Search the forum,

Discuss Any tips for measuring off-set needed in awkward bath tap changes? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
When re-piping (perhaps to replace contorted fleximagigs)

I find you can never view your measuring from an angle that gives you any accuracy. Perhaps some system involving pipe cleaners and bits of string.

Thank you brothers, sisters, comrades and boyfriends.

Sorry WT, I never measure, all by eye. Once saw somebody use a bit of hosepipe.

I hand tighten a Cu tap connector to the bath tap & push a straight piece of copper pipe that is plenty long into it, keeping the pipe not under strain. Just measure the back to back width, ( or the easier from nearest side width & add pipe width ) but take note of the slight angle the tap threads often has. Once bent, try it in before you remove all to solder. Usually very accurate.

You could make up a tool that would help you measure. A semi-rigid piece of wire inside a hosepipe. Shape it acccordingly and the shape will be maintained when you remove it from under the bath.

Similar to the flexible goosenecks you see on some tools/mini-tripods etc.

Edit: I remember these graph drawing flexible rulers from school. May also do the job:

http://www.ryman.co.uk/1342768199/H...-9565-6fc82074fe86&istItemId=pxxriqw&istBid=t

Last edited by a moderator:
Just look at it and think ...... about 3 " will do it :lol:
or
as Best said.

Screwfix catalogue, page 479 items at bottom right.

Look crap when fitted but what I use to form a template of the bends Required.

Can then pull bends with a degree accuracy.

Eyes past use by date so can't rely on them.

Be gentle with it and it will last, mines currently on year four.

Im with Simon and Tamz WT look at it gauge what u need you get a sick sense for how much to do after quite a few years, u given up with the flexis then:teeth_smile:

If you really can't measure it, use one of those bendy ties. Local Poundshop sell them in packs. You can always tie yourself in knots afterwards when you look at all that scrap copper you've made! LOL

Good on you for not taking the easy way out and using another flexi.

another option is to use an offcut of leccy cable. 6mm or 10mm will do to hold the shape.

Not what I was asking, but good link! A thorough explanation. Have saved it.

I hand tighten a Cu tap connector to the bath tap & push a straight piece of copper pipe that is plenty long into it, keeping the pipe not under strain. Just measure the back to back width, ( or the easier from nearest side width & add pipe width ) but take note of the slight angle the tap threads often has. Once bent, try it in before you remove all to solder. Usually very accurate.

Thanks, that sounds the best - albeit still quite tricky - way.

Edit: I remember these graph drawing flexible rulers from school. May also do the job:

Helix Flexi Curve Ruler - Maths Sets & Rulers - Ryman

That looks pretty good actually, thanks.

Screwfix catalogue, page 479 items at bottom right.

Look crap when fitted but what I use to form a template of the bends Required.

Can then pull bends with a degree accuracy.

Eyes past use by date so can't rely on them.

Be gentle with it and it will last, mines currently on year four.

Any idea what the name is? I chuck the catalouges cos when I buy from them I usually do it online.

Im with Simon and Tamz WT look at it gauge what u need you get a sick sense for how much to do after quite a few years, u given up with the flexis then:teeth_smile:

Yeah I do try and I have gotten better but scrapping 8 inch bits of 22mm gets me growling.

If you really can't measure it, use one of those bendy ties. Local Poundshop sell them in packs. You can always tie yourself in knots afterwards when you look at all that scrap copper you've made! LOL

Good on you for not taking the easy way out and using another flexi.

another option is to use an offcut of leccy cable. 6mm or 10mm will do to hold the shape.

Thanks System and Steve, both good ideas.

Screwfix call them flexible plumbing sticks.

Catalogue number 61598 is 15 x 15 x 300mm.

Just use a flexi waste and you're good to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

i can never understand why people try and bring services up under the taps .On new work i alway bring the services up 3 inchs in from the end and 3inches in from side of bath about 2 inches apart then make the tap cons onto two pulled bends of different lengths and use two elbows to connect where you can get to them saves wasting copper and reaching under to much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Any tips for measuring off-set needed in awkward bath tap changes? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Don't laugh... (too much) We have a white mixer tap (20yrs old now) it needs replacing and I bought a very similar one yesterday.. it came with the flexible hoses as you'd expect but most don't seem to like.. anyway looking at it I couldn't see how it was piped in the first place. .all soldered...
Replies
Views
M
Hi All, First post but I've been reading a few threads on here and love the honest, and sometimes much needed, blunt advice. I hope you can advise... First off I'm not a plumber (I know, I know) but need to reroute some existing copper water pipes (currently a mixture of 15mm cold and a short...
Replies
Views
MarkR
M
I've done a few and they seem to involve quite a lot of nonsense before you start work. Measure the sink, measure the work surface around it and how much more you could edge into if need be. Measure as best you can the existing cut-out size from underneath. Measure width and depth of bowl(s) and...
Replies
Views
secret squirrel
S
There are a lot of brickbats thrown at the Plumbing Trade and very few bouquets. So with the Mod's permission I hope to address that in a small way, if I am out of order please feel free to edit this tread. Having used the same plumber for the last 25 years I was somewhat upset to find...
Replies
Views
migoplumber
M
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock