Search the forum,

Discuss 2015 Labour rate survey in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ray Stafford

Hi All

We are in the process of gathering data for our 2015 "state of the trade" survey, in conjunction with Heating & plumbing magazine.

We have run this for many years now, and publish the results in the mag and online - including on this forum. Our aim is to provide plumbing and heating engineers and firms with market information to enable them to make better informed decisions about their own business.

Obviously the more tradesmen and companies that participate in the survey, the more useful the survey becomes, so please take a few minutes to complete the survey and get the chance to win an Apple iWatch thingy.

If you choose to complete the name and address data at the end (and thus enter the draw for the iWatch) we may use your data for marketing purposes, but will never pass it on to any 3rd party, and we will never disclose your individual responses to anyone. All data is anonymised before analysis and publication.

Just for clarity, in the labour rate questions, the figure we are after is how much you/your company charge the customer, not how much you personally get paid if you happen to be an employee or contractor.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards

Ray

Try again

Attachments

• Williams & Co 2014 State of Trade Survey.pdf
    80.4 KB · Views: 43
alreadey got one ...loool

[DLMURL]https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=JN.JD%2baxt86WQEco%2bJvOrXfzw&pid=15.1&P=0[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Same blooming hourly rate as 10 years ago! I bet I'm not the only one.

Same blooming hourly rate as 10 years ago! I bet I'm not the only one.

Hi Paul

I looked back to 2007, which is the first year that we really gathered good data, and subjected it to reasonable statistical analysis. It was also the last year before the crash and credit crunch.

Whats interesting is that the bottom quartile has hardly moved. In 2007 the bottom quartile was £26.50 for Gas and £25 for non-gas plumbing. The equivalents in 2014 were £30 (up 13%) and £25 (no change).

However, the median and upper quartile figures have risen sharply.

2007 median Gas work was £35, now £45, up 28.6%
2007 upper quartile gas work was £40, now £55, up 37.5%
2007 median plumbing was £28, now £35, up 25%
2007 upper quartile plumbing was £35, now £45 - up 28.6%

So there definitely does seem to be a category of plumber, or a category of work, that is still stuck at 2007 price levels, but there is a larger group (or a different type of work) which has broken free.

It isn't geographic - in fact over the years there has been an equalling out of labour rates across the country, and the only area now which commands a noticeable premium is inside the M25, and particularly in London itself. But this weird trend is true both inside and outside of the M25.

The other noticeable thing is that virtually no-one charges a labour figure that isn't divisible by 5. This means that tradesmen get behind - you should have put your rate from £30 to £31.25, and then to £32.75 and then to £34.19 and so on. But because people don't do that, after a few years, the accummulated inflation means that they need to add a whole tenner an hour to their rate. They rightly fear that their regulars will react badly to this.

The other noticeable thing is that virtually no-one charges a labour figure that isn't divisible by 5. This means that tradesmen get behind - you should have put your rate from £30 to £31.25, and then to £32.75 and then to £34.19 and so on. But because people don't do that, after a few years, the accummulated inflation means that they need to add a whole tenner an hour to their rate. They rightly fear that their regulars will react badly to this.

same with drug dealers.

Last edited:
Done and done.

Done, always interesting to see the results of this.

Hi All

for those of you who completed the online survey - many thanks. We have had a lot more responses this year than in previous years, which improves the accuracy.

If you haven't completed it, please do so now - it will be closing early next week.

The survey outcomes will be published here, and in the HPM magazine

Here's the link

Hi All

for those of you who completed the online survey - many thanks. We have had a lot more responses this year than in previous years, which improves the accuracy.

If you haven't completed it, please do so now - it will be closing early next week.

The survey outcomes will be published here, and in the HPM magazine

Here's the link
Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 2015 Labour rate survey in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock