that anyway. I know there are other boilers out there that are much worse. This is not too different from the one I encountered in 2010 which finally made me think about what was happening. I mean, would you look at that burner and think there was anything wrong with it? Probably not. Clearly a really hot flame has come from, presumably, the burner. But then there is the dilemma of how could that happen? Once it is explained that the glue of the ceramic gives way and allows the ceramic to lift and create a big gap around its edge, then the downwards flame becomes a realistic proposition.

The Sherlock Holmes - type mystery is then put in place by the ceramic settling back into the burner base making it look perfectly OK. And once it has cooled the ceramic will be secure and not give any clues that it is faulty. The one I saw in 2008 had a totally melted heat exchanger but the burner looked just the same as above. I didn't take a photo ... aarrrgggh!

I actually think this boiler would work perfectly well if this fault did not exist. Ok, the trap would be a pain; but there would be none of the lock-out or overheating issues. I have replaced burners on a couple of these and they are running fine. I have a note when the third anniversary is due, and the customers are happy to pay for new burners as I have recommended.

Actually I think BPs customer was lucky because this boiler could easily kill. It could start a fire as easily as can be. There may already have been incidents. A full-blown fire would destroy the boiler though and effectively destroy the evidence that shows how the fire started. Baxi are fully aware of this issue now because I have told them. They know however that any fire would destroy the evidence that would otherwise condemn the boiler. The only way we can make the authorities take notice is to find more pictures and installers who would be willing to tell their story.

Right, now we've non verified gsr's joining in on this. I've been uneasy about where this thread was and letting it ride but enough's enough.

Moving to the private forum.

There's a few of these on my patch, I've changed 3 burners so far I think. I'm just waiting for the next one to go.

I have re system boiler at the new house , boiler does not responded to thermostat knob and only cuts out on the high limit ..... thermistor reads 2.6 k ohms
high limit stats are on 0.5 ohms .... Burner pressure is 18.5 mbar
any one experienced this ?

I have re system boiler at the new house , boiler does not responded to thermostat knob and only cuts out on the high limit ..... thermistor reads 2.6 k ohms
high limit stats are on 0.5 ohms .... Burner pressure is 18.5 mbar
any one experienced this ?

Have you checked the inner door seals? The red seal crumbles away and the fan limit stat trips, throwing the over heat light. The boiler might not actually be getting that hot for the control knob to work.

Have you checked the inner door seals? The red seal crumbles away and the fan limit stat trips, throwing the over heat light. The boiler might not actually be getting that hot for the control knob to work.
in worse case the burner can lift causing melt down

I have cheked all burner seals and they are good . CO is 15ppm and ratio 0,0002
the problem I had was exp vessel lost pressure and I pumped it up and had a air lock in hex ..... All running smooth now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Baxi 100 HE overheats and melts heat exchanger - an explanation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock