Search the forum,

Discuss Advertising- can you say what you want. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millsy 82

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
As I'm working away cooking in a roof space I've got pirate fm on my radio which I've noticed over the past couple of weeks has become plumbing fm due to the amount of plumbing adverts coming on and they all say roughly the same thing like Cornwalls premier plumbing and heating or no1 and so on.

Which got me thinking bearing in mind I'm miserable as hell due to working in a roof space all day yesterday and a couple of hours this morning, how the hell can they say there the premier or no 1, I very much doubt any of them are number 1 in the county and how have they worked this out? Have they phoned every other company and said what is your feedback from your customers or how many customers have you got etc it's impossible for them to know who is the best in the county! So they are basically full of ****.

Any way ciggie break over now time to get back in the bloody roof space!

I guess anyone can say they are number one, or elite, or professional, or Best (like me! Lol!).
Those words are accepted as just advertising yourself or opinion.
It would be different if you advertised you were gas registered and weren't for example.
It annoys me to see vans with fantastic claims on their sign writing when I know the plumber is an idiot.
If you can't beat them, - join them! As they say

Lots of this BS around Plymouth area, young guys with smart new vans claiming to be experts in everything, all sorts of expensive sign writing on van 6 mths later they have vanished, Talk the Talk, But Cant Walk the Walk.

You find out how little some of the "experts" know when you are standing beside them when at merchants and hear the conversations.
Funny when they are struggling to know what materials they need. I remember one guy was doing a entire house and buying materials was asking for copper tube (most plumbers I know call it pipe) and then needed a copper cylinder but was unable to speak when asked what size.

Whoa I call it copper tube sometimes ( the old boy that taught me called it tube) so what you saying about me? Lol

One claim I've always found questionable is "with over 20 years experience" out comes a plumber in his early 30s, makes you wonder at which point he started counting.

I do this too but I think it's more of an age thing.

Going out with my trousers on is an achievement these days.....

Do you write everything out on a pad/ piece of plasterboard/ cardboard like me then forget where you have put it?

Do you write everything out on a pad/ piece of plasterboard/ cardboard like me then forget where you have put it?

I don't write anything down i walk in the merchants and state what i need as i plan the job in my head .Jobs in the past have been like 40 k just walk in and talk it through lol.
Oh i call it lengths not pipe or tube just state diameter

I don't advertise, my van is bare silver and i don't answer the phone and always tell cants in the pub i'm too busy (cos they want it for fek all) i but i manage to work 7 days a week (any excuse to get out the house).
I have a bit of an advantage tho where i have a (pretty loyal) customer base of around 1200 who should see me out until the day i stop the van on the Forth road bridge, get out and throw my tools over the edge then get promptly arrested. That has been my lifes ambition for about the last 20 years and i count down the days ;)

I don't advertise, my van is bare silver and i don't answer the phone and always tell cants in the pub i'm too busy (cos they want it for fek all) i but i manage to work 7 days a week (any excuse to get out the house).
I have a bit of an advantage tho where i have a (pretty loyal) customer base of around 1200 who should see me out until the day i stop the van on the Forth road bridge, get out and throw my tools over the edge then get promptly arrested. That has been my lifes ambition for about the last 20 years and i count down the days ;)

Will you think about throwing yourself off as well ?? :angelsad2:

I call it bundles of pipe. Always think wtf when i'm standing there behind someone asking for a lenght of pipe and 3 elbas and a tee

Never understood that either, saw it yesterday and I always wonder how people get by when they buy exactly what they think they need for a job. What happens when your idea doesn't go to plan and you need more fittings?!

I actually hate going into merchants and do 95% internet order (Williams etc), I know in my own head exactly what I want but can never get it across.

In Naylor Myres yesterday I can a total brain fart and couldn't explain I wanted 3 3x3 and 2 4x2 timbers. I just needed to see them and choose myself. Its awalys first thing in a morning and my brain is asleep and I come across a numpty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advertising- can you say what you want. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I've been running an UFH installation/ repair business for 7 years now and one of my main frustrations is finding the parts for the UFH. I've got quite good at it over the years being able to recognise the manifold brand and generation by just looking at it but then I have to go through...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm really here with the agenda of getting other peoples thoughts on charging deposits. To date I usually charge a third of my labour to hold a date for a customer. I've had no issues until recently where 2 of my prospective clients have tried to negotiate a lower deposit or change the...
Replies
Views
Hi All Newbie so please bear with. We are selling our old house - built 1880. The purchaser has shared their survey report which states that the pipe work in the loft is of DIY standard. This was done before we bought house 10 years ago, and everything works fine but obviously I have to try and...
Replies
Views
Hello. This is my first ever post asking for help. I had a bathroom renovation done early this year which I did myself. I wanted to have a low level shower tray sitting flush to the ground and was not able to get access to the main vented stack as it's boxed in from the inside of the house and...
Replies
Views
Greetings All One Week Before Christmas, Ok got this British Gas 330+ my late mother had installed 10 years ago. Been working OK ish up till now then suddenly hell freezes over. First the Central heating wont come on (green light)afternew batteries from the WF Hall Thermo Wireless...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock