Search the forum,

Discuss Basic problems from an inexperienced new plumber - advice needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smudger

Hi guys. Just fitted a bathroom (refit old one unfortunately) and I'm having a copuple of problems.
The bath is very close to floor with steel legs & no adjustment possible. It is an internal soil so I think I need a minimum of 50mm trap. The problem is that when I use a 50mm trap the seal level is above the plug level so bath does not drain. A shallow trap only gives 19mm so not right. Also it has old copper (28mm) overflow so struggled to get fitting. Overcame by lifting bath and making fitting from several traps. Now works really well but bath is now about 600mm. Concerned that customer may have problems when wants to get new bath. What would you guys have done?
Also, I have built a case and fitted concealed cistern, all fine. But I am struggling to get a watertight seal where the pipe comes out of the base of cistern. I think its that the rubber washer doesn't fully seal between pipe and siphon base. Its as tight as I can get it by hand but worried I might thread it if I get a wrench on it. I sure this is something that comes with experience (hence why I really wanted to work for someone for a couple of years!!) Any advice would really help, as I can't box in cistern until 100% its watertight.

A bit of a bugger to seal that cistern pipe sometimes. Take apart and make sure the rubber olive is seated correctly.

With old ones I have even used silicon and lsx to seal, as they are a constant problem. Try ptfe tape under the rubber olive. If it still leaks then maybe silcon or lsx is the way to go. Make sure to use a decent amount though . . .

PTFE on rubber washer on flush pipe, nip it up with footprints.

Also I hear what you're saying about the shallow trap but I've seen plenty fitted with no siphonage problems. The only alternative is cut through the floor to accept the depth of trap or a hepVo valve.

I decline to fit old bathroom suites. Far, far too much trouble and it sents alarm bells ringing, if the custard is too tight to buy a new suite they're going to be a pain to stump up.

Great advice, I'm certain the problem is the rubber washer is not quite seating. I gave it another tweak today, I think it's done it but I check if its dripped overnight. If so I'll bung some PTFE on it. In future I'll have to be much more assertive about not re-using old stuff. It's added about a day's labour trying to sort out hassles caused by trying to save the guy some money (wouldn't mind but on a price). I'm just too soft really! It's all good learning though, what is it they say.."What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!"
Thanks for the support guys, really appreciated.

Never resue old components - insist on it.

Tell them that it will cost them more if the old fitting leaks

old fitting will always cause you grief - particually if you reuse washers, olives and the like . . .

best thing for dodgy flush seals is plumbers mait just roll a sausage of it and wrap it round and mould it into the fins works every time
i find silicon whilst still wet acts as a lube and allows the bung to pop out if you have to use silicon its best to silicon the bung into the pan and leave to set for 24hours then insert pipe

Hi guys. Just fitted a bathroom (refit old one unfortunately) and I'm having a copuple of problems.
The bath is very close to floor with steel legs & no adjustment possible. It is an internal soil so I think I need a minimum of 50mm trap. The problem is that when I use a 50mm trap the seal level is above the plug level so bath does not drain. A shallow trap only gives 19mm so not right. Also it has old copper (28mm) overflow so struggled to get fitting. Overcame by lifting bath and making fitting from several traps. Now works really well but bath is now about 600mm. Concerned that customer may have problems when wants to get new bath. What would you guys have done?
Also, I have built a case and fitted concealed cistern, all fine. But I am struggling to get a watertight seal where the pipe comes out of the base of cistern. I think its that the rubber washer doesn't fully seal between pipe and siphon base. Its as tight as I can get it by hand but worried I might thread it if I get a wrench on it. I sure this is something that comes with experience (hence why I really wanted to work for someone for a couple of years!!) Any advice would really help, as I can't box in cistern until 100% its watertight.

just a bit confused mate,why did you use the 28mm overflow they are part of the combined waste and overflow

Maybe my inexperience Gasman but it's not a combined waste. It's an old steel bath with separate overflow (length of 28mm copper sticking out of back of bath). Anyway found a solution that works and customer is happy with it. Its in now and much too late change. Thanks for the response though. Always appreciated. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Basic problems from an inexperienced new plumber - advice needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock