Search the forum,

Discuss Van HELL!!! Any advice very welcome - going to buy a new one. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannypipe

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Well my van won't start. The AA are on the way....but I've had it with the van anyway. It's too small by a long way. (Vauxhall Combo).

So anyone who's recently bought a new or nearly new van, who has any advice on lease hire, or hp or anything at all. Please let me know.

I bought my last two vans at auction. The one before that off a mate....so don't have much to go on with regards to leasing.

I want something pretty big, LWB transit size ideally.

I'm now going to start shopping.

Oh and have about £3000.00 deposit. So not much.

Last edited:
Would recomend a transit. I bought mine from swains services in iver and got good terms with them, check out their website

I looked at a transit couple weeks ago 62 pre reg 3000 deposit 3000 trade in 285 over 3 year's I think it was , bit if you vat registered an went through ford finance u had to pay vat up front

Why you have to pay the VAT upfront!!!?

That doesn't sound too bad a deal.

Cant remember why something to do with the finance, wouldnt effect me not vat anyway

Oh well, I better ask the guy at Ford.

AA should be here any minute. They've just text me.

Anyone want to buy a van!! LOL

55 plate Vauxhall Combo. 58,000 miles. One careful owner (the rest didn't give a ****).

Ha.

Wonder what it's worth in all seriousness. Been a good van up until now.

Last edited:
The new shape is already on the forcourt at that dealer i didnt haggle as only went in on a wime when mine was peeing me off but accountant recommends getting a new one, fancy a change anyway 74000 lwb vivaro second one ive had

Being VAT reg you can claim the VAT back I assume

Cos i was thinking of swapping anyway plus my current one is all claimed up for in my tax return everyyear so no benifit to be had there. Dont know how you"ve survived out that little van so long get the AA to get it going long enough to trade it in somewhere

Believe me, working out of that van has been a total nightmare. Never had such a small van before. But it was such a great deal. At the time it had done 15,000 miles was ex BT, so not had a hard life, and I paid £3700.00 for it.

Actually think I'm in the same boat as you regarding the van, it's all claimed for. Yes Blake, I can claim the VAT back. Which is a bonus....

Silver lining, I have a repair cover with the AA which I just cancelled on my new policy. Luckilly new policy doesn't kick in until the 10th. So AA will put £500 towards any repairs. Talk about lucky - if they don't have small print to wriggle out of it that is.

The prospect of getting a new van is VERY exciting. I know that makes me a big kid, but we spend so much time in them that having something that makes me happy to drive will great.

Going to pick the AA mans brains on what he thinks are reliable.

The Transit Custom isn't the new Transit, its a bridge between the Connect and standard Transit. Seems like a good bit of kit though.

No danger of that mate. I can't be without a van for that long. I have had to cancel two jobs now. So it's costing me money as we speak. :(

I'm sick & tired of my little Combo aswell, (I mean really). Finished a big job yesterday and just threw everything in, 2k of powertools crammed in tight against the roof and I need to go out RIGHT NOW and sort it out. Hope you get sorted Danny.

AA have been. Fuel pump. Just taken it to the local garage.

Now popping out to have a chat with a Renault dealer . He suggested the Traffic.

Get the sportive model with full electrics and air con etc :)

Don't touch the Renault, my oldest lad has one, been nothing but bother.

go online and find cheapest loan deal, either use that or go to your own bank and see if they match the interest rates offered, need a written quote, probably a lot cheaper than van finance. contract hire is cheapest form of getting a van in that the cost are tax deductable straight way, but not your van. leasing you pay vat up front due to vat rules but of course u get it back straight way. me i only by a yr old van as depreciation hit already taken and u can buy a can to make it smell like new!

Had my transit for 8 years. Cracking vans. Reliable, comfy, decent load space. I wouldn't be without it.
but now I'm on the cards I'm driving a company van. Vw transporter. It's like driving a car! Very comfy, great on fuel, goes like a bat out of hell too!

I have a 2008 transit 2.4 300 mwb mrf for work and think it is a great van. It has only been started 4 times in 6 months and doesnt miss a beat.

Tamz, 11.5K plus VAT?

Been out to two dealers, Renualt and Vauxhall. Lookung at the Vivaro and the Traffic.

Quite a lot of dosh to buy new. An ex demo Vivaro, 20,000 miles on a 61 plate for £9,950.00 +VAT.

That seems pretty reasonable. Tempted to get a small loan and go to the auctions again. I've always had pretty good vans from there in the past. Apparently the list price for my Vauxhall is over £3k from a dealer and I should get £2500 for it once the fuel pump has been changed.

Won't see much change out of a grand for that job, but I am covered for the breakdown warranty, so looking at £500 for repair, hopefully a bit less.

They always have preregistered ones on offer. It is to do with their discounts from the makers.
I've bought a few vans from the market over the years and always been lucky.
Btw i sold a 56 combo for £500 last year (taxed and mot'd for 6 months) to a mate but i only paid £1900 for it at an auction in 2009. It was a bit rough looking but a good runner.

Is that a Saturday van Michael or are u really really quite

Im employed mate but medically suspended since august last year. Have a 51 transit 280 swb for personal use but havent been doing any work yet just prepping for self employment mate. Should be forcibly self employed in a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Van HELL!!! Any advice very welcome - going to buy a new one. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock