Search the forum,

Discuss Fitting European shower trap to 40mm waste pipe in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone help? I have been searching but with no luck. I am trying to fit a Duravit shower trap which has a 50mm outside diameter euro pipe size outlet. I need to attach it to a 40mm UK size waste pipe and would prefer to solvent weld it as the pipe will be under a tiled floor. Can someone please point me towards what adaptors I can buy to achieve this? I am nervous about using compression fittings given I will never be able to get at this joint once the room is finished.

Thanks,

Shower traps are nearly always compression I wouldn't worry too much just crack on

Take a look at Mcalpine multifit which is the purpose made fitting for transition from european pipe sizing. They will have the size you need and are the industry leader in compression waste products

Depending on what plastic that duravit is made from it may not even be solvent weldable. The other option is to put in a different waste fitting and send the duravit back

I’d use McAlpine Z28L which is 50mm to 2”; then use 2” solvent weld pipe which you can reduce down to 1 1/2” if you need to, but if not run it all in 2”and you’ll have no problems.

Thanks Ben-gee,
That's what I was thinking although I've found this:

which I was thinking of then using with a reducing pipe insert from a swimming pool company:

Cheers,

David

I’m not a fan of pushfit personally and prefer compression as I feel you are more in charge of it - if that makes sense, but either of the above would be fine.

I’m not a fan of pushfit personally and prefer compression as I feel you are more in charge of it - if that makes sense, but either of the above would be fine.
Thanks Ben,

I ended up going with a McAlpine Euro 50mm to UK 2" adapter (compression fittings), a piece of 2" pipe and then a 2" (weld ) straight connector with a 2" to 40mm reducer (weld) which I can then connect to the 40mm welded waste. Phew!

Now, does anyone know an easy way to cut 40mm pipe that is disappearing down an eves gap of a roof (to exit on the outside wall)?! I'm not even sure if a junior hacksaw can fit across the pipe.

Cheers,

David

Inside cutting wheel with an arbor and a drill with a steady hand or a pipe slice for plastic

Thanks Ben,

That sounds like a very pragmatic (and cheap!) solution. The cut does not have to be too square as it is a solvent weld join so plenty of room on the sleeve.

So have started fitting all the bits together and so far, so good. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

The mini-hacksaw blade with a piece of cloth wrapped round it and bent at 90 degrees ended up being the best bet. I tried my dremel but just didn't have enough room to use it. So long as the blade is new it cuts really well with hardly any back and forth motion.

Reply to Fitting European shower trap to 40mm waste pipe in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock