Search the forum,

Discuss Angle grinder advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Dear Friends

I need to get some rusted wing nuts of my my mums elderley friends toilet, they are stuck fast!

I am looking at angle grinders, don't want to break the bank!!

I prefer cordless if they are powerful enough.

Looking at 18v?

Ryobi One + Cordless CAG-180MG 18 Volt Green Cordless Angle Grinder (Naked)

Any advice, never owned one before.

Want it to cut through screws etc. Nothing too thick, but want it to be effective, need to buy tomorrow.

Look forward to your replies.

Cheers all

Rocket

Or what about a cheapie from screwfix with power cord? from £17 odd?

I have no ideas!

Forget the cheapies. Forget the cordless, not enough power imho. I have a makita £50, spot on.

WD40 tried it, about 30 years of rust! surprised they just haven't coroded away.

Tried everything, won't budge!

Cant get access to hacksaw as too tight.

do you know anybody who has a fein or bosch or similar multitool you could borrow? can you get to the shank to cut it off short then use a socket set to get the nuts off?

I can't get the blade under the wing nut, never seen it like this!

The bolts that hold the cistern are just as bad.

Feel sorry for her and no one I knwo has one I can borrow thats why I think buy a cheap £25 i'sh one and use that, help her out.

MMM......

rocket have a look on b&q site they have a macallister multi tool for £45 which will do the job and then you will have it for other jobs in the future

I think (and done this before) hacksaw, my multi tool was causing too much vibration and was worried about cistern. Use a hacksaw to go between the cistern and pan, you can buy a handle for the blades if the nut is too far in towards the syphon.

Trouble is buying tools that your only going to use once.

Anyone you know got a dremel

Last edited by a moderator:
At work we use the Makitas and you can't fault them the amount of abuse they take spot on if it's what you need.
But from what you said I picked one up from halfords for £18 240v came with a few disks for doing bits on my cars to save having to bring transformers and 110v leads home. It works fine plenty of power came with a spare set of brushes it's a little bigger then more expensive ones but does the job and it didn't feel too cheap. It's still going so maybe worth a look it was a few months back but I assume they still stock it or similar.

Or you can get a spanner on the wing nut. I find it moves or snaps. If that fails then its grinder time. About time these were mad of stainless.

Hello Steve

Just looking now, I think I'll buy tomorrow, I am sure I'll use it again.

Cheers for this and everyone for assistance again.

they do come in handy for loads of different things and that is a good offer

how about one of these?
[h=1]Bosch Bi-Metal Plunge Cutting Blade[/h]EAN: 3165140523349
Only £8.98

From B&Q

i have all makita tools and i have the makita 18v lxt grinder

one of the best tools ive ever bought

use it to cut copper, cut flues, remove old pipework, remove cisterns, cut absolutly everything

10/10 imo

I'd use a dremmel with a small cutting blade in this instance. They're great for cutting things out in small spaces.

The only tool's you need for cutting through a rusted c/c kit is a hacksaw and perseverance!

never failed with a hacksaw either cut halfway though the bolt and snap off with your grips or cut though the wing nut and prise off

Ever noticed that mostly the first one come's off not too bad but the second wing nut is an absolute nightmare!

Or it is even worse when the wc is very close to the wall and you cannot get in about properly! Worship The 2-part syphon!!!!

WD40 tried it, about 30 years of rust! surprised they just haven't coroded away.

Tried everything, won't budge!

Cant get access to hacksaw as too tight.
unscrew both cistern & pan. lift both out together, turn them both upsidedown and you'll have all the room you need to cut bolts with your hacksaw.

never had to use an angle grinder on cistern bolts, always managed with hacksaw either junior or my home made racing cut down junior or just a blade from a large hacksaw

Or do what the boy from my last job did, just raise the water level and tell the tenant that it is fixed then muggin's here is back to fix it properly two day's later!

Its amazing how years of old peoples pee splashes corrode those bolts. I bet the floor boards both sides of the pan are also rotted. :goofy:

I think i have changed around 8 or 9 c/c syphon's in the past fortnight in roughly the same area and all have been the same model cistern and about 5-6 year old! Must have been a contract on at the time, amazing how they all go at the same time!!

never had to use an angle grinder on cistern bolts, always managed with hacksaw either junior or my home made racing cut down junior or just a blade from a large hacksaw

But then you haven't got an excuse to buy a new toy, sorry I mean another useful tool.

Use a taste of silicone grease or Vaseline on the steel bolts & they won't ever rust & seize up.

Dremel is the best tool for this job.

Has been discussed before on numerous threads.

never failed with a hacksaw either cut halfway though the bolt and snap off with your grips or cut though the wing nut and prise off

im with you on this one god knows how some of these plumber would have managed 25 years ago when there were few power tools around
if you have a tool for every job your going to come across in this game youll need an artic not a van
by the time youve gone to the van got the angle grinder and run a lead in it would be done

Last edited:
Angle grinders are great, the bigger the better, though i think i preferred my fingers and eye (don't forget gloves and goggles)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Angle grinder advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock