Search the forum,

Discuss Help!! Where do I start?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JaimeT

Can anyone give me some advice on where to start :confused:

I am a 30 year old girl and I'm looking to start a new career in plumbing. I work full time shifts as cabin crew and can't afford to give up work to do a college course, as I work different days/times night school is also a bit tricky. I have looked at a few different training courses like train4trade and Trade qualified but not sure if these are a con or not or give you the right qualifications? Im not looking for a fast track, easy way in course. I'm willing to work hard and for as long as it takes.

Any suggestions??

hi welcome to the forum.

i wish i was on cabin crew wages jetting of all over and free flights.lol.

Haha are you a plumber, do you want to swap jobs?? Its definately not the glamerous job its made out to b..

truth is ÂŁ22k p.a on the books working for a firm is a good wage.
&
i would rather swap a van full of copper scrap at the end of the year for a nice trip to u.s free.

Hi JaimeT,

I would say that if you have a secure job that you enjoy, now may not be the best time to change careers!

The first thing I'll say is don't believe all the stories you will be told about 50k earnings etc. This is just a sales tactic by the training companies. You could work 80 hour weeks, self employed and not earn half that figure.
I'm currently doing the train for trade skills course and find it very good and enjoyable. However, I am a self employed electrician and have been in the trade for 12 years. I already have a lot of the practical skills that newcomers will need to learn and an understanding of the industry. I have also constantly worked alongside plumbers and picked up a few bits of info along the way. I am doing the course to add plumbing and heating install skills to my current business (even so, I don't expect to be doing this for at least a couple of years) and therefore the quals don't interest me as much as I will never be applying for a job as a plumber.
The train for trade skills course will NOT qualify you as a recognised plumber and neither will the vast majority of training centre courses. They will heavily imply it (another sales tactic) but trust me, they won't. In my opinion the only route for someone fresh into plumbing and construction is to go to your local college and start from fresh. This is the only viable way if you are looking for eventual employment as a fully qualifed plumber. You will very probably also have to start off as a mate/adult trainee/improver on lower wages.

I hope thats helpful, please feel free to ask any more questions.

Hi msec,

Iv been flying for 8 years now and its become very boring/mind numbing, I want something more challenging that you have to actually use your brain for! I no its a bit late to be starting at 30.

Are you doing the c&g 6129 course?

there are loads of threads on the 6129, check them out, there is very little work for plumbers especially newbies, you may be years away from earning 22k
if its defo what you want and your prepared to be out of work if you have to be then id support your decision all the way, im just saying be careful

My advice to you JaimeT is to make sure whoever you go with can offer you not only the 6129 tec cert but also the NVQ2 6089. Some training providers prepare you for the NVQ2 (like train 4 trade) but don't offer the qualification as they aren't registered for it. You can check this information with city and guilds. Get the company c&g reg number, call C&G quote the reg number of the company and ask if they are registered to offer the 6089 NVQ2. Don't always take things for face value.

Good luck mate!

being able to offer it is only half the battle, you then need an employer or you wont pass

You could go and learn the basics of plumbing from a weekend course - or a 1 week course that focuses on the practical side of things, read books while you are working and pick up the 6129 later (a large portion maybe 60-70% of it is under pinning knowlage, maybe 30% or less of the course is practical as in you might actually use it in the real world!)

I am not joking here - i get letters every month from guys who have done the 6129 and are so desperate for practical experience, that they are prepared to work for free . . .

I dont know whether your finances can take the strain of that? You could start up in your spare time, alongside a part time (preferably well paid) job!

It is true, many of us on here would kill for a nice secure job that pays 20k or more a year - bare in mind that the grass is always greener!!

Dont be put off by your age, as I am 37 and only learnt a few years ago - I am lucky and have done amazingly in the 'getting experience' departement. It is the 'getting enough work to survive' department that is lacking. There are lots of guys who are excellent skilled plumbers, who dont have enough work these days, its down to the economy (and many other factors!)

Think hard and well on this one, is my reccommendation!

Good luck!

JaimeT

Just wait till the new year alot going on at the moment and you may find that you can do the new diploma which is the technical certificate and work based all in one. Get some work and try and learn what you need to.

Its not too late to start, I just started my course in September and I'm 38 as well.
I am doing mine at a state-funded college in East London, Mondays and Thursday nights. Its a pity you cant get a more regular schedule on your existing job to enable you to do this.
Unfortunately as well, and not to put a damper on your idea as it could just be my college ... but where I am, this is the last year you're able to start the plumbing course when you're NOT working in the industry already, as I guess a plumbers mate or doing some form of apprenticeship.
Im planning on doing plumbing jobs alongside my normal job (in Banking) as and when I can, once I have the practical skills and know-how ... also thought about doing jobs for friends/family/facebook mates etc. for free as experience once I'm able (but they'll need to pay for the materials).
All good.

Its not too late to start, I just started my course in September and I'm 38 as well.
I am doing mine at a state-funded college in East London, Mondays and Thursday nights. Its a pity you cant get a more regular schedule on your existing job to enable you to do this.
Unfortunately as well, and not to put a damper on your idea as it could just be my college ... but where I am, this is the last year you're able to start the plumbing course when you're NOT working in the industry already, as I guess a plumbers mate or doing some form of apprenticeship.
Im planning on doing plumbing jobs alongside my normal job (in Banking) as and when I can, once I have the practical skills and know-how ... also thought about doing jobs for friends/family/facebook mates etc. for free as experience once I'm able (but they'll need to pay for the materials).
All good.

not just your college, the colleges do not make the decisions on what can run, the sector skills council do, therefore if it applies to your college it applies to all, and it does.
the ONLY FULL TIME COURSE, will be a building services course

local colleges are desperate to draw women into the trades in my experience, and you may find it easier to get an apprenticeship with a company than most 18 year old lads, based on the fact your older, more mature attitude and some companies are looking for woman to train as some householders prefer women in their home rather than some of the local plumbersI know, who tend towards scruffy clothes and metal work hanging off every spare piece of flesh. Age isnt a barrier, I trained at 45 and got my gas tickets at 49 so not an issue, youve just got to find a few friendly tradesmen willing to help and a local college who will certainly push you forward. If your amature student at a local college they may well have the finances in place to pay for your traing so talk to them before you part with a lot of money to a short course trainer, by attending a course over 4 years you would gain experience ovr time as well.

job is whats needed, any college can take someone if they have a job, if they dont they cannot take them as an apprentice
the job is the first thing not the college

talk to the local colleges, they can help find the apprenticeships etc as they have staff on site to do this. Funnily enough I never had a job with a firm throughout my time at college, as I was self employed in the industry already and used my contacts to get the experience I needed and portfollios etc. This was after everyone told me, including some of the tutors no job no course, so dont believe everything you read. This is more so in your case as a female as I said previously, the colleges are very keen to promote women in the construction industry and this can help your case. I also know of other mature students like my self who have done the 4 year college route off their own backs and are working in the industry now, many of my younger compatriots who followed the formal apprenticeship route have given up whild=st at college or since leaving, so be aware it isnt easy but you can earn a reasonable living in the long term.

not many colleges find jobs, some offer placements but these are rare as it aint easy to get people in work. if a college takes on an apprentice without a job they will not get the outcome and therefore they dont want to take on a failure
as i said before, the nvq can be obtained by self employed, not many young people will take this route, only mature people really
no job=no apprenticeship, not the same as saying no nvq, they differ
all academic really, next year it all changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help!! Where do I start?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock