Search the forum,

Discuss Basin fixing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dannyparty92

Hi all, can I use plasterboard fixings on a stud partition wall to fix a basin? I said it would be better if there was some timber to fix to but customer doesn't want the hassle of ripping board of and fixing timbers. Thank you

Unless it comes with a proper wall fixing bracket for wall hung basin, then I wouldn't advise using plasterboard fixings. A plywood section behind the plasterboard is the strongest option. Tell your customer that if he wants it done right so that it doesn't fall off the wall, that it has to be done this way. If not, I'd refuse the job, don't want it coming back on me after telling the customer how to do it properly.

Armitage Shanks S915067 NA Wash Basin Concealed Bracket Assembly

No problem if it's on a pedestal, just remind the customer not to swing on it.

if your gentel you could cut the board and get a small bit of timber in.

if not use spring loaded toggles and half a tube of stick like a-good-en.

Is that bracket only for commercial Portman basins?
Not sure if it works very well in a household environment.
would be better to do a little tricky keyhole stuff. Mark the outline of the basin on the wall and slide bits of 9mm ply into slots in the plasterboard within the marks. Hold the ply in place with screws through the plaster board and either fill over the screw holes or put a small tiled splash back above basin. Tricky but can be done with a bit of patience

If it's on a pedestal, then using good fixings will support it. I hate silicone on the back of a basin as it makes it difficult to remove.

These are my favourite PB fixings and are very strong. Use a 8mm drill bit and put a blob of silicone in the hole to strengthen it:
Fischer Plasterboard Plugs HDF 4mm (8ga) Pack of 100 | NoLinkingToThis

Hi all, can I use plasterboard fixings on a stud partition wall to fix a basin? I said it would be better if there was some timber to fix to but customer doesn't want the hassle of ripping board of and fixing timbers. Thank you

I expect the customer wont want a flood at xmas when the kids hang off the basin to brush their teeth! Do it well or not at all is my motto, if you slide in a noggin basin covers most of it and plaster is easy to make good

They fit most small cloakroom sized basins. The OP didn't give much information in his first post.
I had only used them on Portmans before. Fitted literally hundreds of them at the Torness workers camp about 30 years ago. Don't think I have touched one since

I think il go for the twist in plasterboard fixings and silicone. Thanks everyone

Infact I don't know what I'm thinking. Im just gunner cut some board out and fix a horizontal stud and fix to that.

A couple of 6" frame fix screws and screw it to a bit plywood in the next room.
Tell him he can paint it.

Either that or silicon and a couple of screws into the gyproc to hold it level until it sets. It will never move after it cures.
Don't worry about having to take it off again. It is highly unlikely to be your problem 10 years + down the line.

I would tile (splashback that is) first and would use plastic plasterboard plugs on the tile.
If you wonna do a better job - put a wooden support in the wall, tile and use fisher bolts.

Last edited:
i tend to use good plasterboard fixings, not the screw in ones, and scratch the paint behing the basin off with a stanley blade, and put loads of silacone behint it, id rather it grip to the pink finish than the paint!

Spring toggles for me as they are really solid!

I hate it when people stick basins to the wall with silicon cause I am usually the 'poor get' who has to take the bloody thing off again . . . . .

That's a recourse for 'Bodge the Builder' not a plumber. Our job is to make it easy to remove/service for the next poor sod who comes along . . .

I had a basin that someone had grip-filled to the wall!!!

Wasn't much wall left once I had the pesky thing away . . . .

Fischer fixings are great, use them on all work where i can except for the basin fixing where i have used the toggles. I used toggles on the towl rad, would have used for basins but the screw heads are not accessible so i use hex bolts and heavy duty rawl plugs.

It's on a pedestal but I want piece of mind.

Spring loaded toggle types are best IMO, remember to silicon well around them to stop water ingress though, I went to one the other week it was grouted and silcone'd inn. I told the customer he'd need a new basin and it did'nt come out!! He informed me was only there at weekend so not really bothered will just retile over the existing tiles and tile up to it!!! I left without doing much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Basin fixing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock