Discuss advice needed please (to ba a plumber) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Web address for blog changed...

I did a fast-track course and went self-employed straight away. I have just completed my second year as self employed.

When I researched courses at the time I found it very hard to find anything from somebody who had done a course. So I kept a blog: Should you do the training course..? make your own mind up...

It's been an interesting two years.

hi again guys, been away researching this career cahange and spent hours reading through these forums, i should have done this before posting, anyway..

can anyone recommend college courses around central scotland that do courses?
is it possible to get full time college course? i would like to be armed with some basic knowledge and a certificate before i approach employers..

im keeping the OLCI course as a last resort, for the record i dont really agree with fast track courses either, i worked as a roofer for a while and working on the job taught me more than college.

my aim is to one day be fitting full central heating systems / bathrooms / solar systems etc basically everything..

and im not in it for the money, i just want a job that is more suited to me and make enough to get by

cheers for the advice so far
OLCI can do the mechanical training as well as the theory and the practical and theory exams. You do get City & Guilds qualifications. It all depends on where you are with your life and can you afford to be on a course for the next year? I couldn't, the government is crucifying employers so getting an apprenticeship could be very hard.
I did this route but learn't all the practical on my own, and then did all the exams, but bear in mind I have done things like stripping and rebuilding engines. Not that I was working in a garage just the job that needed doing. The money you earn depends on what price you want to tell the customer. The first 6 months will be quiet but stick with it.:D

Oilman - thanks for the encouragement.. Right now I plan to save for a few months and make sure I make the right decision and take the right route..

If you dint mind me asking, how long have you been out of training? Can you get to level 3 with OLCI on your own? And do you make enough money to have a comfortable life?

The worst thing would be going through the training and having to go back to my current job.. I know this has happened to loads of people.

Cheers again everyone

I was in a similar position and age to you Sandy 2-3 years ago, I did a short course to learn the absolute basics (didn't care really about the cert), I went self employed straight away (in a reccession and a saturated market) and now I'm very busy working flat out, today (Easter Sunday) is the first proper day off I've have for months!

:) Go for it, you have to be good though and you have to be prepared for some very very stressful situations but its overall very rewarding.

I was in a similar position and age to you Sandy 2-3 years ago, I did a short course to learn the absolute basics (didn't care really about the cert), I went self employed straight away (in a reccession and a saturated market) and now I'm very busy working flat out, today (Easter Sunday) is the first proper day off I've have for months!

:) Go for it, you have to be good though and you have to be prepared for some very very stressful situations but its overall very rewarding.

What course was it?

Phil - that's what I like to hear, what sort of jobs do you do typicaly?

Olci are offering a free renewables course if you sign up for their 6129 course.. I recon they would probably throw in a few more free courses if pressed..

Phil - that's what I like to hear, what sort of jobs do you do typicaly?

Olci are offering a free renewables course if you sign up for their 6129 course.. I recon they would probably throw in a few more free courses if pressed..

The trade has come under alot of stick for sending half skilled people out into the workforce and them presuming they are fully qualificed. That is why the loop is being closed and the 6129 shut down. I know its tempting to do a short half skilled course then go out and buy a van but most complaints have led the sector skills council to look at this and think 'hey we must stop this'.

Fuzzy- I know this and I agree with it, but I have no other feasable option if I want to be a plumber... I realise I need to do the course before the 6129 is abolished..

I am cinfident I can do a good job and become a good plumber

Fuzzy- I know this and I agree with it, but I have no other feasable option if I want to be a plumber... I realise I need to do the course before the 6129 is abolished..

I am cinfident I can do a good job and become a good plumber

but remember that the 6129 isnt recognised as a full qual, good luck all the same

I hope to get the full nvq by recording my work.. I should hopefully be allowed to do this, I plan on calling c&g to get the low down on the changeover

the change over will probably be this summer. if you have a 6129 there should ebe a bridginf module of someking if you wanna upgrade to the full nvq. if no 6129 then its a full nvq or diploma from the get go.

remember there will be no funding about so you will have to dig deep. my guess is around 4/5k at a college for an nvq2, bout the same for a 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to advice needed please (to ba a plumber) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock