Search the forum,

Discuss NVQ going? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

russell43

Hi,
I'm 46 years old from a sales/retail background. Been doing C&G 6129 L2 at a local college since sept at my own cost. This is a 2 year course but am doing 2 exams at a time to speed things along. I hope to be able to become self employed as soon as I can (who would employ me at my age?) However the nvq assesor mentioned last week that unless i register for the current nvq by dec 31st (£1100) i'll be unable to become a qualified plumber, because that a new qualification is imminent which by the sound of it is purely aimed at young apprentices. Am I wasting my time trying to re-train myself? I dont have £1100 spare, hence why i'm trying to prep myself for when things pick up.
I would appreciate any comments
R

I heard of this earlier this year. When I first heard of this it was supposed to be starting Sept 2010 but it didn't and I can't quite remember why, something about either the colleges couldn't get it planned in the time given or C&G couldn't get their act together in time, something like that, but the story was the focus was gonna be on apprentices only, no re-trainers.
Interesting as I know someone who finished college recently and 90 percent of the kids on the plumbing course didn't have apprenticeships as they are rare as rocking horse droppings so god knows why or how they got on the course 'cos none of them had a hope of going on to do the NVQ. If it were me I'd find the £1100 and get it done. Don't know where you are based but believe it or not some of the private colleges are funded for it and as such don't charge for it. Check out some of them in your area.

Yes the new qualification should have been available 18 months ago but they wanted to get it right and therefore the 6129 & 6089 have been extended.

Now the new qualification is almost ready and Colleges will be running the NVQ Diploma from Sep 2011. There should be a option to upgrade your 6129 to the new diploma so you shouldnt have wasted your 6129 training.

As for full time students there is no plumbing qualification unless your an apprentice, of which there is no age barrier.
There has been a compromise and summitskills who design the course have developed a level 1 building services (2000 series) pre appenticeship programme that can be done without employment. This is available for school leavers and adults. I did post some time ago asking for peoples comments on this as a viable option. I think its a good idea but only gives people the most basic skills, if you understand that and are happy to do the training then fine. If you think you will be a qualified plumber, electrician, H&V or refridgeration engineer then you are mistaken and/or misguided.

Thanks for replies guys.
Decided to bite the bullet and register for the nvq while i can. Will have to bang it on credit card and pay it off :(
In Taunton btw
R

Got a similar problem in full time employment 6129 level 2 finishes in Jan 2011 will i be able to continue or am i waisting my time. Never thought it would be so difficult getting a trade but hopfully will be worth it in the long term. Just want a extra string to my bow incase something happens and dont want all my eggs in the same basket.

Got a similar problem in full time employment 6129 level 2 finishes in Jan 2011 will i be able to continue or am i waisting my time. Never thought it would be so difficult getting a trade but hopfully will be worth it in the long term. Just want a extra string to my bow incase something happens and dont want all my eggs in the same basket.

the 6129 does not finish in jan 2011, the registration for the 6129 does, or did this has been extended to March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to NVQ going? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock