Search the forum,

Discuss Asbestos incident in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rickster123

Hi all, I'm after some advice if poss.
Arrived at a full heating install yesterday at 8.30am. The customer let me in and immediately informed me that the artex on the ceilings had been tested and contained asbestos. I contacted the company that I'm contracting for to let them know and was told its ok, we have a mission statement that allows us to do it. I refused. Wasn't happy with the idea as the customer seemed obsessed with the asbestos issue. She told me a story about a friend of hers who had made a huge claim after a simular incident. Alarm bells rang in my head!
the company then sent a guy out who said he had brought the special Hoover for me. Again I refused and told him he can drill the 8 holes required as I wasn't going to. He rung the office who told him to get on with.
I left him to it and waited outside. He came out 10 mins later saying it was done. I went in and found a coating of white dust everywhere. Customer went mental. But I was told by the firm to carry on. Got as far as removing the old isar and hung a vaillant. Then was called and told to leave site as Heath and safety people were getting involved.
now my question. Have I done anything wrong here? I'm worried sick. Didn't sleep last night because I was so angry about being left in that position with the customer to deal with. I just don't want any comeback on me.
Sorry it's such a long winded thread but I'd really love some advice from those who have any previous experience of this.

Thanks
adam

First thing I would have wanted was to see the test report showing that it contained asbestos, custs or full of brown stuff. If it did I would be gone.

There are two main catagories of asbestos, licensed and un-licensed. It is permissable to work with un-licensed abestos as lind as special care is taken. Full PPE, damp down area, seal cut edges with pvc glue etc. However i thought that you cant use a hoover as its an air moving device and is likely to spread the dust around.

I think what you did is fine

It's a certain type of Hoover. My gut told me to get out at 8.35am Monday. But the woman had young kids and no heat or hot water and I wanted to get that sorted. Plus no work means no money as its all price work.
the guy who drilled the holes used no ppe. He left doors and windows wide open front and back so the dust has spread like mad. And instead of 2 holes for a drop he's done 4 on each drop because he hit joists!

You should have not gone back in as if there was asbestos as it will contaminate your clothes then you sit in your van and contaminate that and so on.

2 Lads working for our company went to a property in Bristol I think sheet asbestos where the boiler was due to go so they moved it to another location so they didnt disturb it left for the night leaving all their tools in there the tenant decided he didnt want asbestos in his house so smashed it out the lads went in in the morning walked straight out sat in van asbestos company came tested house huge levels in house van and on there clothes. HSE were called house was sealed up van had to be completely cleaned by asbestos company and all clothes removed and the lads were stood in the street in their boxers. The last I heard was the house was still sealed up with all tools still in their 10 weeks later as levels were still too high to go back in.

If you think its there dont touch it and if your bosses have said to do that I will imagine HSE will have them by the short and curlies. I had 1 boss tell me to remove an asbestos box around the top of a cylinder he got a 2 word answer.

I went back in because I thought he knew what he was doing. Turned out not.
thanks for the info chaps. Can't help but worry.

Hi all, I'm after some advice if poss.
Arrived at a full heating install yesterday at 8.30am. The customer let me in and immediately informed me that the artex on the ceilings had been tested and contained asbestos. I contacted the company that I'm contracting for to let them know and was told its ok, we have a mission statement that allows us to do it. I refused. Wasn't happy with the idea as the customer seemed obsessed with the asbestos issue. She told me a story about a friend of hers who had made a huge claim after a simular incident. Alarm bells rang in my head!
the company then sent a guy out who said he had brought the special Hoover for me. Again I refused and told him he can drill the 8 holes required as I wasn't going to. He rung the office who told him to get on with.
I left him to it and waited outside. He came out 10 mins later saying it was done. I went in and found a coating of white dust everywhere. Customer went mental. But I was told by the firm to carry on. Got as far as removing the old isar and hung a vaillant. Then was called and told to leave site as Heath and safety people were getting involved.
now my question. Have I done anything wrong here? I'm worried sick. Didn't sleep last night because I was so angry about being left in that position with the customer to deal with. I just don't want any comeback on me.
Sorry it's such a long winded thread but I'd really love some advice from those who have any previous experience of this.

Thanks
adam

You are the only person in the whole episode who has done the right thing, the only thing you did wrong was going back into that house. If the Health and Safety had got their before you left site, they would have stripped all your clothes off and you wouldn't be allowed to leave site until given the all clear. If I ever suspect Asbestos I don't touch anything until its been checked and a clean air certificate given.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I personally think you've done everything right. You didn't drill the holes or contravene any regs.

I'm cross with myself for not going with my gut instinct which was to get out of the job straight away.

drilling it was probably the worst thing they could have done personally id contact h and e for your personal safety remember youve possibly taken it home on your clothes theres been lots of cases of wives being effected by washing husbands clothing

You correctly reported the issue to your supervisor and did not disturb the artex. The person who came to shadow vac would have needed to be qualified to do so and have all the correct equipment.

Your responsibilty was to report the problem, your employer is responsilble to have an asbestos managment system in place and provide you with trai ning in asbestos awearness. If this job was for a landlord/HA then the landlord has a responsibility to record and manage any asbestos in there propertys. This also includes informing any workers performing work in the property where the asbestos is.

As regards your safety i would contact the hse and ask for advise, if you have been exposed to asbestos then you will want to get rid of your work clothes, any thing that has come into contact with you after the exposure etc.... If you do an asbestos awearness course you may be shown a video of some people who are dying from asbestos related illnesses, one or two will have been exposed to it from a family member taking it home with them from work. So if you get exposed its very important not to take it home with you and risk the health of your family.

Me personally i would be getting legal advise and requesting a health checkup...... thats after stopping myself breaking your gaffas legs.

I wouldn't panic too much about your exposure to asbestos. The amount in artex is minimal. It's more a case of CYA when working with it. Most of the dust was probably from the plasterboard as well.

Having said that you were in the right for reporting it and everyone else deserves to be dragged over the coals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Asbestos incident in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock