Search the forum,

Discuss Vermiculite / Asbestos in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

joni os

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Until now I have been guided by John Addison's paper: "VERMICULITE IS NOT ASBESTOS" Addison-Lynch, Edingburgh February 1994.
Today I encountered a case where Surveyor refused to enter loft space until Vermiculite tested.
If HSE guidance has been changed could someone update me.
If test now required, should we regard it as a business opportunity, take samples and submit for testing.
Ensuring our health and safety and in part recouping cost of site visit.

Vermiculite is not asbestos. It's a mineral in its own right. But in America they found that the mine that produced most of the american stock was contaminated with asbestos. So therefore all vermiculite is now deemed to be treated as if it is asbestos.

Thanks Chalked. Do you have a HSE link to this that can be printed off to show clients.
With particular reference to "TREAT AS IF ASBESTOS".
I can forsee a lot of 1960/70s houses needing certification.

Can't find anything mate.
Looks like it's all about potential risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vermiculite / Asbestos in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Vaillant EcoTec 931 R1 47-044-32 I have worked in this industry for over 40 years and never experienced this. One of the issues being that the boiler is fitted in a property that I own and rent out. Apologies for the length of this post but it is a long and involved story and if any of you have...
Replies
Views
R
Hi all, I'm after some advice if poss. Arrived at a full heating install yesterday at 8.30am. The customer let me in and immediately informed me that the artex on the ceilings had been tested and contained asbestos. I contacted the company that I'm contracting for to let them know and was told...
Replies
Views
Mike Jackson
M
WITH ALL THE REGULATIONS IN PLACE THESE DAYS, WE MUST BE SAFER NOW. AS YOU WILL SEE FROM THE (CO) CHART AT THE BOTTOM WITH ALL THE SAFER DESIGNS OF BOILERS ALL THE CONTROLLING BODIES, BELOW SMOKE ALARMS LESS OPEN FIRES HAVE WE ACHIEVED ANYTHING BY BEING GAS REGISTERED THERE ARE OVER 200000 ROAD...
Replies
Views
U
Studies have shown that the UK wastes an estimated 3 billion litres of water every day, and water bills continue to increase year on year — yet there’s a simple solution that could help the country to significantly reduce its water consumption. Simon Cottom, MD of Cottam & Preedy, highlights the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock