Discuss Urgent advice needed about hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have now turned the left hand valve of the filling loop to the off position (fully clockwise) I took a picture of what it looks like now does it seem okay because before it was turned fully anti-clockwise.
P.S I had asked my landlord for the boiler installers' details and he said that he couldn't remember and gave me a number instead, but the number he gave me doesn't exist anymore.
View attachment 27929View attachment 27930View attachment 27930

Yes that is correct but we still need to see the arrow on that valve. It contains a check valve, so it can only be fitted in one direction.

I looked at it and at the back of it there is a arrow pointing upwards how does that seem? In fact both of the black levers on filling loop on the left and right side have arrows pointing upwards, thanks

Last edited:
I looked at it and at the back of it there is a arrow pointing upwards how does that seem? Thanks

Pointing upwards is correct - it's allowing water into the system from the mains but not back the other way. If my theory is correct about contamination, the non return valve could be stuck. There is a way of checking but I'm reluctant to suggest it as it could cause a bit of a flood. Remove the braided hose (the U-shaped silver pipe that sits between the two valves), making sure that both valves are closed, and that there are no drips from either of them. Whether your rash clears up or not will prove or disprove my theory. In any case, it will mean you're complying with water regs...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for all of the information provided so far. If I can't open the braided hose will the water now be okay as I turned the left valve on the filling loop to the correct position. Also because the valve was turned the other way (anti-clockwise) what exactly was it doing to the water as contamination was mentioned. My skin looked like it was burnt as it would dry out and burn which continued for 6 months, if this issue has been resolved then I can not thank everyone enough and can finally focus on healing. I will keep you updated on this issue many many thanks.

Thank you so much for all of the information provided so far. If I can't open the braided hose will the water now be okay as I turned the left valve on the filling loop to the correct position. Also because the valve was turned the other way (anti-clockwise) what exactly was it doing to the water as contamination was mentioned. My skin looked like it was burnt as it would dry out and burn which continued for 6 months, if this issue has been resolved then I can not thank everyone enough and can finally focus on healing. I will keep you updated on this issue many many thanks.

It's just a theory at the moment. It would be irresponsible to speculate. Let us know how your skin fares over the next few weeks. I'm genuinely curious and interested to know if my thinking is correct (and in your wellbeing, of course!)

The braided hose should come off easily enough - it's the two nuts with "wings" on them that you need to undo. Should only be finger tight...

The static water pressure in the mains supply will be higher than pressure in boiler and rads. Backflow contamination of mains water will only occur when pressure is equal or less. However, mains pressure drops significantly when tap is opened.
The OP mentions that restricting hot water flow by adjusting inlet valve at boiler improves situation. This would keep mains pressure higher, reduce backflow contamination, and is consistent with Masood's hypothesis.
Disconnect fill loop as advised. Hopefully, your condition will improve and your posts have been informative for others.

Last edited:
Thank you I will do as Masood and Joni have suggested as last night for the first time after taking a shower I didn't itch myself to death! I will check the filling loop later today and yesterday once I turned the left side (filling loop) lever to the correct position I also turned the cold water inlet stopcock (black square) fully anti-clockwise which has given me full hot water pressure throughout the flat. The reason for doing this was to assess if this will help or hinder my skin and I will turn the cold water inlet stopcock clockwise whenever I feel the need to for example if my skin gets dry/itchy again because when it was turned more than halfway clockwise I had low hot water pressure but my skin was improving. Only time will tell and I am really hoping the fact the left lever on the filling loop was the problem because it was turned in the wrong position and Masood pointed out that it should have been turned clockwise not anti-clockwise, so lets see what happens and I will keep posting with updates.

Last edited:
Thank you I will do as Masood and Joni have suggested as last night for the first time after taking a shower I didn't itch myself to death. I removed and checked the filling loop and there was no leak in either side of the pipes, also yesterday once I turned the left side (filling loop) lever to the correct position I also turned the cold water inlet stopcock (black square) fully anti-clockwise which has given me very powerful hot water pressure throughout the flat. The reason for doing this was to assess if this will help or hinder my skin and I will turn the cold water inlet stopcock clockwise whenever I feel the need to for example if my skin gets dry/itchy again because when it was turned more than halfway clockwise I had low hot water pressure but my skin was improving. Only time will tell and I am really hoping the fact the left lever on the filling loop was the problem because it was turned in the wrong position and Masood pointed out that it should have been turned clockwise not anti-clockwise, so lets see what happens and I will keep posting with updates.

I checked that there was no leak from both valves which connect to the filling loop would it be safe to remove it from the two valves or must that silver braid stay in place."Remove the braided hose (the U-shaped silver pipe that sits between the two valves)". When I disconnected it at first there was a little water sitting in the pipe not much but I drained it out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Urgent advice needed about hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I need some urgent advice. I've Just come home after going out for evening, to discover hallway floor and kitchen floor covered in water. On...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Could someone please explain if this set up is normal and what changed: Stopcock under kitchen sink turns off cold water supply in...
Replies
Views
Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I wonder if you can help me? I have intermittent hot water low flow from all taps in my 4 bedroom house upstairs and downstairs. I...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock