Discuss Soil pipe branch pipe question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I did ask this question a few days ago, but I wasn't quite sure from the answers if what I was doing was ok. So I'm asking again with a specific question. This is sketch of the branch pipe I am proposing to fit. soil.pngThis is a 40mm bath waste pipe.The total fall is much higher than the building regs H1 document 18-90mm/m. The length of the horizontal run is around 2.5 m, and will be 44mm/m gradient.
Is fitting the vertical section of 40mm pipe ok ? I was going to fit a hepvo trap/valve on the bath waste so I think it should satisfy the requirements in H1 ?
Thanks

Is the only a bath going into it where's the basin going ??

Not sure why fitting a HepvO trap will help with your fall? Looking at your drawing you have a lot more fall that 90mm.
Is there something I'm missing?

The horizontal sections of the pipe require the fall.
Each section of horizontal pipe requires its own fall.
You don't include any vertical sections of pipes fall.

Not sure why fitting a HepvO trap will help with your fall?
The building regs H1 quote the fall figures for an unvented branch pipe, as I understand it with a greater fall causes a higher water flow which means there's maybe enough negative pressure to empty the waste trap. If you vent a waste pipe then you can have a greater fall. The hepvo being dry will allow the negative pressure to be released, and then seal the waste again. Am I misunderstanding ?

Looking at your drawing you have a lot more fall that 90mm.
Is there something I'm missing?
The fall on the horizontal section of the branch is 44mm/m, and I set the length of the vertical section so that the horizontal section fall is about right. The total fall is definitely higher than 90mm/m, but venting the branch should then prevent problems ?

Last edited:
The horizontal sections of the pipe require the fall.
Each section of horizontal pipe requires its own fall.
You don't include any vertical sections of pipes fall.

Ok, that's the bit the H1 regs do not mention anywhere that I can see :) I did think if you had a long vertical fall there is a risk the trap could have it's water seal pulled out by the pressure caused by the water falling down the vertical pipe section ?

The fall on the horizontal section of the branch is 44mm/m, and I set the length of the vertical section so that the horizontal section fall is about right. The total fall is definitely higher than 90mm/m, but venting the branch should then prevent problems ?
Its the first time you have mentioned an unvented soil pipe.
with an unvented soil pipe I would be more worried about gas pressure build up than too much water flow to drain 3" bath trap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Soil pipe branch pipe question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock