Search the forum,

Discuss Yorkshire 3/8" plastic pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been doing plumbing and heating for 11 years since leaving school and this week I came across this pipe for the first time and severely struggled to find anyone who knew what i was on about when ringing around for a fitting. If you are unaware of the pipe its a dark grey colour and fittings are solvent weld. Kuterlite apparently do a fitting that is compression to 15mm. I used a philmac universal transition connector but had issues when contacting them as they said it couldn't be used although clearly stating on the package it can be used on imperial abs/pvc pipe. Has anyone else come had a similar situation and how did you overcome it as no where stocks the kuterlite fitting

whats it suppling mains water or heating ? as 3/8 id or od? and 3/8 is round about 10mm

It was mains cold water and it measured about 17mm. It confused me as like you say 3/8 is meant to be about 10mm

Is it something like Acorn, pre hep2o solvent fittings.
Not sure about the grey but we have an estate which was done in brown solvent weld fittings, think that was Acorn.

its says yorkshire 3/8" on the fitting. Apparently the company that used to make it back when there was a copper shortage (before my time) it was used then. best way to describe it is it looks like a thicker grey version of condense pipe just a little smaller

17.1mm outside diameter was known as 3/8" imperial for some reason, (and I was around then)

im glad i wasn't around when sizing made no sense at all. Am i right to assume to jointing method is using cleaner first and then the solvent

im glad i wasn't around when sizing made no sense at all. Am i right to assume to jointing method is using cleaner first and then the solvent

yes and a lot more prep and a pita last time i used it you have to leave it 24 hours for the glue to set before even looking at it

so if you were to go to a property where this had split you would go through the process of ordering the parts then fitting, leaving for 24 hours and then going back to test? or would you use a different fitting?

so if you were to go to a property where this had split you would go through the process of ordering the parts then fitting, leaving for 24 hours and then going back to test? or would you use a different fitting?

would be either rip out or put a (what ever size plastic/abs it is) to 1/2 for a male iron

Last fitting I got was solvent socket to male iron then used copper fittings from then on. This plastic was from the main stop tap. Also a local plumb center. Had a stock of fittings.

Looks like 3/8ths durapipe, same stuff, solvent cleaner then glue and leave 24hrs. Although we have opened the main after 8 hours and had no trouble. There's an estate near me all done in this, it seems like only a select few locals know where to buy replacement pipe/fittings.

Looks like 3/8ths durapipe, same stuff, solvent cleaner then glue and leave 24hrs. Although we have opened the main after 8 hours and had no trouble. There's an estate near me all done in this, it seems like only a select few locals know where to buy replacement pipe/fittings.

North west? It's not in Leigh is it ?

the fitting that was recommended was a kuterlite 1710kp is a compression imperial to metric connector. But i used a philmac UTC fitting that you would see on the shelf in plumb center. Is like an mdpe connector but can be used on the majority of pipe material and adjusts from 15-21mm

good luck in getting small orders of durapipe esp imperial stuff

BEP industrial in Blackburn will sell one length of pipe and one fitting if that's what you require.

in imperial ? asked locally and they always come back min order lol

earlier pipe was nominal bore(average) modern pipe is is outside diameter supposed to be exact, the 3/8 is 9.35mm I could go on but wont bore anyone.
its either metric or imperial or from the 1960/70`s when we had that rubbish when steel stuff when copper was in short supply

in imperial ? asked locally and they always come back min order lol

Ye Shaun, 3/8" ID. Maybe we're just lucky but it's the only place round here I know of that still sells the pipe and fittings. In fact I keep thinking about going down there and buying a fair bit ''just in case'.

I think the pipework may be old solvent weld "hunter Genova" from the 80s
Real pain to get adaptors but I have got round this by using a john guest 15mm to half inch push fit coupler there are loads of estates by me filled with the tat. It's about 17mm o/s diameter but they seem to work good luck

I read about connecting to old steel / copper

my bad its metric if that recent

It's the same as dura pipe, you can still buy imperial and metric pipe and fittings in dura pipe from bss and pipe center. It's used in commercial/ industrial cold water systems. You used to be able to get fast set pvc cement for it but that's been removed from sale and you can only get the 24hr stuff now.

On 3/8 I normally use a 3/8 to 1/2 adaptor, a 1/2 female and a standard compression 15 x 1/2 male iron.

its best to advise your customer that it's probably very brittle and should be replaced.

If your struggling for fittings go to the local cafe or merchant where the council plumbers hang, if the area has this pipe they will know where to get the fittings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Yorkshire 3/8" plastic pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was just interested if people put solvent weld on both the pipe and fitting or just the pipe when glueing overflow/condensate pipe.
Replies
Views
Trying to connect up new 40mm waste into the old soil stack (which would be an absolute pain to remove), it's all Osma pipe, from the 70s. Pulled out the old waste from the boss and discovered the seal is pretty knackered, hardened and cracked everywhere (red coloured seal in the photo)...
Replies
Views
N
Hiya, my toilet has 110 pipe going to master boss fitting. It's not glued and loose. I think as it's going to master boss that's why it's never glued. It has one drop of water leak after every flush. What I can use to stop leak at same time in utue if It needs to be removed it can be removed...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, Can anyone help? I have been searching but with no luck. I am trying to fit a Duravit shower trap which has a 50mm outside diameter euro pipe size outlet. I need to attach it to a 40mm UK size waste pipe and would prefer to solvent weld it as the pipe will be under a tiled...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Have got an old 60/70s PVC soil stack, the Toilet is going into a Hunter branded socket which has an old O-ring design (quite flat with 3 or 4 ribs on it). It's painted in a fetching pink/purple colour in the photo. Tried to revive it with some grease before inserting a short length of...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock