Search the forum,

Discuss Urgent advice needed about hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, newcomer here looking for urgent advice as I am not sure what to do. I moved into my flat about 6 months ago and the landlord had installed a compact combi boiler which is about 3 years old and said it doesn’t need servicing. The problem is that whenever I use the hot water to (shower/bath/wash hands) my skin gets chapped I break out in a terrible rash which starts out as an itch then always a tiny cluster of little blisters appear which then bleed when scratched (looks similar to a fracking rash). I have never had any skin problems before and only when I moved into the flat that I noticed after about a month I was always itchy after using the hot water, so I decided to do some detective work.
The stopcock under the sink was replaced last month so that is fine, the pressure on the boiler is also fine, the mains cold supply is safe and I don’t have a water tank as the water is supplied via the cold mains. I told the landlord who said there shouldn’t be a problem as the boiler was checked a few years ago. I was told not to touch the “cold water inlet stopcock” which is just under the boiler but I did turn it to see what it does, instead of the cold water it controls the hot water pressure and clockwise it turns the water off and anti-clockwise it turns it on. Now for the strange part, when I turned it halfway I noticed within days that whenever I used the hot water I didn’t itch and the rash started to clear so what could the problem be does something need be replaced or is some inlet/outlet part in the wrong way around? How much is the cold-water inlet stopcock meant to be turned because when I turn it fully anti-clockwise and have a lot of water pressure, my skin breaks out, becomes chapped and the blisters appears.
Would anyone be able to offer any help or advice on this because I finally managed to get this flat and this problem is stressing me out that I am considering moving out and will then have to forfeit my deposit. I feel disappointed that the landlord and agency are not considering this as a problem because they say that everything such as the safety of the drinking water is safe but I know the problem lies with the hot water as I left for a few weeks and stayed at a friend’s house and my skin cleared up including the blisters but as soon as I came back to my flat within days it reappeared.
I would be very grateful if anyone can offer me any advice or suggestions thank you.

Very weird. You only need to post once otherwise the mods will think it's spam. Is it all hot water outlets or just the shower

Ps a gas boiler needs servicing every 12 months. Typical landlord thinks that a gas safety certificate is all he needs for a healthy boiler

Hi, BobbyJoe, thanks for posting. Can't give specific answer, but can confirm friend had similar problem, which, until reading your post, I had dismissed as an unspecified allergy. Her husband was unaffected and she was able to shower at other properties in the area IP33. with no adverse effects. Symptoms cleared up when they moved to new property, in same town.
Both properties had combi boilers so I would not identify combi's alone as the cause. What combi's will do is take cold water, chemically treated for safety and clarity, heat, and send it instantly to your hot water outlet. With a regular boiler, the body of water is heated at a slower pace and any transient effects of heating have time to stabilize in the DHW cylinder. Hopefully other posters will be able to clarify . Please keep us informed of your outcomes.

Get your landlord to service the boiler and change your soap, sounds like your using drain cleaner instead of shower gel
SPAM

Thank you so much everyone for the answers so far, the water in the kitchen and bathroom are both affected, I know it comes across as odd. My landlord knew I was a vulnerable adult and I feel is taking advantage because he cant be bothered to look into the matter which I don't understand because an agency handles everything concerned with the flat. I have been using a lot of ointments from my G.P and taking allergy medication for months but nothing is helping as my skin is really bad including eyelids, ears which are the most sensitive.

The Boiler is now going into its 4rth year since installation and has never been serviced so I think a servicing should be done and I will demand one because it could be a part needs updating or cleaning. The agency told me that a gas safety check was done last month and nothing is wrong however a gas check doesn't check the boiler and the parts or does it? If the landlord refuses to help any further then I will seek out a boiler engineer to check it all out because I can not keep on living with this and worse case scenario will need to move out.

Vokera 29a Compact Combi Boiler (4rth year in)

Hi I just need some clarity on something, the landlord just informed me "That a gas safety check has already been carried out on the boiler this year and the landlord does not require to carry out a service as this is not a safety check". But I was talking about a boiler engineer coming out to service the boiler but he didn't answer this question, so I need to know do I need to get a engineer to come and check it or is what the landlord stating enough not to, thank you for any clarity. If I get an engineer to service it what is an rough estimate of cost?

Sadly there is no legal requirement to service the boiler. A landlord is obligated to carry out a gas safety inspection on an annual basis if they are letting the property to tenants.

I'm really sorry but I'm really struggling to understand what a Combi boiler can possibly do to cause this. I think as we said before if there were stored water hot or cold then it would make more sense but I'm just struggling to understand how essentially a water heater could cause such symptoms. I'm kind of with a last plumber to have a water analysis carried out

You are 100 % right.

Baffled to say the very least here !

Are you sure it's not soap or a hand towel you're using ?
I know people who are affected by washing powder on clothing. If they use a different powder it brings them out in eczema !

Could it be that ?

Try non bio detergent for your clothes and baby soap for you. give it a couple of weeks.

I know the issue is mind boggling but there has been a sign of light at the end of the tunnel which might explain the root of the problem. It isn’t my washing powder/soaps or towels because I moved out for a few weeks used the exact same products etc.… and there was no issue with dry skin/itchiness/rash. The water has been tested by the council and so far, everything ticks the boxes.
Now what I did was turn the small back square cold water inlet stopcock clockwise (it is under the boiler on a pipe) more than halfway and now the hot water pressure isn’t exactly great however my skin is not dry, itchy and so far, no more tiny bumps or the appearance of a rash. Have I solved the problem only time will tell, but is it advisable to turn the cold water inlet stopcock clockwise as another two turns and it will turn off the hot water supply, fingers crossed this was the problem.

It may have sorted it for you but it's not right you shouldn't have to turn down the water going through the Combi it should restrict it to a suitable lpm allowing the boiler to heat it properly. Post a picture of what you've altered

It doesn't let me put the image up, it keeps saying denied and forbidden. I have found a pic of what it looks like when not attached to a pipe vokera cold water inlet stopcock.

This doesn't make any sense! Not dismissing your suffering at all, but as someone said earlier on, if the hot water were stored there could be a possibility of some contamination. As it is, your hot water is nothing more than your old water running through a heat exchanger. If the cold water doesn't bring you out in a rash, I really can't see how the hot can. Even if we accept that warming the water encourages some sort of microbial growth, the water is flowing, and heated on demand, so there's no time for bacterial or fungal growth!

I just cannot see how turning the cold water isolation valve down to reduce the flow could prevent the skin irritation, unless your skin is very delicate or thin, and the hot water flow is really strong, and causing a sort of abrasion injury to you? But then I'd expect the cold to do the same...

Very very odd! I hope you do get to the bottom of this!

I took off the wooden panel which was covering the pipes and was inspecting the pipes and valves with the boilers' instruction manual and which way is the filling loop meant be facing such as the valves? There are two black levers at each side and I was reading something about a non return valve could this be something to look at all as they are both facing clockwise.

I took off the wooden panel which was covering the pipes and was inspecting the pipes and valves with the boilers' instruction manual and which way is the filling loop meant be facing such as the valves? There are two black levers at each side and I was reading something about a non return valve could this be something to look at all as they are both facing clockwise.

Actually you could be on to something there.. If the NRV is sticking open then system water could be mixing with the cold water going into your boiler, contaminating that, but leaving your cold water supply uncontaminated...

We need photos of that pipework. There will be an arrow on one or both of those valves on the filling loop. Close-ups showing the valves and arrows would be particularly helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so I have taken some photos of the filling loop and valves (sorry they aren't exactly the best). On the black lever on the right side of the filling loop there is an arrow pointing upwards yet the black valve is facing another direction. With the black valve on the left side of the filling loop I can't see an arrow pointing anywhere on the valve. Any further clarification on this thank you.
WIN_20161103_12_14_47_Pro.jpgWIN_20161103_12_15_29_Pro.jpgWIN_20161103_12_18_59_Pro.jpgWIN_20161103_12_19_06_Pro.jpgWIN_20161103_12_22_08_Pro.jpgWIN_20161103_12_22_32_Pro.jpgWIN_20161103_12_22_50_Pro.jpg

You've been adjusting the filling loop? If so mate this is rubbish

You've been adjusting the filling loop? If so mate this is rubbish

No, from descriptions in previous posts I think he's reducing the cold inlet flow into the boiler with the square black knob on the inlet pipe.

Okay so I have taken some photos of the filling loop and valves (sorry they aren't exactly the best). On the black lever on the right side of the filling loop there is an arrow pointing upwards yet the black valve is facing another direction. With the black valve on the left side of the filling loop I can't see an arrow pointing anywhere on the valve. Any further clarification on this thank you.
View attachment 27919View attachment 27920View attachment 27921View attachment 27922View attachment 27923View attachment 27924View attachment 27925

The position of the black valve handle on the right is fine - it shows that the valve is closed. The handle on the right shows the valve is open, and it should not be. Actually, to comply with water regs it must not be, and the braided hose must be removed from between the two valves unless filling the system.

The right-hand valve is facing the wrong way but that is not the non return valve, the left hand one is, and there will be an arrow on there somewhere. Please have another look and post the photo..

No I haven't touched the filling loop but adjusted the cold water inlet stopcock. How does the filling loop seem, as I am not sure if the left side of it is turned the right way because the black lever is turned fully anti-clockwise and I am not sure if should be turned clockwise or not (see previous pic) I will take another picture.

Last edited:
No I haven't touched the filling loop but adjusted the cold water inlet stopcock. How does the filling loop seem, as I am not sure if the left side of it is turned the right way because the black lever is turned fully anti-clockwise and I am not sure if should be turned clockwise or not (see previous pic) I will take another picture.

You need to turn the left hand valve of the filling loop to the off position - ie crosswise to the valve body. It should turn 90 degrees clockwise.

I have now turned the left hand valve of the filling loop to the off position (fully clockwise) I took a picture of what it looks like now does it seem okay because before it was turned fully anti-clockwise.
P.S I had asked my landlord for the boiler installers' details and he said that he couldn't remember and gave me a number instead, but the number he gave me doesn't exist anymore.
WIN_20161103_13_41_53_Pro.jpgWIN_20161103_13_42_12_Pro.jpgWIN_20161103_13_42_12_Pro.jpg

I have now turned the left hand valve of the filling loop to the off position (fully clockwise) I took a picture of what it looks like now does it seem okay because before it was turned fully anti-clockwise.
P.S I had asked my landlord for the boiler installers' details and he said that he couldn't remember and gave me a number instead, but the number he gave me doesn't exist anymore.
View attachment 27929View attachment 27930View attachment 27930

Yes that is correct but we still need to see the arrow on that valve. It contains a check valve, so it can only be fitted in one direction.

I looked at it and at the back of it there is a arrow pointing upwards how does that seem? In fact both of the black levers on filling loop on the left and right side have arrows pointing upwards, thanks

Last edited:
I looked at it and at the back of it there is a arrow pointing upwards how does that seem? Thanks

Pointing upwards is correct - it's allowing water into the system from the mains but not back the other way. If my theory is correct about contamination, the non return valve could be stuck. There is a way of checking but I'm reluctant to suggest it as it could cause a bit of a flood. Remove the braided hose (the U-shaped silver pipe that sits between the two valves), making sure that both valves are closed, and that there are no drips from either of them. Whether your rash clears up or not will prove or disprove my theory. In any case, it will mean you're complying with water regs...

Thank you so much for all of the information provided so far. If I can't open the braided hose will the water now be okay as I turned the left valve on the filling loop to the correct position. Also because the valve was turned the other way (anti-clockwise) what exactly was it doing to the water as contamination was mentioned. My skin looked like it was burnt as it would dry out and burn which continued for 6 months, if this issue has been resolved then I can not thank everyone enough and can finally focus on healing. I will keep you updated on this issue many many thanks.

Thank you so much for all of the information provided so far. If I can't open the braided hose will the water now be okay as I turned the left valve on the filling loop to the correct position. Also because the valve was turned the other way (anti-clockwise) what exactly was it doing to the water as contamination was mentioned. My skin looked like it was burnt as it would dry out and burn which continued for 6 months, if this issue has been resolved then I can not thank everyone enough and can finally focus on healing. I will keep you updated on this issue many many thanks.

It's just a theory at the moment. It would be irresponsible to speculate. Let us know how your skin fares over the next few weeks. I'm genuinely curious and interested to know if my thinking is correct (and in your wellbeing, of course!)

The braided hose should come off easily enough - it's the two nuts with "wings" on them that you need to undo. Should only be finger tight...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Urgent advice needed about hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock